Grace Pizza And Shakes At 801 Studewood St.

sonic0boom

My Table has this to say:

"We hear that Sonoma Retail Wine Bar and Restaurant will be opening a second location in The Heights at 801 Studewood. The new location will have a casual neighborhood vibe, much like Sonoma’s Richmond location. Owners Farrah Fatouretchi and Dr. Kevin Lisman have some unique design features planned for the new project and report that it will have a larger kitchen and an increased focus on food. The planned opening is April 2012."

I've been there once and it was OK, but I have to admit that 13 Celsius has set the standard really high for wine bars (just as Catalina has for coffee). Still, i have no complaints about a local wine bar if they use proper stemware (see, i am spoiled).

I went to Sonoma once, and it seemed like a bunch of trophy's wifes spending money. Maybe it was just the day I went? It was fun though, i had some good wine and i liked their pizza. With Corkscrew opening back up in the heights i doubt I'll go to this location often. I do however need to go back to Sonoma Valley...

Edited by SilverJK

13 Celsius is the gold standard for enjoying wine in Houston. I once ordered a $80 bottle of Burgundy for special occasion there. After we drank the bottle down, we realized the server brought a $200 bottle by accident. The server wouldn't even let us offer to pay $200 and apologized for bringing the wrong bottle.

Sonoma is actually pretty great too, but more of a well rounded place to eat and enjoy wine. I think the trophy-wife observation is more a reflection of the neighborhood (R.O.) than what the owners are trying to do. They have a great selection of cabs and a great selection of wines by the bottle under $50. I think they will be an excellent addition to the neighborhood. And I think they will compliment Corkscrew nicely as they are a bit less casual and a bit more food centered. Boom-boom and Corkscrew will be great places to go for wine and something to nibble. They also tend to look for deals on lesser known wines. Sonoma will be more of a place to have a meal and to get good prices on a more mainstream wine list. Win-win.

If i remember correctly I ordered a bottle of Artemis when i was at Sonoma, and the price was pretty decent. Your probably right regarding the location causing that observation I made. I haven't been drinking much wine lately... i need to remedy that.

• The title was changed to Sonoma Wine Bar
  • 1 month later...

There are a couple of relevant posts from the Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene forum pertaining to 801 Studewood.

Sonoma, the wine bar at 801 Studewood is closed. 

On 4/29/2022 at 11:56 AM, flatline said:

Big blow to the 'hood. Sounds like she will be opening more of a retail storefront nearby. . .

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/article/Sonoma-in-the-Heights-wine-bar-to-close-June-26-17133472.php

Sonoma in the Heights, the wine bar at 801 Studewood, will close on June 26 after 10 years of operation in the Heights neighborhood.

Owner Farrah Cauley, who built three Sonoma Wine Bar concepts in Houston and Katy, said she was unable to continue her lease at the Heights location. Sonoma’s other locations at 2720 Richmond and 9920 Gaston Road in Katy are unaffected by this decision and will remain open.

“This was not the outcome I had hoped for after several months of negotiations with the landlord, but I had to make this extremely tough and sad decision based on what my business can afford,” she said of Sonoma in the Heights.

. . .

On 5/16/2022 at 9:14 AM, s3mh said:

Sonoma could not come to terms with its landlord and lost its lease on Studewood.  But the Height's loss is the GOOF's gain.  Sonoma is moving to the Stomping Grounds development (which is finally seeing some momentum in building out restaurant tenants).  

The property at 801 Studewood is for sale.

This is the former home of local wine bar Sonoma. Sonoma opened in 2012 and closed its Heights location in June.

VqaO9yP.jpg

5QyxT8n.jpg

Last month, Chron.com published an article about the property going on the market.

"The building is now up for lease, being listed for $166,020 a year, according to LoopNet.

The structure at 801 Studewood was built in 1940 and is described as a second-generation restaurant 'in excellent condition' in the LoopNet listing. In all, it covers 2,767 square feet, plus a 250-square-foot patio on the first floor and a 400-square-foot rooftop patio..."

https://www.chron.com/food/article/sonoma-wine-bar-houston-heights-for-lease-17317001.php

• The title was changed to Sonoma Wine Bar At 801 Studewood St.
  • 1 year later...

On 8/12/2022 at 7:59 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

After a year on the market, the listing for 801 Studewood St is unlisted on LoopNet. I think the listing was removed recently, like late September or early October.

I don't know if the property was sold or leased. There isn't documentation pertaining to the sale of the property in county records, at least I couldn't find anything.

The last occupant of 801 Studewood St was local wine bar and bistro Sonoma.

o2vgnT1.jpg

On 8/12/2022 at 7:59 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/6065-the-heights-restaurant-and-bar-scene-more-coming/?do=findComment&comment=684003

On 7/14/2023 at 10:04 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Grace (aka Grace Pizza & Shakes) is expanding to the Heights area. It's a local pizza restaurant from the team behind Italian restaurant Grazia. There is a location in Alvin and another in Pearland.

I don't know where Grace will be located exactly. It's possible the latest location may be located in the Washington Corridor or Garden Oaks / Oak Forest areas (since some refer to those neighborhoods as the Heights). 

https://gracepizzaandshakes.com

15 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

After a year on the market, the listing for 801 Studewood St is unlisted on LoopNet. I think the listing was removed recently, like late September or early October.

I don't know if the property was sold or leased. There isn't documentation pertaining to the sale of the property in county records, at least I couldn't find anything.

The last occupant of 801 Studewood St was local wine bar and bistro Sonoma.

o2vgnT1.jpg

As noted in July in The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming thread, Grace (aka Grace Pizza & Shakes) is expanding to the Heights. The location wasn't known at the time of the post. However, it is now.

Grace's latest restaurant is opening at 801 Studewood St. Sonoma, a local wine bar, previously occupied the space. I'm not sure if the proprietors of Grace purchased the property or are leasing. There are no records indicating a change in ownership.

Grace is a local pizza restaurant from the team behind Italian restaurant Grazia. In addition to pizzas, the restaurant also specializes in over-the-top milkshakes.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/6065-the-heights-restaurant-and-bar-scene-more-coming/?do=findComment&comment=684003

As noted in July in The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming thread, Grace (aka Grace Pizza & Shakes) is expanding to the Heights. The location wasn't known at the time of the post. However, it is now.

Grace's latest restaurant is opening at 801 Studewood St. Sonoma, a local wine bar, previously occupied the space. I'm not sure if the proprietors of Grace purchased the property or are leasing. There are no records indicating a change in ownership.

Grace is a local pizza restaurant from the team behind Italian restaurant Grazia. In addition to pizzas, the restaurant also specializes in over-the-top milkshakes.

What a great story behind the name of the restaurant!  Hope it does well on Studewood.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Grace Pizza And Shakes At 801 Studewood St.

The Leader reports on Grace's forthcoming location at 801 Studewood St. There aren't additional details in the article beyond what's been posted on this forum. 

https://www.theleadernews.com/food_drink/grace-pizza-and-shakes-to-grace-former-sonoma-location-with-signature-pies-and-over-the/article_d5c9b272-92ef-11ee-9f03-53062b7fae2a.html

Several permits were filed today for 801 Studewood St:

• One story occupancy inspection permit
  • Certificate of occupancy permit
  • Occupancy emergency permit overtime

Details from the permit:

• Use: Occupancy report / restaurant / 2,767 sf
  • FCC Group: Non-residential alteration

Grace (aka Grace Pizza and Shakes) is opening at 801 Studewood St.

One story occupancy inspection permit

MH6kl45.png

Certificate of occupancy permit

qBkzvNp.png

Occupancy emergency permit overtime

tTBKhpV.png

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Exterior and interior photos of renovations at 801 Studewood St. The photos were posted to Facebook in late November and early December.

Grace (aka Grace Pizza & Shakes) is opening at this location soon.

https://www.facebook.com/gracepizzaheights/posts/pfbid02HK2qeEDoyxRs42b1EASsdkSVnT91VTt6AsZqMfpbtnURjAoWVrGSpEHeeRwp4ztwl

tbAPeKf.jpg

aXFXAvg.jpg

KCwRajY.jpg

2zZGQp9.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Grace (aka Grace Pizza and Shakes) posted an update to social media yesterday regarding it's Heights location. According to the post, an opening date will be announced soon.

Based off a few Instagram and Facebook videos, the restaurant has held a few private family & friends events this month. It's possible Grace may open its doors to the public later this month.

Included in the post, is a photo of the restaurant at night. 

Grace is the pizza off-shoot of Pearland's Grazia restaurant. It's located at 801 Studewood St.

Caption from social media:

Your new local hangout spot 🍕

Stay tuned as we will have an official opening date announcement soon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2K9y6rp3yr/

Ih0xcSR.jpg

• Like 3