Are the buses really that bad?

I think Metro buses are fine (quality-wise). I rode the bus for a year while in College and still do occasionally. I also did a short experiment of being w/out a car... that lasted two months. When I did my experiment I was quickly reminded of Metro's problem... frequencies. With the exception of a few lines, there can easily be a 30-45 min gap between buses and waiting that amount of time is no fun. I live in the Montrose area and I've easily walked across the neighborhood in 45min, and with a bike fuggedaboutit!

But I guess that's a chicken/egg problem.. We don't have higher frequencies because we don't have the ridership to support it/or we don't have the ridership because no one wants to wait 45min.

Will this change with higher gas prices?? I've definitely become more conscious, but I was reading somewhere that Metro's ridership was actually down in March despite higher gas prices.

On a similar note, I saw a ton of bikes around Montrose today, way higher than normal...maybe things are changing.

I stopped riding Metro about 10 years ago when I realized I could get to my destinations faster on a bike. The buses on my route rarely ever followed the schedule. On multiple occasions, I can remember waiting over half an hour for a bus. Then, two buses would arrive at the stop, one right on the tail of the other. The first bus would be full of irritated passengers, and the second bus was usually always empty. I hope the system has improved since then, but my daily schedule usually doesn't have room for such inefficiency.

Will this change with higher gas prices?? I've definitely become more conscious, but I was reading somewhere that Metro's ridership was actually down in March despite higher gas prices.

I know it's just anecdotal but my bus is usually twice as full as it was 6 months ago.

I guess that's another concern about buses: how slow they are. I downloaded the PDF regarding the Cypress Park & Ride and found two things I wasn't entirely happy with.

The first thing was that in order to use a student discount, I would have to buy a Metro Q card, which I've heard is by and large and ripoff and probably even more so if you just intended to use a bus for a day. Secondly, the bus stops at the other HOV entrances along the way, which I certainly imagine would take up time.

And in the case of safety, it's not that I'm afraid of something actually happening, but waiting 45+ minutes for a transfer in an unfamiliar location somewhere in Houston for a transfer is not a pleasant thought.

I wish there was an easier way to travel inter-city. Amtrak quit running to College Station years ago and became exorbitantly expensive anyway, and Greyhound is very pricey as well.

The first thing was that in order to use a student discount, I would have to buy a Metro Q card, which I've heard is by and large and ripoff and probably even more so if you just intended to use a bus for a day.

I wouldn't say the card itself is a ripoff.. its not like you have to buy the card. The cancellation of some of the pre Qcard passes that were available, like the daily pass, that though probably did cost some people some money. The nightmare though is dealing the the Q card physical office or their online help reps. Gvt bureaucracy at its finest.

Student discount wouldn't help you in your situation.. buying the Q card isn't the issue. You can do that online and have them mail it to you. But you would also have to take your Q card to the downtown office along with class schedules to get the discount for your card. BUT, if you're only riding the bus a few times over the course of a short stay.. saving a few $ is not gonna be worth the hassle.

• Like 1

Student discount wouldn't help you in your situation.. buying the Q card isn't the issue. You can do that online and have them mail it to you. But you would also have to take your Q card to the downtown office along with class schedules to get the discount for your card. BUT, if you're only riding the bus a few times over the course of a short stay.. saving a few $ is not gonna be worth the hassle.

ohmy.gif You have to go downtown and show class schedules? Man, I thought it was just showing a student ID. That worked in the Houston Museum of Natural Science, at least, and I figured Metro worked the same way. Too bad. This alone makes buses substantially less appealing.

ohmy.gif You have to go downtown and show class schedules? Man, I thought it was just showing a student ID. That worked in the Houston Museum of Natural Science, at least, and I figured Metro worked the same way. Too bad. This alone makes buses substantially less appealing.

If you're only riding 2-4 times, the $3-5 lost shouldn't be a deal breaker for ya.

I personally find the increase in movie theater prices in the past 15 yrs to be exorbitant and disgusting and I'm not against pulling out an old student ID to save a few bucks and stick it to the man. Metro is on to this trick and will make you earn you discount.

STUDENTS

Must be able to Provide the Following:

• K-12 (mail in form available below, or visit the METRO RideStore)

• Name required on METRO Q® Fare Card
    • Current school ID, class schedule, enrollment form or report card (on school letterhead)
    • No photo on METRO Q® Fare Card
    • Must be registered

[*]
    College: (only issued at METRO RideStore)
    • Must show (a fee receipt with a current class schedule) credit hours to qualify
      or
      a letter from the college verifying (current) full time status.
    • Government Issued Photo ID - required
    • Must show credit hours to qualify or letter from college verifying full time status:
      • Undergraduate – 12+ hours
      • Graduate – 9+ hours

[*]
      Photo is required on METRO Q® Fare Card

Q card used to require a $50 minimum initial buy-in, but it's not like that anymore. Q card is pretty good, for what it is, except that my card with no expiration date printed on it is about to expire and I have to get a new one.

Several times, I've gotten email alerts telling me my card is soon to expire and to log in to renew it. You probably need to just do the same.. not have to deal with hassle of going down to their office.

Several times, I've gotten email alerts telling me my card is soon to expire and to log in to renew it. You probably need to just do the same.. not have to deal with hassle of going down to their office.

All of us who use credit cards know there's an expiration date on that card. That's because a chip in the card expires.

Your METRO Q® Fare Card also has a chip that expires in five years. Flip your METRO Q® Fare Card over to the back, and read the tiny serial number in the upper right-hand corner. If your card has a serial number of 0000000052 through 0000164100, your card will expire on May 31, 2011.

"We've been replacing cards periodically. This is the first large group of cards that is expiring," said Julie Fernandez, manager of revenue analysis. "The next group of cards won't expire until sometime in 2012."

You have two options:

• Use all the funds before the expiration date and get a new card. Click here for a list of retailers.
  • Come in to METRO at 1900 Main and exchange your card for a new one.

If you do come in, we know that lunch time is a busy time, so we've opened our express METRO Q® Fare Card Exchange Center on the second floor to help ease the crowd in the RideStore. We have a staff there exclusively dedicated to exchanging cards quickly to get you in and out.

Express exchange window hours are Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

You can also come into our RideStore and visit the Revenue Operations window, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

If you do have a full-fare card, just use up the value on your card, then get another from one of the dozens of retailers around town. "You don't have to come in and trade," explained Fernandez.

http://blogs.ridemetro.org/blogs/write_on/archive/2011/01/25/Is-Your-Q-Card-Expiring_3F00_-.aspx

I'm not sure I understand your loss of appeal. You are already driving by automobile to Cypress. There is no legitimate reason to then get out of your car to take METRO, other than to experience big city mass transit. If the extra $2.25 to ride the park & ride, or the extra 62 cents to ride the local is a deal breaker, I'd suggest that the urge to take mass transit is not that great. And, when you deduct gas expense to drive the extra 30 miles into town, you're talking pennies...or even a loss, if you drive a guzzler.

Dig through momma's couch and find a few quarters. You'll make it.

• Like 2

I wish there was an easier way to travel inter-city. Amtrak quit running to College Station years ago and became exorbitantly expensive anyway, and Greyhound is very pricey as well.

You do have one more option. College Station may no longer have an actual passenger station.. but they do have freight. When I lived there, several times I thought about how cool a trip it would be to hop a box car and ride that down highway 6 and into Houston. It's probably the romanticism of the idea but I still think that would be cool as hell.

Disclaimer: This idea is purely fantasy and should not be attempted. Highway6 and Haif will not be held responsible it you lose life or limb in attempting to travel by this mode of transportation. By reading this disclaimer, You waive all future rights to sue and accept full responsibility for your actions should you choose to partake in such a dangerous activity.

I'm not sure I understand your loss of appeal. You are already driving by automobile to Cypress. There is no legitimate reason to then get out of your car to take METRO, other than to experience big city mass transit. If the extra $2.25 to ride the park & ride, or the extra 62 cents to ride the local is a deal breaker, I'd suggest that the urge to take mass transit is not that great. And, when you deduct gas expense to drive the extra 30 miles into town, you're talking pennies...or even a loss, if you drive a guzzler.

possibly costs money to park too.

a lot of companies will help defer the cost of taking public transportation, cause they can get some good tax breaks from the government for green initiatives, public transportation for their employees is one of them.

if you company doesn't do it, talk to HR and ask them to look into it, they may make a program.

possibly costs money to park too.

a lot of companies will help defer the cost of taking public transportation, cause they can get some good tax breaks from the government for green initiatives, public transportation for their employees is one of them.

if you company doesn't do it, talk to HR and ask them to look into it, they may make a program.

Yep, my Q-Card is fully paid for by my employer. My transportation to and from work is completely free.

It wasn't so much to ride the mass transit of Houston, it was to avoid driving through the bulk of Northwest Freeway, which gets very congested around 610 and I-10. I believe I lack both the experience and aggression to drive on inner Houston highways. Hence, avoiding the issue and catching the nearest mass transit I can, in this case, the Cypress Park & Ride.

It wasn't so much to ride the mass transit of Houston, it was to avoid driving through the bulk of Northwest Freeway, which gets very congested around 610 and I-10. I believe I lack both the experience and aggression to drive on inner Houston highways. Hence, avoiding the issue and catching the nearest mass transit I can, in this case, the Cypress Park & Ride.

Then to paraphrase what Red said, "Suck it up, buttercup and pay the extra coinage."

You're making it more of an ordeal than it actually is.

• Like 1

Then to paraphrase what Red said, "Suck it up, buttercup and pay the extra coinage."

You're making it more of an ordeal than it actually is.

I was just explaining WHY I was going on the buses.

Well, okay, I had my questions answered, at least. Thanks for helping out.

• 2 weeks later...

I ride the 53 from downtown, where I live to Greenway Plaza, where I work on the days that I go to the gym in the morning (every Mon, Wed, Friday). The timing really depends on the driver and traffic I think. There is a bus there at 4:00pm on the dot every day, maybe a minute or two off but he is always there. Now if I catch the next one that is supposed to be there at 4:17 it is always after 4:30 when it gets there.

The only reason I take the bus is because it is so easy to just hop on it a block from the Y where I work out and not have to run back 5 blocks to my house to get my car.

As for safety, well you get to know the regulars on your bus route so I don’t really have a concern for my safety in that regard. Well and that I am 6’3, 190 pounds helps too I guess. I usually have my headphones on anyways so I don’t really pay attention to people. But one time I did have an incident with a man who I can only describe as crazy, but he wasn’t a regular rider so it didn’t bother me.

In one of my "urban social justice" classes in college, we were taught that people with a grudge against mass/public transit are often masking racism.

Because... you know... those people ride buses.

Those people...

Those black* people! (*Substitute "brown" as appropriate for your geographic region.)

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's just small minded people being small minded. If they lived in a city where public transit was more common, this wouldn't even come up for discussion. Just turn it around on them.

"Wait... you DRIVE a car? On HOUSTON freeways? With the construction, and the shootings, and the road rage, and the gas prices, and the pollution? How do you do that and feel safe? Don't you worry about your wife and kids?"

When I worked at KHOU I would do the same thing to people who couldn't believe I lived in the city (at the time I was the only person in the news department who lived anywhere near downtown).

"Wait... you live out in Lake Katy Land? Don't you worry about living in the suburbs? With the serial killers? And the unregulated guns? And the coyotes? And the inadequate police and fire protection? And the prairie fires? How do you sleep at night?"

• Like 1

In one of my "urban social justice" classes in college, we were taught that people with a grudge against mass/public transit are often masking racism.

Those people...

Those black* people! (*Substitute "brown" as appropriate for your geographic region.)

Interesting. Most people I've spoken to couch it in economic terms...as in "only the poor ride buses". Could be there's an unspoken racial component, though those I know who are most against using public transport are non-white suburban dwellers. I know there's still a strong racial component to these things but I think economic/social class plays a larger roll than a lot of people recognize.

Why can't Metro simply team up with local colleges/universities to offer a solution to this. I don't really know what an appropriate solution might be - maybe an enrollment sticker for the student ID indicating current enrollment in a semester? - but it seems to me that this would be an easy thing to fix. Then, just show your ID with the appropriate indicator to the driver and you're good to go!

Interesting. Most people I've spoken to couch it in economic terms...as in "only the poor ride buses". Could be there's an unspoken racial component, though those I know who are most against using public transport are non-white suburban dwellers. I know there's still a strong racial component to these things but I think economic/social class plays a larger roll than a lot of people recognize.

Well, my transmission took a dump last week, and instead of taking my rental to take it to the garage, get my keys and have the rental company pick up the car, I turned my car in and had them drop me off at the metro stop over at Gulfgate mall.

For some reason, this confused him, because I could have easily turned it in at another location in town.

Whatever.

Looking at the google maps, I used the "transit" option and it gave me what route (36) and what time the bus was supposed to hit my location. Within 5 minutes, I jumped on the bus (#3273), paid my 1.25 and joined the 8 other passengers.

The way I figured it, 4 boarded for every 1 that left as we hit downtown. Going through downtown, the type of people getting on and off changed noticeably. They were people READY to go home, and more than a couple of professionals hopped on.

I also noticed a bit of an unwritten etiquette:

There were people that had a dollar in their hand, but didn't put it in the machine and simply went back to sit down. Turns out, when they had a chance to get themselves settled in their seats, they'd come back up and use their "Q Card" to pay for the fare. There seemed about 8 of them doing this.

Apparently, it was the first time for one guy and had to get some sort of instruction on the route by the driver.

Two guys had literally met at the bus stop and started talking shop. They stated their buildings and duties. By the time I had gotten off, they were talking about grabbing their wives and going to watering hole that was near their homes later on in the week.

Saw one gentleman hook up his bike and jump in. Apparently, he knew this driver and was talking to him for a few minutes, he got off at Studemont @ Washington and headed towards the Heights.

Getting off at Shepherd, I pick up my car and I'm happy again. Particularly since the repair cost me nothing.

Boarded the bus at 3:38pm and got off at about 4:45pm.

not bad, really.

The bus driver didn't do anything crazy, except to avoid some ****** escalade that wanted to make a right from the left hand lane as SHE was turning, but she didn't flinch at the moron. She didn't speed, but did quite a bit of strategic driving, acting as a block to allow other buses to merge into the next lane.

You'd swear they were coordinated by how smoothly it all went.

The people for the most part were people on the way towards town heading to an evening shift, with a few couples sprinkled in. I figure about 70-80 people were serviced by that one bus, on a route that has one bus about every 10-15 minutes. Fairly effective, I think.

Was I accosted? Nope.

Did the bus smell funny or was dirty? Nah.

Was it filled with gang members sizing me up for a mugging? None.

Would I use it as my main form of transportation? Maybe.

To dedicate yourself to use any form of public transportation as your primary form of transportation requires a good amount of planning and lead time in your schedule.

If I lived closer to town, yes. As it currently stands, no.

Of course, there are plenty of other people that don't have that option.

Why can't Metro simply team up with local colleges/universities to offer a solution to this. I don't really know what an appropriate solution might be - maybe an enrollment sticker for the student ID indicating current enrollment in a semester? - but it seems to me that this would be an easy thing to fix. Then, just show your ID with the appropriate indicator to the driver and you're good to go!

Because there are D-bags out there that just want to scam metro out of a few bucks.

If you're a student and you're going to use it EVERY DAY, then it would be worth your time and money to get the Q-Card and have it programmed appropriately.

I'm sure there is technology that the driver can use to override it and adjust the fare, but again, people would then game the system.

Just man up and pay the $1.25 There are people worse off than you are that go through the proper hoops to pay the appropriate amount.

Edited by ricco67

Those people...

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's just small minded people being small minded. If they lived in a city where public transit was more common, this wouldn't even come up for discussion. Just turn it around on them.

"Wait... you DRIVE a car? On HOUSTON freeways? With the construction, and the shootings, and the road rage, and the gas prices, and the pollution? How do you do that and feel safe? Don't you worry about your wife and kids?"

When I worked at KHOU I would do the same thing to people who couldn't believe I lived in the city (at the time I was the only person in the news department who lived anywhere near downtown).

"Wait... you live out in Lake Katy Land? Don't you worry about living in the suburbs? With the serial killers? And the unregulated guns? And the coyotes? And the inadequate police and fire protection? And the prairie fires? How do you sleep at night?"

I really can't stand that kind of crap. People need to stop accusing other people of being racist for things that have nothing to fo with race. It's like being racist against people who think differently than you do.

• Like 4

I really can't stand that kind of crap. People need to stop accusing other people of being racist for things that have nothing to fo with race. It's like being racist against people who think differently than you do.

I've experienced it first-hand, so perhaps you don't think "often" is a good descriptor, but it does happen, and isn't exactly rare.

CTA (Chicago) has two student passes:

A Student Pass which is for elementary and high school students. It costs $5 per session (Winter/Fall/Spring, or Summer). Has to be ordered by mail. Gives the kids unlimited riding of all buses and trains from 5:30am to 8:00pm.

A U-Pass, which is a partnership between CTA and 40 colleges. U-Passes are issued by the colleges, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're also a combo student ID. I don't know what the cost is (though a replacement is $50), but it gives the students unlimited rides on all buses and trains.

I think the Student Pass is important, both culturally, and for the future of mass transit. Elementary school kids who have the skills to ride a bus or train become teen-agers who aren't afraid of the city or its buses or trains, who become adults who don't fear the mass transit boogeyman.

• Like 1

Race was kind of the recurring theme of the class. Not surprising: A state college a stone's throw of New York City. Half of the semester was about "environmental racism." Don't get me started.

The good thing, though, is that we had Maya Angelou visit our class (only about 20 students) and read her poetry, long before she became a big name and was "discovered" by the racism industry. I'm a corporate white male who was "old school Angelou" before Oprah even heard of her.