Drainage tax

houblu

A great deal of rain runs off the roof and onto impervious areas like the driveway and various walkways that route the flow directly into the street. Two thirds of the water that comes off our roof does that. We catch some in a rain barrel, but we don't have a way to get the rest of the water onto the yard.

I'm getting quite nervous seeing over and over how corrupt this city is and wonder if i ever want to become a homeowner in this city.

+1

after the corruption of the process to annex kingwood and watching my property taxes double every 3-4 years and this on top of it I am moving to a different part of town that is not CoH this summer. hopefully

• 2 months later...

The way the Mayor handled this one in the vote was very underhanded and wrong.

Ch2 news had a great editorial today regarding the Mayor's supposedly dedicated fund. Turns out in this yrs budget 50 million of this money is being used to pay salaries and benefits of nearly 500 public works employees which is what she said WOULD NOT HAPPEN when asked prior to the vote.. The Mayor's repeated statements about the dedicated fund will definitely come back to haunt her. Hopefully Ch2 will continue to push the issue.

Ch2 news had a great editorial today regarding the Mayor's supposedly dedicated fund. Turns out in this yrs budget 50 million of this money is being used to pay salaries and benefits of nearly 500 public works employees which is what she said WOULD NOT HAPPEN when asked prior to the vote.. The Mayor's repeated statements about the dedicated fund will definitely come back to haunt her. Hopefully Ch2 will continue to push the issue.

Shocking - a Democrat saying one thing and doing another...Truly shocking. (Democrat could be replaced with "politician" but its not as entertaining)

I saw that yesterday. These funds were to be dedicated to drainage projects, or at least that's what I thought I was voting for. Um, now that I think about it, I got flyers in the mail that very directly stated that these funds could not be diverted. This really pisses me off, if true.

I saw that yesterday. These funds were to be dedicated to drainage projects, or at least that's what I thought I was voting for. Um, now that I think about it, I got flyers in the mail that very directly stated that these funds could not be diverted. This really pisses me off, if true.

Please see my original post.

I think it was naive to believe that the new tax would be used for the promised purpose.

However you can be damn sure that the engineering company that was the front to push this, will get their money. Or the owner(s) will get his/her/their money out of it.

• 1 year later...

As I watched the water rise last Saturday, on my street and on the teevee,I was glad to see the improved drainage measures (paid for by the drainage tax, now in effect around 2 years IIRC) kicking in to improve our drainage!

Maybe I just didn't notice, but has there been even a single PR event about some high-viz drainage improvement construction, orchestrated by mayor or council? Are we supposed to be aware of wide-ranging improvemnts paid for by  that drainage tax?

Where's the cash really going?

• 5 months later...

from Councilman Costello enewsletter

Controller and Finance Director announce additional revenue at yesterday's Budget and Fiscal Affairs Committee

Houston is experiencing good times.  As a result of a booming economy, the city's property values have increased 9% over last year.  Thanks to the charter amendment establishing the ReBuild Houston Program, this means more money, $11.1 million more, for street and drainage infrastructure projects.  This is in addition to the $11 million already budgeted for projects in Fiscal Year 2014.  So, revenues from just this one source of ReBuild Houston funding have essentially doubled.

The ReBuild Houston program is made up of four funding sources:  monthly drainage utility fees; developer impact fees; third-party funds (Metro, TxDOT, grants, etc...); and a portion of your property taxes.  For each $100 valuation of your property, 11.8 cents is transferred to the ReBuild Houston Program.  This money is used first to pay down the city's $1.7 billion of street and drainage debt.  After the debt payment is made, excess ad valorem revenue goes directly to street and drainage projects.  The city is no longer borrowing to pay for these projects. We've cut up the credit card!

• 9 months later...

from today's Swamplot:

http://swamplot.com/city-council-votes-to-drain-houstons-drainage-fund/2014-07-10/

I have fond memories of how it all started, with employees of an "engineering" company handing out leaflets to drum up support for this in Montrose. Then the clunky website, which did not work, but which was supposed to explain it all to you. And the mumbo jumbo about impervious surfaces blah blah.

Raise  your hand if you were naive enough to have ever believed that this tax money would not be diverted to whatever the city felt like spending it on.

• 10 months later...

Interesting that you would link to that particular site.  Mr. Kuffner poses some great questions to opponents of the drainage tax (such as houblu):

If it goes down, then what if anything replaces it? I feel like I spent a lot of time back in 2010 asking Renew Houston opponents what they would do to provide more funds for flooding and drainage improvements, and I never got anything resembling a coherent answer. So I’ll ask again, with an eye especially at the Mayoral candidates. If not ReBuild Houston, then what? How do you provide more funds to do more street repairs and flood abatement? Remember, we live in a revenue cap world, so simply proposing a property tax increase (not that anyone would, I suppose) is insufficient. If you don’t propose some kind of supplemental revenue stream, then as far as I’m concerned you’re not serious about wanting to do street improvements and flood mitigation.

• 4 months later...

What a shame. A booming city that needs funds for infrastructure with a looming pension crisis. I suppose conservatives can claim this a victory,I claim it as a defeat unless conservatives can put some sanity into the unavoidable pension issue.

Archived