Urban Living Laboratory

lockmat

This is what a tier 1 universtiy gets the funds to do, and wow this is gonna be sweet:

I can't copy and paste any info from their website, so just watch this video to see what's up: http://urbanlivinglaboratory.com/flash/video.wmv

...just found out sucky info, it's gonna be in DALLAS. Side topic...what does this say about Houston? It seems Dallas has a ton of urban projects compared to Houston. Do we not have enough yuppies or what?

Just what Dallas needs, more vacant real estate.

But to answer one of your questions, yes Dallas has more yuppies. It shows up in all the occupational data. Their economy is more driven by finance and high tech industries and is also a mecca for corporate headquarters of retail-driven business models and business-to-consumer marketing strategies. Ours is more influenced by engineering, heavy manufacturing, and corporate offices of firms that are oriented to business-to-business marketing strategies. It follows intuitively that Dallas is more about image and ego. Houston is about the bottom line.

Also, Dallas has more white people.

Wow. Some people are so easily impressed. Yawn.

Thanks for the slap in the face. Maybe next time I'll give you my address so you can do it in person.

The reason why I'm so impressed is not because the development itself. The reason is because it's for research purposes. Too bad it sounds like they'll be sharing the data only with their clients.

Thanks for the slap in the face. Maybe next time I'll give you my address so you can do it in person.

The reason why I'm so impressed is not because the development itself. The reason is because it's for research purposes. Too bad it sounds like they'll be sharing the data only with their clients.

Looks like a genius developer who played the green card to get Texas A&M to help him fund a fairly mundane suburban mixed-used development. A very suburban-looking project indeed. And it's 14 miles north of downtown Dallas. I think the initial response of [YAWN] was the best.

Looks like a genius developer who played the green card to get Texas A&M to help him fund a fairly mundane suburban mixed-used development. A very suburban-looking project indeed. And it's 14 miles north of downtown Dallas. I think the initial response of [YAWN] was the best.

I was about to go that direction and point out that 1.1 million square feet of any permutation of land uses, standing alone (as it will, in hyper-zoned Dallas), is not very sustainable. Then...I realized that that is fairly typical of these kinds of projects, that Dallas is this kind of project's natural habitat, and that A&M likes to study realistic, practical, and achievable phenomenon, which this is. For academic purposes, this is perfect. It'll probably reveal some fairly predictable things about 'green' technologies and disappoint the tens of thousands of architects that sell sociological wet dreams to the public in the form of New Urbanism. That's useful, so I say 'Go for it!'

This is a large tract of land that is no longer on the periphery - nice to see it used for something other than just another subdivision, strip mall, or apartment complex.

Not sure what kind of results to expect from the research - hopefully whatever is developed will be capable of standing on its own if the research ends.

Also, the site is right next to UT Dallas and would fill a void of any 'urban' center near that campus.

I'm sorry Lockmat. I mean no disrespect. It was meant more as a slap in the face of the city of Dallas, which I despise, not you. I almost always agree with your comments so I don't mean to offend you. I take back my 'easily impressed' remark. But, I'm still not all that wowed by this project.

I'm sorry Lockmat. I mean no disrespect. It was meant more as a slap in the face of the city of Dallas, which I despise, not you. I almost always agree with your comments so I don't mean to offend you. I take back my 'easily impressed' remark. But, I'm still not all that wowed by this project.

Forgiven. Sorry for the over reaction. We're cool.

And maybe I did think too highly of this at first. I initially saw it on the Bisnow newsletter as an ad and the picture was of the really cool looking condo midrise. And I still think the fact that it's for research is still a pretty good idea. Maybe it doesn't make it 'wow' but still a cool concept in my opinion.

I'm guessing this place will be pretty expensive to live in, too with all the green implementation.

Just to compare, this "urban" development is proposed to have 1.1 million square feet of office, retail, residential, and hotel, on 75 acres of land, 14 miles from downtown Dallas.

City Centre has 1.8 million square feet of office, retail, residential, and hotel (with more to come) on 37 acres of land 14 miles from downtown Houston.

I was about to go that direction and point out that 1.1 million square feet of any permutation of land uses, standing alone (as it will, in hyper-zoned Dallas), is not very sustainable. Then...I realized that that is fairly typical of these kinds of projects, that Dallas is this kind of project's natural habitat, and that A&M likes to study realistic, practical, and achievable phenomenon, which this is. For academic purposes, this is perfect. It'll probably reveal some fairly predictable things about 'green' technologies and disappoint the tens of thousands of architects that sell sociological wet dreams to the public in the form of New Urbanism. That's useful, so I say 'Go for it!'

Are you suggesting that some of the technology that might exist in this development won't generate a positive consumer response? OK, but this isn't a Segway proving ground, or a jet-pack test site. It will, I hope, prove that many 'green' technologies are viable and sustainable, not in 2080, but today. New Urbanism isn't a wet dream, either, and I support any effort to pry Americans away from their sedentary, car-centric lifestyle, however pie-n-the-sky, Dubai-like such efforts may seem. Have you seen the plans for Masdar, in the UAE? Makes this development look like a strip mall.

Also, any city looks "hyper-zoned" compared to Houston. I'll bet Dallas zoning is decidedly laissez-faire compared to coastal cities.

Are you suggesting that some of the technology that might exist in this development won't generate a positive consumer response? OK, but this isn't a Segway proving ground, or a jet-pack test site. It will, I hope, prove that many 'green' technologies are viable and sustainable, not in 2080, but today.

I didn't suggest anything of the sort. We are in agreement on this issue.

New Urbanism isn't a wet dream, either, and I support any effort to pry Americans away from their sedentary, car-centric lifestyle, however pie-n-the-sky, Dubai-like such efforts may seem. Have you seen the plans for Masdar, in the UAE? Makes this development look like a strip mall.

It's nice (I suppose) that you support that, however I submit to you that this development looks like a strip mall compared to Masdar in the UAE. Do you disagree?

Also, any city looks "hyper-zoned" compared to Houston. I'll bet Dallas zoning is decidedly laissez-faire compared to coastal cities.

In recent times, yes. Dallas is more open to deviation from zoning norms than it has ever been provided that the bribes are of sufficient value. No, seriously. I use Dallas' incarcerated city councilman as an example of the futility and unintended consequences of zoning every time someone advocates it for Houston. And that's only the guy that was dumb enough to double-cross the developer that bribed him in the first place. Don't think that it hasn't happened with other city councilmembers.

However...Dallas being such a relatively small city compared to Houston, it has to content with legacy issues. And it's legacy is that for a long time, it was very strictly zoned.

It's nice (I suppose) that you support that, however I submit to you that this development looks like a strip mall compared to Masdar in the UAE. Do you disagree?

No, I just suggested that. I would be dreaming if I thought Dallas development could compare to anything in the Emirates.

In recent times, yes. Dallas is more open to deviation from zoning norms than it has ever been provided that the bribes are of sufficient value. No, seriously. I use Dallas' incarcerated city councilman as an example of the futility and unintended consequences of zoning every time someone advocates it for Houston. And that's only the guy that was dumb enough to double-cross the developer that bribed him in the first place. Don't think that it hasn't happened with other city councilmembers.

Ha, you're talking about the illustrious Don Hill. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night. I don't presume our city council is comprised of saints. But to my understanding, the developers needed political support for their projects because they were affordable housing, not because of zoning.

However...Dallas being such a relatively small city compared to Houston, it has to content with legacy issues. And it's legacy is that for a long time, it was very strictly zoned.

Hmmm. I don't get how smaller cities have to contend(?) with legacy issues more than larger ones. Please explain.

Ha, you're talking about the illustrious Don Hill. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night. I don't presume our city council is comprised of saints. But to my understanding, the developers needed political support for their projects because they were affordable housing, not because of zoning.

The developer needed a zoning change so that affordable housing would be allowable on the site.

Hmmm. I don't get how smaller cities have to contend(?) with legacy issues more than larger ones. Please explain.

Yeah, not my best quip. I don't remember saying it like that. I'm going to withdraw the comment on city size. The legacy issues are obvious enough to stand on their own.

The developer needed a zoning change so that affordable housing would be allowable on the site.

I see. I digress from this thread topic, but I would like to know more about why Houston has no zoning laws, and if developers have carte blanche to build say, a 40 story office tower near a residential neighborhood (e.g. Ashby high rise). What about traffic concerns? Crime potential? Storm water runoff? How does Houston navigate the minutiae of development, and end up on its feet (which it has, time and time again)? I haven't taken the time yet to peruse this board for a 'history of Houston development' thread, or the like. Maybe one of you fine people could point the way?

Yeah, not my best quip. I don't remember saying it like that. I'm going to withdraw the comment on city size. The legacy issues are obvious enough to stand on their own.

You need not remind a Dallasite of the implications of legacy (11/22/1963)

Archived