Movie Theatre For Downtown Houston

I don't know, what do you think guys? A movie theatre downtown Houston could with a small array of night cafes right next to it could possibly do the trick to bringing some more street life downtown. The idea of an arcade like an ESPN zone would be good too. Last month i visited Denver Colorado for the first time in a while and they have done well with their downtown. This is where i actually got the idea from. On that downtown poll at houstondowntown.com i actually put that in as a suggestion.

We have a movie theater downtown with a mix of restaurants next to it. The Anglika Film Center at Bayou Place has been open for over five years now. Granted most of what they show are not the big Hollywood blockbusters, the theater does a pretty good business with those who like independent art films, foreign films, and other non-mainstream movies.

Of course it's not directly on Main St. where much of the new development is occuring.

We have a movie theater downtown with a mix of restaurants next to it. The Anglika Film Center at Bayou Place has been open for over five years now. Granted most of what they show are not the big Hollywood blockbusters, the theater does a pretty good business with those who like independent art films, foreign films, and other non-mainstream movies.

Of course it's not directly on Main St. where much of the new development is occuring.

Oh i hope i didn't look too stupid :lol: I wasn't aware of it, i am still pretty new to town. But it should be closer to Main Street and should show a more variety of films to appeal to all ages of crowds.

I love having the Angelika downtown. They always have a great selection of movies, and it is one of only three nationwide. The movies aren't all foreign or "arty", but they do avoid action and special effects spectacularas. Could downtown support two multiplexes? Generally movie theaters have to be spaced apart a fairly wide distance. I guess something like an AMC would be OK if the Angelika were closed, but otherwise I'm happy with what we have.

BTW, isn't an "urban-type AMC" something like an urban-type Walmart? I have a hard time picturing it outside its native suburban habitat.

I think another theater would be fine downtown...but a megaplex may not be the answer...

An interesting thought...the first movie theater in Texas was in a location (if i'm not mistaken) at 723 main...which is now the houston bar center. This space is now visible from the sidewalk if you walk by...it is the vast empty space right next door to Mantra, one door south. This space could easiliy accomodate two movie theaters...it would be great to see an entity like Alamo Drafthouse or comparable, take on a project there. It would be the best spot, imho.

I love having the Angelika downtown.  They always have a great selection of movies, and it is one of only three nationwide.  The movies aren't all foreign or "arty", but they do avoid action and special effects spectacularas.  Could downtown support two multiplexes?  Generally movie theaters have to be spaced apart a fairly wide distance.  I guess something like an AMC would be OK if the Angelika were closed, but otherwise I'm happy with what we have.

BTW, isn't an "urban-type AMC" something like an urban-type Walmart?  I have a hard time picturing it outside its native suburban habitat.

Well many major cities like New york for example have an amc downtown. But of course New York is a whole different story than Houston, but still it would be a lot better than a wal-mart.

BTW, isn't an "urban-type AMC" something like an urban-type Walmart?  I have a hard time picturing it outside its native suburban habitat.

Actually, there is an "urbay-type AMC" in San Francisco near the Civic Center. It's quite nice, and the lobby is built in an old bank building's lobby. It's absolutely stunning inside, and AMC did a great job of preserving the bank lobby's original artistry.

I love the Angelika as well. I take the light rail to it some, and it really isn't a bad walk down Texas Ave. from Preston Station to get there. When I do drive, the validated parking in the underground garage is nice also.

I talked about this once in the old Houston Architecture Forum, but no one was for it. A Alamo Drafthouse Cinema would be great for downtown, and its better then Angelika, cause it's like an restaurant and a theater combined. You could eat the same food like a restaurant have plus theater food; popcorn, candy, sodas, etc. Alamo Drafthouse would be perfect location for downtown.

I talked about this once in the old Houston Architecture Forum, but no one was for it. A Alamo Drafthouse Cinema would be great for downtown, and its better then Angelika, cause it's like an restaurant and a theater combined. You could eat the same food like a restaurant have plus theater food; popcorn, candy, sodas, etc. Alamo Drafthouse would be perfect location for downtown.

I think an Alamo Drafthouse downtown would be great! I also like the fact that because they serve alcohol in the theater they restrict kids from buying tickets. I am getting sick and tired of parents who have forgotten the definition of "baby sitter" bringing their crying, screaming kids to movies that are inappropriate for them and targeted to an adult audience. A few weeks ago when I went to see Exorcist: The Beginning at the Edwards Grand Palace at Greenway (which used to be more kid-free than it is now) there was a woman with a crying infant behind us. Her friend was also a person who answered her cell phone, which was not set on vibrate, during the film and proceeded to tell the caller in a very loud voice that she was in a movie and couldn't talk long. And then ten minutes into the movie a family comes in with two kids - about ages 4 and 5 - and sits down next to us. Then the parents go to get drinks and popcorn and the kids talk for the next ten minutes until the parents return, despite repeated requests from the adults sitting around them to be quiet. The rest of the movie the kids constantly screamed. I'm usually a very nice, patient person but I finally looked at the mother and told her to either shut her kids up or I was going to go get the theater management. The woman in front of us was worse - she said to her male companion just loud enough for the family to hear "When we have children we won't be rude and bring them to movies late at night that aren't appropriate for them." I think after that comment the parents got the hint (finally!) and made the kids be quiet. I don't pay $10+ to go to an R-rated movie to be disturbed the entire time by incosiderate parents who lack basic parenting skills and their brats. Come to think of it, that's probably another reason I like the Angelika - very few children!

[End rant.]

houstonsemipro...the idea of an alamo drafthouse downtown would be great. i've often thought that it's this type of business that would help turn the tide downtown. There are plenty of bars, restaurants and clubs...we need some other mainstream form of entertainment...the angelika is nice...but it's off the beaten path of main street...and frankly, if you're not into the indy flicks, it serves no purpose. cater to the masses...

I love having the Angelika downtown.  They always have a great selection of movies, and it is one of only three nationwide.  The movies aren't all foreign or "arty", but they do avoid action and special effects spectacularas.  Could downtown support two multiplexes?  Generally movie theaters have to be spaced apart a fairly wide distance.  I guess something like an AMC would be OK if the Angelika were closed, but otherwise I'm happy with what we have.

There is an uran AMC in Fort Worth. Its called the AMC Palace. I've been there and it is nice. It on one of the pics in the Dallas Forth Worth topic in the Dallas section.

I think the drafthouse cinema would be great for downtown also.

I think an Alamo Drafthouse downtown would be great! I also like the fact that because they serve alcohol in the theater they restrict kids from buying tickets. I am getting sick and tired of parents who have forgotten the definition of "baby sitter" bringing their crying, screaming kids to movies that are inappropriate for them and targeted to an adult audience. A few weeks ago when I went to see Exorcist: The Beginning at the Edwards Grand Palace at Greenway (which used to be more kid-free than it is now) there was a woman with a crying infant behind us.  Her friend was also a person who answered her cell phone, which was not set on vibrate, during the film and proceeded to tell the caller in a very loud voice that she was in a movie and couldn't talk long. And then ten minutes into the movie a family comes in with two kids - about ages 4 and 5 - and sits down next to us. Then the parents go to get drinks and popcorn and the kids talk for the next ten minutes until the parents return, despite repeated requests from the adults sitting around them to be quiet. The rest of the movie the kids constantly screamed. I'm usually a very nice, patient person but I finally looked at the mother and told her to either shut her kids up or I was going to go get the theater management. The woman in front of us was worse - she said to her male companion just loud enough for the family to hear "When we have children we won't be rude and bring them to movies late at night that aren't appropriate for them." I think after that comment the parents got the hint (finally!) and made the kids be quiet. I don't pay $10+ to go to an R-rated movie to be disturbed the entire time by incosiderate parents who lack basic parenting skills and their brats. Come to think of it, that's probably another reason I like the Angelika - very few children!

[End rant.]

And I know exactly what you mean, when i saw that movie I was surprised to see little kids late at night watching that movie. It was disturbing for even some older person. I dont think a movie like that is fit for a kid. Plus I hate when people have their cellphones on,especially on ringer. And whats worse, after they have the nerve to leave the phone on, they answer a flashy light up phone. Some people I just can't stand.

I agree that a another movie theater downtown would be good for the area. I was in Detroit a few weeks back and I visited this town/suburb nearby called Birmingham. It actually had a really nice downtown, with at least two theaters in their downtown(they didn't show the same movies). I went at night, and people were walking everywhere going to the movies, the cafes, etc. Anyhow, the theater I went to was pretty cool, about 3 stories tall, I just remember taking a few escalators to get upto the theaters.

So if they did bring a theater downtown, would they build a completely new building or would it be possible to use an existing building?

That is going to be a very good question.

Some of the things that need to be taken into consideration is soundproofing if it's put into an existing structure.

I'm sure if they can do it in New York, it can be done here. Surely they didn't build a multistory building JUST for a theater but have taken a previous building and adapted it.

Anyone from New York, Chicago, or any other Urban setting seen one?

Ricco

An Alamo drafthouse would make a nice addition, since they cater to a different audience than the Angelika and wouldn't really steal business from it. Also they are not built on the multiplex concept. I should have realized there were indeed urban AMCs - I stayed right by one on NYC a few times and forgot about it. Ricco, it is new construction, built onto the back of a hotel. I think the theaters were on the second level and above. The ground level is used by several restaurants that face outside the complex. From what I could see, the theaters didn't seem to draw all that much business. (If you want to check it out, it's right by the WFC on the west side.)

Still, I don't think Houston's downtown has the residential base or dynamics to support two multiplexes. Seems the Angelika plus an Alamo would be a perfect combination.

On the old board someone suggested that an Alamo Drafthouse could be located in the Majestic Metro building. That wouldn't be a bad idea!

Thanks y'all for supporting that ideal, but one thing about it they won't build it on main street, it would be great. I checked main street out for how much is land there. For a square feet of land on main stret is over 200 dollars, just for a square feet. So, any ideals where you would put a Alamo Drafthouse Cinema downtown?

Why do we need another? What's wrong with Angelika?

Now you people are starting to get greedy, the Angelika is like a whole 6 blocks from a point on a map that some think needs to be the epicenter of Houston culture for downtown to survive.

I think a better question to ask is why these two areas of DT (main st/theater district) seem so seperate and how we can better link them.

The Angelika is fine and dandy, but when people do start to move back to downtown, to influence more of a walking culture it wouldn't hurt to have a movie theater that plays box office movies as well, instead of having to drive to the closest one.

Showing movies costs a lot these days, and there is not much profit in it per person, which is why the only places that thrive are the megaplexes and the economy of scale they bring. I just don't see that as feasible in DT. A big box theater chain would never get the deal Angelika has with the city parking garage, which means they would have to build a garage as well as the theater. Who would make that kind of investment on a theater with no guarantee of success when they can build a sure thing next to the latest-greatest subdivision out past the Grand Parkway?

We were lucky to get the Edwards, which was thankfully a success, but I think that's as close to DT as we will see one.

Showing movies costs a lot these days, and there is not much profit in it per person, which is why the only places that thrive are the megaplexes and the economy of scale they bring. I just don't see that as feasible in DT. A big box theater chain would never get the deal Angelika has with the city parking garage, which means they would have to build a garage as well as the theater. Who would make that kind of investment on a theater with no guarantee of success when they can build a sure thing next to the latest-greatest subdivision out past the Grand Parkway?

We were lucky to get the Edwards, which was thankfully a success, but I think that's as close to DT as we will see one.

I'm not so sure that I agree. The number of people living inside the loop is increasing everyday. It's a dynamic that can't be ignored. People are looking for more reasons to come downtown and I think you'll see that a movie theater would fit quite well into the dynamic.

The Alamo Drafthouse does not make $$ via the conventional 'profit per person' model that the megaplex operates by. Simple reason for that: BEER and food. (note the BEER in all caps) Beer and food tend to have good margins...and when you're serving food that's better than the crap that you get at the megaplex, you'll likely sell more per seat. Plus my understanding is that AD serves up pictures a few weeks after their original release date, thus conserving on cost. Plus they're showing old movies as well...i.e. Dirty Dancing and such at present.

A good example of 'greed' downtown is Enron. A bad example of 'greed' downtown: a desire for a movie venue which caters to more than the fans of indy flicks. Having another venue downtown is not a tough thing to request. It makes sense. People are looking for venues other than bars, clubs and restaurants...they're looking for more entertainment.

Regarding Edwards...I'm not so sure that we're all that 'lucky' to get Edwards. I would point out that anyone who gets $20 for a coke, candy pack and a popcorn is the lucky one.

There's nothing wrong with wanting more entertainment, including movies, downtown. But I think Heights Guy's comment was correct. Theater multiplexes are "big box" businesses. Unless it were something like an Alamo, a theater downtown would charge the same $20 as Edwards.

I agree, plus there won't be a theater until a couple one or two more residential towers are made and have at least 70% occupancy.

The market has to be there to be feasible. Maybe they can dear down the garage for the old Texaco Building (1111 Rusk) and turn that entire block into a multiuse building including a theater. That location would be a very good one. I don't think EVERYTHING has to be on Main.

Ricco

Archived