Watercolor Art Society At 1601 W. Alabama St.

goastros

Are there any good art classes in the Heights for a 5 year old? I'm looking for a weekly class (not a summer camp). I tried one of the camps at the Glassell but it's not what I thought it would be. I was hoping they'd teach my kiddo some basic drawing skills--like shapes to use to draw different animals and how to start out with different shapes to draw a person's face. Instead it was just a drawing free for all. I know he's young but he is able to take instruction sheets from the internet and follow the instructions for putting together the shape of a horse and a chicken.

Anyone know of a place that's a little more directed in their art classes? Even a private teacher would work.

De

I don't - which probably answers your question - but you may wish to call the Watercolor Art Society-Houston to see if they offer children's classes. I know most of their classes are adult-oriented, but not sure if this is all.

Here's their information:

Watercolor Art Society

Phone: 713-942-9966

Hours: 10am-3pm, Tue-Sat

You could look in to the Motherhood Center: http://www.motherhoodcenter.com/index.php/children-s-classes/

I can't speak to their art classes personally, but my 18 month old daughter is currently taking the Prelude music class, which is taught by a professional opera singer. My daughter won't be going pro any time soon, but after a couple classes she can actually sorta clap to a beat.

I'd recommend MECA over at Kane and Silver streets.

SO's kiddo has an interest in watercolors and had a great private tutor. From what I understand, there are other art disciplines to pick from if you're interested. PM me and I can give you a bit more information.

Speaking as a professional artist who has an all-level art teaching certificate plus years of teaching experience, I respectfully disagree with enrolling a 5-year-old in a structured art class.

The real benefit of private art lessons for kids this age is questionable and depends on the teacher having specialized training. I've seen children's (and adults') interest in art killed by teachers who show students "how to do it" by having them produce copies of shapes, diagrams, pictures or even the teacher's own work.

Unless a 5-year-old has displayed near-genius talent for depicting accurately what he sees on his own, this sort of experience can be frustrating and actually put a damper on the child's creativity. Every child develops the ability to see and interpret at his/her own speed, and it's a rare 5-year-old who wants to to go much beyond drawing, painting, pasting, modeling and naming simple shapes that remotely resemble people and objects. Kids this age usually have a pretty short attention span and art activities have to be done with this in mind.

Youngsters in kindergarten and early elementary grades do well with washable tempera paint, crayons, markers, cheap drawing paper, colored paper, glue sticks, blunt scissors. There are a number of books for parents to use if they want to spend "quality time" doing art activities with their kids (check the book dep't. at Texas Art Supply). I hope many of them will, because budget cuts virtually eliminated the arts in public schools.

Speaking as a professional artist who has an all-level art teaching certificate plus years of teaching experience, I respectfully disagree with enrolling a 5-year-old in a structured art class.

The real benefit of private art lessons for kids this age is questionable and depends on the teacher having specialized training. I've seen children's (and adults') interest in art killed by teachers who show students "how to do it" by having them produce copies of shapes, diagrams, pictures or even the teacher's own work.

Unless a 5-year-old has displayed near-genius talent for depicting accurately what he sees on his own, this sort of experience can be frustrating and actually put a damper on the child's creativity. Every child develops the ability to see and interpret at his/her own speed, and it's a rare 5-year-old who wants to to go much beyond drawing, painting, pasting, modeling and naming simple shapes that remotely resemble people and objects. Kids this age usually have a pretty short attention span and art activities have to be done with this in mind.

Youngsters in kindergarten and early elementary grades do well with washable tempera paint, crayons, markers, cheap drawing paper, colored paper, glue sticks, blunt scissors. There are a number of books for parents to use if they want to spend "quality time" doing art activities with their kids (check the book dep't. at Texas Art Supply). I hope many of them will, because budget cuts virtually eliminated the arts in public schools.

As I was reading this response, I wondered if that is why the kinds of classes the OP was asking about are so hard to find, i.e. most "real" art organizations would not want to offer a structured class for that age group for the above reasons?

Just for anyone else reading, I highly recommend Carole Smith's studio, McCheek's Mayhem, in the Heights for fun, creative ceramics classes for kiddos.

OMG all you Heightsians and you don't know about Naomi Smulian and her Art Studio on the Boulevard? She does amazing things with kids all at their own pace. It is at Lambert Hall on Heights and 17th (big pirate ship play thingie in the yard). Check out www.loveforlearning.net . Sadly mine kiddos are too old for this any more. Glassell is very good for the right kid, though.

Well, I was happy with the tutor that I hired. For a couple of hours, she was able to show the basics of what she needed to learn and did a great job of boosting the kiddo's confidence in her hobby (watercolors).

Thank you for all the suggestions. I tried to look up MECA but their website is no longer.

I'd love to get him a few private lessons for basic drawing. I looked at the books at Texas Art Supply but they were a little advanced. I found him some more basic ones on Amazon that got great reviews so I ordered them along with some sketch pads.

He has already shown great aptitude for following instructions on using basic shapes to create animals but I wanted him to get a few more ideas. It has increased his creativity since he has taken the basic shapes and ideas and used them to build other forms. I don't want to force him to take classes but if he is interested, I want to provide him with as many opportunities as I can to increase his skill. He is young and he gets all the free form art time he wants in his PK class so I'm looking for something a little more directed.

I'll definitely contact a few of these places and see if they have anyone willing to do private lessons.

Thanks!

De

Thank you for all the suggestions. I tried to look up MECA but their website is no longer.

I'd love to get him a few private lessons for basic drawing. I looked at the books at Texas Art Supply but they were a little advanced. I found him some more basic ones on Amazon that got great reviews so I ordered them along with some sketch pads.

He has already shown great aptitude for following instructions on using basic shapes to create animals but I wanted him to get a few more ideas. It has increased his creativity since he has taken the basic shapes and ideas and used them to build other forms. I don't want to force him to take classes but if he is interested, I want to provide him with as many opportunities as I can to increase his skill. He is young and he gets all the free form art time he wants in his PK class so I'm looking for something a little more directed.

I'll definitely contact a few of these places and see if they have anyone willing to do private lessons.

Thanks!

De

Just googled the site and apparently it is up and running:

http://www.meca-houston.org/

Either way, I wish you the best in what you decide, but I do know instructors there are willing to do private lessons.

• The title was changed to Art Classes In The Heights
  • The title was changed to Watercolor Art Society At 1601 W. Alabama St.

Archived