A friend of mine showed me his Linux OS (can't remember if it was Ubuntu) this past weekend and I really liked it, so I downloaded Ubuntu and just started using it. I'm really surprised more people don't use it, does anyone else?

A friend of mine showed me his Linux OS (can't remember if it was Ubuntu) this past weekend and I really liked it, so I downloaded Ubuntu and just started using it. I'm really surprised more people don't use it, does anyone else?

What platform are you running ubuntu on? I saw a cheap netbook at walgreen's a while back, think it was $99 or $79, and thought it might be cool to buy one and replace the windows ce or 2000 on it with linix to make a cheaper, faster surfing device.

What platform are you running ubuntu on? I saw a cheap netbook at walgreen's a while back, think it was $99 or $79, and thought it might be cool to buy one and replace the windows ce or 2000 on it with linix to make a cheaper, faster surfing device.

what is a platform? heard it before but don't really know what it refers to. I have an Acer.

what is a platform? heard it before but don't really know what it refers to. I have an Acer.

Platform refers to the hardware. Is it a notebook, netbook, or desktop? How fast is it running compared to a similar windows machine?

Platform refers to the hardware. Is it a notebook, netbook, or desktop? How fast is it running compared to a similar windows machine?

regular laptop. So far I've mainly just been online with it. I've tried opening a few other programs and stuff they have. It comes with firefox and I wasn't that impressed with it. As for the speed, I see some difference but it hasn't blown me out of the water, yet. I'll have to experience with it more than just Chrome, which seems to be about the same except it doesn't seem to highlight the entire url as easily as it did with Windows. I have to double click a few times to get it.

I have a machine at work that I run the "Natty Narwhal" on.....just so I can play with it....

It has come a long way in the last few years, it used to be realy buggy and finicky with the hardware, but now everything seems to work fine right out of the "box"

I stick with Windows cause that is what the software I use day in and day out runs on, with the integration of the software into the network, security and other OS components, it helps that I am as familiar with the OS as possible.

I guess, being that I have an android phone I run it on my phone, but I don't see the strengths in using it on any of my desktops or laptops I own.

Really, the strongest reason for me to use any form of penguin OS is so I can wear the shirt that says "I am Root" without feeling like a poseur.

Archived