Movie Theatre For Downtown Houston

Fair enough...it doesn't have to be on main (as long as i can grab a butera on main ricco)...however, i do think the location at 723 main is awfully inviting for a theater or two...has anyone strolled by there?

I don't agree that you need more residence to make it successful downtown...granted the weekdays might be meager...but there is a large student population at UH main campus that has to go a long way for movies...plus, it would be more of a family draw...even out the general demographic that comes downtown on the weekends.

*I* agree with you on that, but the thing is you have to be able to have a readily available amount of people in the area, especially if they think parking is going to be an issue.

At least, that's what the execs would think. DraftHouse, Angelica, and Mainstream theaters each have different Demographics they appeal to and if one other theater shows up, there will be a boom of more people downtown.

It all boils down to, which comes first, the chicken or the egg? You can't have people w/o additional entertainment....but you can't have additional entertainment if there aren't people there to support it.

Ricco

so is the Alamo Drafthouse seats like regular movie seats with trays? or big tables?

They modified the theater to take out every other row of seats and put in tables in front of the seats. Between each row of tables and the backs of the seats in front of them is a space for the servers to walk in to serve food and take orders. The seats themselves are like regular movie seats.

They modified the theater to take out every other row of seats and put in tables in front of the seats. Between each row of tables and the backs of the seats in front of them is a space for the servers to walk in to serve food and take orders. The seats themselves are like regular movie seats.

Thats pretty cool

I agree, plus there won't be a theater until a couple one or two more residential towers are made and have at least 70% occupancy.

The market has to be there to be feasible. Maybe they can dear down the garage for the old Texaco Building (1111 Rusk) and turn that entire block into a multiuse building including a theater. That location would be a very good one. I don't think EVERYTHING has to be on Main.

Ricco

One major problem: Parking. Bigger retail in these old buildings would be great. But, you have to provide parking in large numbers. I would LOVE to see a movie theater, but I am afraid that parking is keeping it from happening.

I agree, SOME parking is necessary, but you must also construct for the demographic you're shooting for. People aren't going to generally drive all the way to downtown to watch a movie. Most of them will be from nearby communities/lofts to watch the movie, so at most, they may need to park their segways and bikes. it also have to be relatively close to a railstation as well or people from the East side will also go to the theater as well by simply hopping on the bus.

The plot I was suggesting would be almost perfect because of it's proximity to businesses and new residential properties in the area.

Those that are local who want to watch a movie that live nearby can just walk to it.

People that are working who don't want to deal with traffic can stay behind and watch a movie to let it thin out a bit wouldn't necessarily have to worry about parking.

Ricco

don't necessarily know about the rooftop parking,but perhaps there can be underground parking for a level or two. and possibly connect to the tunnels from there. (for the business man who wants to play hookey for a few hours)

The thing is to let people park their cars elsewhere or to simply design it with the immediate population in mind. People will adjust.

Ricco

Don't most downtowns have more than one movie complex? Lets see, Portland, San Francisco, San Diego, Denver, Minneapolis, Chicago, Seattle, Vancouver, Toronto, New York, New Orleans, D.C., Boston, Columbus, Pittsburgh and so on. Lord, why on earth does big sprawling downtown Houston have just one place for movies? Some of the places I mentioned the movie houses are across the street from each other, a block away from each other, 2 blocks away. It makes absolutely no difference, the people come. Megaplex, multiplex, bring it on. They will work. If cities across America can do it, why can't Houston. Make no excuses about Houston not being a tourist town. Many non-touristy cities have them. More movie theaters would change the face of downtown Houston forever.

All the cities you mentioned have zoning laws, many quite strict. In Houston, movie theaters can be built wherever someone chooses to; usually where land is cheap and within a reasonable driving distance of a market. In other cities, businesses are restricted to specific areas, and the critical mass that is required for a thriving downtown is achieved. Coupled with efficient mass transit, no wonder they're able to support multiple theaters in their downtowns.

With land prices in downtown Houston going up, and the slim profit margins of movie theaters, it's easy to see why no one has taken that chance yet. Why bother, when you could make just as much money by operating a surface parking lot until someone makes an offer too good to refuse for the land?

I believe a step in the right direction for the revitalization of downtown is to tax the hell out of surface parking lots, thus making higher, better use of the land more attractive - including movie theaters. This change would have to be approved by the Harris County Tax Assessor-Collector's office, an elected position. Since the interests in question are major campaign contributors, don't hold your breath.

• 1 year later...
Don't most downtowns have more than one movie complex? Lets see, Portland, San Francisco, San Diego, Denver, Minneapolis, Chicago, Seattle, Vancouver, Toronto, New York, New Orleans, D.C., Boston, Columbus, Pittsburgh and so on. Lord, why on earth does big sprawling downtown Houston have just one place for movies? Some of the places I mentioned the movie houses are across the street from each other, a block away from each other, 2 blocks away. It makes absolutely no difference, the people come. Megaplex, multiplex, bring it on. They will work. If cities across America can do it, why can't Houston. Make no excuses about Houston not being a tourist town. Many non-touristy cities have them. More movie theaters would change the face of downtown Houston forever.

Are you suggesting that all of those cities have multiple movie complexes in their downtowns? Color me skeptical. I cannot think of any movie complexes in downtown DC, let alone multiple.

Are you suggesting that all of those cities have multiple movie complexes in their downtowns? Color me skeptical. I cannot think of any movie complexes in downtown DC, let alone multiple.

I really don't care about getting more movie theatres in downtown, but there are several in DC, most of them new. Depending on what you consider "downtown", there is one in Dupont Circle, one in Georgetown, one on 11th and I think even one more close off of 8th street. All are new for the most part, within the last 5 years for sure on the Georgetown and the ones close to the MCI center.

There's one movie theater complex in DT Miami--but it's at Bayside, which does next to nothing for DT street life. Bayside sits on the coastline, segmented from downtown by Biscayne Blvd. Baytown itself, though insulated, is vibrant. Think Baltimore's harbor but without the visceral connection to the surrounding buildings.

In fact, Bayside is more like Uptown Park here in Houston, only with a waterfront and marina.

There's one movie theater complex in DT Miami--but it's at Bayside, which does next to nothing for DT street life. Bayside sits on the coastline, segmented from downtown by Biscayne Blvd. Baytown itself, though insulated, is vibrant. Think Baltimore's harbor but without the visceral connection to the surrounding buildings.

In fact, Bayside is more like Uptown Park here in Houston, only with a waterfront and marina.

More of everything and almost anything on street level would be great. I think that most everything that is located either in a tunnel or connected to a building to an extent really doesn't contribute all that much to growth on street level. Venue opened in the 723 Main theater space. What is going on with the Majestic Metro theater at Preston/Main? Does it get a lot of use ? It would seem like a natural for a movie theater. i saw my first Bruce Lee movie there when i was a kid. I believe that thinking of ways to back fill spaces with scaled down versions of those large users, like movie theaters, and large stores typically found outside of downtown in terms of area might also be a solution and may make some sense. I think the key is also in getting the first one of these newby recognizable retailers on the ground and open for business. Once that happens then I think the rest will quickly follow behind. It seems like everyone is kind of waiting to see who is going to be first to actually dive in and open like Sakowitz & HP to see who is going to be first. My hats off to Venue for believing in the area, throwing down, and opening a beautiful high end club and live entertainment venue.

Downtown still doesn't have the demographics to support certain businesses. The owners of the day spa at the Rice are having to sell because of not a particularly robust business. They had been looking at other downtown locations because the owner's the Rice were considering using the space for a community room. I knew they explored the four seasons but then decided against it when Aveda also pulled out of a proposed day spa there becuase of poor demographics.

For me personally, in the last yr or so, the Downtown area has not improved. A few businesses have opened and a few others have closed. I know that the numbers of homeless/street people has appeared to have gone up. THis also will be a deterrent to those who would support a generic multi-screen theatre.

I personally had stopped going to Angelika cause your clothes always smelled of Harlon's Barbecue by the time the movie was over.

Unfortunately most that ride public transportation tend to be below middle class. Many of the bus lines connect downtown and would be an easy way to find good customers. But instead, they'll only patronize the mcdonalds, cvs, popeyes. etc.

I personally had stopped going to Angelika cause your clothes always smelled of Harlon's Barbecue by the time the movie was over.

I go to movies at the Angelika all the time and never noticed anything like that. Anyway, it's a non-issue now as Harlon's has been closed for well over a year... maybe two years now.

I go to movies at the Angelika all the time and never noticed anything like that. Anyway, it's a non-issue now as Harlon's has been closed for well over a year... maybe two years now.

Were either of these places the spa or the theater on street level ? If they were located within a building and not at street level without any exposure then I don't have a hard time believing that they closed. If they were not then i don't believe that you can blame the demographics of downtown on that. If the occupancy level is high at the rice, then it should really be a non issue. Delis in buildings come and go but they are directly dependant a lot of times upon perhaps where they are located in the facility and how well the occupancy is doing. Sometimes it comes down to whether or not the operator has a good personality that really makes the difference. ie: the 3 rules of retail are: out of site, out of mind, and out of business.

Were either of these places the spa or the theater on street level ? If they were located within a building and not at street level without any exposure then I don't have a hard time believing that they closed. If they were not then i don't believe that you can blame the demographics of downtown on that. If the occupancy level is high at the rice, then it should really be a non issue. Delis in buildings come and go but they are directly dependant a lot of times upon perhaps where they are located in the facility and how well the occupancy is doing. Sometimes it comes down to whether or not the operator has a good personality that really makes the difference. ie: the 3 rules of retail are: out of site, out of mind, and out of business.

I will say the spa is "changing owners" but it does have a large sign at street level. The Rice itself has a high turnover rate of businesses and residents due to the current management of the building. And yes Harlon's has closed so i've returned to the theatre.

I will say the spa is "changing owners" but it does have a large sign at street level. The Rice itself has a high turnover rate of businesses and residents due to the current management of the building. And yes Harlon's has closed so i've returned to the theatre.

That's interesting that the turn over rate would be high at the Rice. You would think that the Rice would be one of the comps. that these developers would be looking at in terms of developing the new residential product that announced starting at, i believe app. $1,800/Month? Do you know if they are signing really short term leases to have such high turnover ? Are the spaces getting back-filled quickly,etc ?

That's interesting that the turn over rate would be high at the Rice. You would think that the Rice would be one of the comps. that these developers would be looking at in terms of developing the new residential product that announced starting at, i believe app. $1,800/Month? Do you know if they are signing really short term leases to have such high turnover ? Are the spaces getting back-filled quickly,etc ?

I just talk to several people who live there. I know a couple from NOLA who moved there after their French Quarter place was badly damaged. He worked here 4 days a week anyway so they decided to move here. I see them at least once a week and they have mentioned several times that the resident turnover is high cause they repeatedly see people move in and out. A business owner i know there said Randall Davis sold out to a company in Dallas (i think) and that is when the high turnover started. Mgmt is poor is the general consensus.

Archived