Russia and Qatar to host 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups, respectively

lockmat

I think the Sports Guy, Bill Simmons said it best, "Any time you can hold a World Cup in a hot Middle East country that's smaller than Connecticut + has no soccer tradition, you have to do it." (via twitter)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCUQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fifa.com%2Fworldcup%2Fbidders%2F2018%2Fmedia%2Fnewsid%3D1344971.html&ei=z933TJ-_GYG8lQfQ7OCPAg&usg=AFQjCNHWq25-90VOemQZulIVpCPzHSPTuA&sig2=fKVyoojmSkw8J-gdbsdTIw

This country doesn't need the "kick ball" championship anyway. I for one couldn't give a rats petute. Let's stick to advanced/superior games like football.

I disagree. Soccer has grown on me over the years. A lot of those athletes do some amazing things. If you give it a chancer you'll see those plays and be in awe. The WC in the USA would be sweet.

This country doesn't need the "kick ball" championship anyway. I for one couldn't give a rats petute. Let's stick to advanced/superior games like football.

I just don't understand the hate that so many Americans have for soccer/football. It's such a great sport, and it's not like we have to give up another sport to enjoy it or something. I guess it's probably due to the low scoring which people think is boring maybe, but it's a hell of a lot more exciting than baseball (and I like baseball). Or maybe they think that we can't have two sports called "football" and it is threatening to steal American football's name? Who knows. I wasn't really into soccer until I visited my friend in England and started following the EPL and then we got the Dynamo and I started following the MLS a few years later, but now I absolutely love the sport. It's true that the quality of the game is far inferior in the US compared to other countries, but I think as the sport grows here we will become more and more competitive. I just think people who feel the way you do ought to give it a chance, watch a Manchester United-Chelsea match, a Barcelona-Real Madrid match, a Champions League final, or a World Cup match and see if you still hate it.

Technically it's association football. Since that's a bit of a mouthful, the term soccer is used around the world to distinguish it from indigenous sports - Gaelic football, rugby football, Aussie rules, etc.

Anyway, sports is a very subjective issue. If a person don't grow up playing a sport day in day out rain or shine it's unrealistic to expect them to take to it. It's neither good nor bad, it just is. But to go around badmouthing any sport, particularly when those contributions are unsolicited, says more about the badmouther than the sport.

I'd love to see the WC back here (and not just because Ireland beat the holders in the first game in 1994!). It was well run and the games were well attended and supported. It wasn't a classic tournament but that's hardly the fault of the hosts.

that "kick ball" championship made the US $623 Million in 1994, and 2022 would surpass that by a long shot.

its a popular sport for a reason, either check it out or just ignore it.

i love american football, my favorite sport. but going to soccer matches is a lot of fun. its as tense as baseball (every shot like every swing) but a lot more action and athleticism. and watching your country play is beyond passion. the only thing like it here going to a big college football game.

being in south africa was the most amazing experience. and i hope to be in Brasil possibly for the Confederations cup if we make it or maybe the World Cup. i have no desire to go to Qatar though.

Maybe its sour grapes but I really am still surprised at the O-fer that the US has landed for the last two international bidding competitions. Struck out with the 2016 Olympics even though the bid was technically superior. Pulled out of the 2018 race because supposedly the chances were better for 2022 and still lost the 2022 to Qatar. I have nothing against Qatar (after all there are Aggies there at A&M's campus in Doha) but...it was just surprising.

It makes me wonder if there's a bit of a point that these international bodies are making towards the US. If that is even remotely the case, I think that a decline of American corporate and media support for the next few international events could be a not-so-insignificant reminder that the US is still a valuable part of the sports world.

Furthermore, I can understand wanting to "share" these events with other places around the world (India, Australia, Africa, South America, etc), but then that argument loses a bit of its steam to me since the US doesn't apply for every single bid. For example, there will likely be no bid for the 2020 Olympics, and I think that the US shouldn't bid on any other international competitions for a long while.

The world is continuing to "catch up" as is said, but the US is still an important nation. Choosing not to participate and fawn over these unelected sports bodies might reinforce that message.

On another note, since England and Australia also lost, can we expect an expose on the process from WikiLeaks? Or maybe not, since the US lost too.

that "kick ball" championship made the US $623 Million in 1994, and 2022 would surpass that by a long shot.

its a popular sport for a reason, either check it out or just ignore it.

i love american football, my favorite sport. but going to soccer matches is a lot of fun. its as tense as baseball (every shot like every swing) but a lot more action and athleticism. and watching your country play is beyond passion. the only thing like it here going to a big college football game.

being in south africa was the most amazing experience. and i hope to be in Brasil possibly for the Confederations cup if we make it or maybe the World Cup. i have no desire to go to Qatar though.

Couldn't said it better myself.

As another person said, you make yourself look worse when you provide unsolicted, ignorant remarks. This is not the Chronicle comments section after all.

Don't get me going on FIFA or EUFA - I love the game of soccer but I hate the way it's administered internationally.

Don't get me going on their refusal to use video replays, even when there is blatant cheating or bad calls.

Supposedly part of rationale for the decision was punishment to the UK press for not being sufficiently subservient to FIFA, but overall I think they are stretching things by bringing it to Russia. Getting even a short-term tourist visa for Russia is a major pain and expensive to boot. I can't believe they are willing to countenance putting thousands through that.

Don't get me going on their refusal to use video replays, even when there is blatant cheating or bad calls.

Baltter's objection is on the basis of video replaye interrupting the flow of the game, but there's quite enough of that going on currently given the histrionics of players apparently struggling to cling to life after the gentlest tackle. If anything it would improve the flow of the game since these would-be Oscar nominees would know they would be carded if they continue to do this.

A fourth official following the game 10 seconds behind normal play with access to multiple angles and high definition video could have a firm decision to the referee on any incidentnwithin seconds of it occurring. Given the eye-watering amounts of money that disappear into FIFA's maw annually (nominally for, ahem, development of the game) they could find the money to fund this under one of their couch cushions.

Baltter's objection is on the basis of video replaye interrupting the flow of the game, but there's quite enough of that going on currently given the histrionics of players apparently struggling to cling to life after the gentlest tackle. If anything it would improve the flow of the game since these would-be Oscar nominees would know they would be carded if they continue to do this.

A fourth official following the game 10 seconds behind normal play with access to multiple angles and high definition video could have a firm decision to the referee on any incidentnwithin seconds of it occurring. Given the eye-watering amounts of money that disappear into FIFA's maw annually (nominally for, ahem, development of the game) they could find the money to fund this under one of their couch cushions.

One might ask Monsieur Henry what he thinks of the idea... <_<

I was reading that summer temperatures in Qatar reach up to 45C. I understand that FIFA is trying to be geographically diverse, but holding the World Cup in that kind of climate is madness.

Presumably covered stadia will be available for the day games. Evening games should only be in the 90s :blink:

I was reading that summer temperatures in Qatar reach up to 45C. I understand that FIFA is trying to be geographically diverse, but holding the World Cup in that kind of climate is madness.

45C is just the beginning. The law in Qatar is that outdoor work stops if the temperature reaches 50C. I'v eseen it 52 or 53. However, when it is that hot, the humidity is usually very low, and there ar efew problems with heat illness. On a really bad day in Qatar, the temperature is more like 40-42C and the humidity is 70% or higher. Those are the days where no one feels like doing anything. Having said that, if any place on Earth can build stadiums with conditioned air, it's Qatar. They have the money to do just about whatever they want.

45C is just the beginning. The law in Qatar is that outdoor work stops if the temperature reaches 50C. I'v eseen it 52 or 53. However, when it is that hot, the humidity is usually very low, and there ar efew problems with heat illness. On a really bad day in Qatar, the temperature is more like 40-42C and the humidity is 70% or higher. Those are the days where no one feels like doing anything. Having said that, if any place on Earth can build stadiums with conditioned air, it's Qatar. They have the money to do just about whatever they want.

They are saying they are going to use no-emissions cooling and that the stadiums will be cooled to 23. Which is fine, but this is a huge event, and for thousands of visitors every minute won't be spent at the matches. You can picture tourists dropping like flies from heat stroke. Good grief, I can't even imagine what 53 would feel like.

When it's windy, 53 feels like you are standing in front of a hair dryer. A big one. The moisture is just flat sucked out of your skin. If the visitors wear long sleeves, stay hydrated, and skip the beer (fat chance), they will be OK. June and July are almost tolerable in Doha. August is just awful, due to humidity.

I just don't understand the hate that so many Americans have for soccer/football. It's such a great sport, and it's not like we have to give up another sport to enjoy it or something. I guess it's probably due to the low scoring which people think is boring maybe, but it's a hell of a lot more exciting than baseball (and I like baseball). Or maybe they think that we can't have two sports called "football" and it is threatening to steal American football's name? Who knows. I wasn't really into soccer until I visited my friend in England and started following the EPL and then we got the Dynamo and I started following the MLS a few years later, but now I absolutely love the sport. It's true that the quality of the game is far inferior in the US compared to other countries, but I think as the sport grows here we will become more and more competitive. I just think people who feel the way you do ought to give it a chance, watch a Manchester United-Chelsea match, a Barcelona-Real Madrid match, a Champions League final, or a World Cup match and see if you still hate it.

Don't confuse hate for apathy. I think the message was sent loud and clear to pick Qatar over the U.S.

Archived