Houston 2010?...2016?....

DJ V Lawrence

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3214152

Now, as we all can see from this link, it seems (surprisingly <_< ) that the stadium in Manhattan, due to many snags in their proposals, may NOT have a stadium set in place in time for the Olympic Commitee's July decision for Olympics 2012.

This means TWO things:

One: Olympics 2016 (even though New York is the #1 contender) would be back up for grabs for ANY U.S. city to attempt to host, depending on how smart the U.S. Olympic Commitee is this time around.

Two: No Olympics; no $2 Billion dollar stadium in 2009. No Stadium 2009; no Super Bowl 2010. Does this, I don't know, POSSIBLY mean that Houston once again has a shot at hosting the Super Bowl in 2010, especially since by that time, it would have been 6 years since hosting the last one?

Oh, and PLEASE let this be a lesson to EVERY OWNER in the NFL that voted that New York should have hosted the Super Bowl in 2010. TWO YEARS after a stadium is built, that city can host a Super Bowl. That's why the NFL let us host in 2004 and not 2003. :angry: STOP BENDING THE RULES FOR CITIES YOU LIVE IN AND LET NEW YORK ABIDE BY THE SAME RULES THAT YOU MADE THE GREAT CITY OF HOUSTON FOLLOW :angry: . If we hosted in 2003 instead of 2004, according to the 2009 Super Bowl votes, we would have had a better shot at 2009's Super Bowl?

(sniff, sniff) I smell, (sniff) fish :blink: ! Does anyone here think the U.S. Olympic Commitee OR the NFL will be smarter next time when it comes to deciding host cities for big events? Do you think the World Olympic commitee will be dumb enough to AWARD New York with an Olympics in 2012 anyway, the way the U.S. Olympic Commitee did? Speak your mind....

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I agree with your points but the reality is that the Olympics is as much about politics as anything else. Unless the COH and the Houston Olympic Committee went over the top in guaranteeing a certain amount of revenue to the IOC (or even the USOC), there likley to always do no better than the final cuts.

In the real world, non-political groups don't make decisions about where they're going to locate based on 50/50 promises when they have solid guarantees somewhere else. The Olympics isn't about making sound, fiscal decisions. It's about politics.

So my pessimistic answer is, "no."

Well, I agree with your points but the reality is that the Olympics is as much about politics as anything else. Unless the COH and the Houston Olympic Committee went over the top in guaranteeing a certain amount of revenue to the IOC (or even the USOC), there likley to always do no better than the final cuts.

In the real world, non-political groups don't make decisions about where they're going to locate based on 50/50 promises when they have solid guarantees somewhere else. The Olympics isn't about making sound, fiscal decisions. It's about politics.

So my pessimistic answer is, "no."

Remember this...Due to the facilities we already have, and the fact that we are only behind New York in quantity of Fortune 500 companies in the United States, AND due to the fact that by the year 2016, Houston would have only between now and then a public transporation light rail system and Buffalo Bayou revitalization to complete, that Houston by far offers the best chance of ANY city in the world before 2020 of creating the highest profit of any city in the world.

We don't have to look for $2 billion dollars for a state-of-the-art stadium. We already have it. We could develop the Dome with the Olympics, too. As for right now, Houston Texas has the overall BEST facilities to offer for Olympic events. That's a good political statement in itself.

Super Bowl? Remember 2004.

Houston will not be a runner-up for another Super Bowl until between 2014-2016. Since New York not building a stadium sad to say, that's better for Dallas. Dallas Super Bowl is plan in 2011, but now with the New York issue this may bump up Dallas Super Bowl to 2010.

They're not going to have back to back Super Bowls in Texas, just not going to happen.

So, Houston is still in limbo for right now for another Super Bowl.

Houston will not be a runner-up for another Super Bowl until between 2014-2016. Since New York not building a stadium sad to say, that's better for Dallas. Dallas Super Bowl is plan in 2011, but now with the New York issue this may bump up Dallas Super Bowl to 2010.

They're not going to have back to back Super Bowls in Texas, just not going to happen.

So, Houston is still in limbo for right now for another Super Bowl.

If we a VERY lucky, and Dallas hosts the bowl 2012 or after, our best chance would be 2010 in my opinion

Yup, looks like the Super Bowl is back up for grabs.

I doubt this will have a measureable efect on Olympic chances, though. Why would the IOC want to come to NY, with its obvious animosity toward big inrastructure spending, when they have such great cities as Paris and London united in their support?

• 4 weeks later...

So London was chosen by the IOC to host the 2012 Olympics. New York now automatically gets the US bid for the 2016 games, which is a big mistake considering the lack of support for their 2012 bid. I think the bid process should be opened up again and other cities that are more willing to invest in infrastructure (or already have) should be allowed to submit bids. I still don't think Houston has a shot in hell, but it might spawn a new round of city improvements and help put light rail/BRT/Commuter rail on the fast track.

You have to laugh at the USOC if they're rubber stamping NYC for the US' 2016 bid, considering how poorly NYC's budget and facilities planning faired compared to SF, DC and Houston. But of course sense the USOC pretty much admitted that they made their decision based on popularity, I'd be just as happy (if not more) if Houston didn't bother spending millions "competing" for this farce.

You always have a shot. However, I heard a rumor that the small market owners were a little PO'd at McNair for trying take more money along with other big market teams. They retaliated by giving Tampa the SB. They could do it again.

After reading about how the NFL Committee so swiftly eliminated Houston, I'm not sure. Maybe they were sincere in that they thought it was too soon after hosting in 2004 but I tend to frown at that. The NFL has historically awarded games to certain sites within four years of hosting it. At the same time, Atlanta is the only site that hasn't hosted the games in a while that has at least reasonable climate or a newer indoor facility. I don't think Dallas' new stadium will see one after just one year of operation (2009 season/2010 SB) and Phoenix will have hosted one just two years earlier (2008), so unless the NFL just shrugs it off and decides to go with a SD or NO even without a new facility, Houston has at least a logistical shot.

But I have a feeling that Atlanta will see one before we will.

I know it's fun to talk about, but, if we are real with ourselves, then we should realize that Houston NOR Dallas will host the Olympics anytime before 2030. So let it go. . .and there are plenty of articles out there that state that the Cowboys' new stadium is basically a lock for the 2011 Superbowl. Hell, even Paul Tagliabu said it when he was in town for the election results approving public funding for the stadium.

So London was chosen by the IOC to host the 2012 Olympics. New York now automatically gets the US bid for the 2016 games, which is a big mistake considering the lack of support for their 2012 bid. I think the bid process should be opened up again and other cities that are more willing to invest in infrastructure (or already have) should be allowed to submit bids. I still don't think Houston has a shot in hell, but it might spawn a new round of city improvements and help put light rail/BRT/Commuter rail on the fast track.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3255876

It's official: Not only is Houston officially in the running (with a legitimate shot) of hosting Super Bowl 2010, but Houston is OFFICIALLY now in the running for the Olympics in 2016!!!!!

New York may not have this chance again for a while due to finance, but apparently Houston and San Fransisco are TIED as front-runners as the U.S. representative for 2016's Olympics.

Houston ALREADY has state-of-the-art infrastructure. What we will need to surpass San Fran easily and hands-down win the bid is some of the following:

1. Show and PROVE we can make an Olympic impact on the Southeast U.S. AND Central America

2. Improve our air by 2008

3. Speed up the Buffalo Bayou Development project by 10 years (which CAN be done with a funding increase.)

4. Speed up the Mass Transit Light Rail development project (once again with funding)

5. Improve our nightlife and have Richmond Strip AND Main Street become world-class Clubbing areas by 2009

6. Push Six-Flags to invest more on Astroworld in EVERYTHING

7. REVAMP the Dome into the world-class track & field/ soccer stadium they planned to do for the 2012 Olympics.

ALL the original plans for 2012 were great, but 2016? By then we could have THE city to live in! We have the space to host over 90% of the Olympic events within city limits!!

Oh, and 2010 Super Bowl? If our Super Bowl commitee acts early, we can offer a package the NFL couldn't refuse!!!

Is there anything ELSE you think the city would need to be the ABSOLUTE front-runner for the Olympics 2016?

Personally, I'd rather see San Fran get the Olympics than Houston. Besides, how could Houston realistically compete against the like of Paris and Rio. But I would love it if we got the 2010 Super Bowl, but I have no idea what is going on with that.

This is good news. I am happy about the superbowl. But I am wary of the olympics. Does anyone think we would be able to make enough money to make up for what we spend on it. The one good thing though is that we already have the big ticket venues and have mass transit on the way (which we need olympics or not).

It would be foolish if the USOC went with NY again. When do they decide for 2016, 2009? I think both Houston and San Fran could host a good olympics, but I am rooting for Houston. But once again my only worry is economics.

Who else is in the running for 2010 SB? I think Dallas is right?

Also if the olympics did come to Houston how many of you would buy tickets to go to a few events. I probably would considering I have never been to an Olympic game in my life.

The economic factors are secondary in my mind to the prestige associated with hosting the Olympic games. Even if the money brought in during the games were only enough to cover the costs of building out the necessary infrastructure, we would still be left with brand new facilities that would be made available to the public.

In my mind, Houston is still a front runner, but I have to wonder if we'll ever overcome our image problems to the extent where people will take us seriously. If not, than SF seems to be a shoe-in.

Well we could definitely use the prestige and publicity. But one advantage we already have is that we have already built three new stadiums. And regarding transportation infrastructure most of the things we build probably would have been needed anyway. I think we have a shot at the US bid but who thinks that we can beat out other international cities.

I think Paris is a major candidate for 2016. Some people might say would it be in Europe two times in a row. Well I guess you never know, for summer from 1906 to 1928 it was all in Europe then LA and back to Europe 1936 to 1952. Granted war interrupted both of these time periods. But since then it has never been on a continent twice in a row (for summer). But you never know what might happen.

The IOC does like to spread it around. Paris is not likely for 2016, but should look good in 2020. The US will have problems getting the nod until the rest of the world is not so upset with us. Regardless of your views on Iraq, many IOC voters are willing to punish us for it. The US also got a black eye for Atlanta's crass commercialization of the Games.

Hopefully, in 4 years, some of these issues are behind us. Hopefully, as well, security issues are not as big as they are now. They are massive expenses, and frankly, are the difference between affording the Games and going bankrupt.

The IOC does like to spread it around.  Paris is not likely for 2016, but should look good in 2020.  The US will have problems getting the nod until the rest of the world is not so upset with us.  Regardless of your views on Iraq, many IOC voters are willing to punish us for it.  The US also got a black eye for Atlanta's crass commercialization of the Games.

Hopefully, in 4 years, some of these issues are behind us.  Hopefully, as well, security issues are not as big as they are now.  They are massive expenses, and frankly, are the difference between affording the Games and going bankrupt.

I think that our reputation with the world could get better in four years. Granted it could also get worse. But alot can change in four years. Hopefully we will be out of Iraq by then and the terror threat may have been reduced. Hopefully even more by 2016 when the games come around. I think if the city (as in residents and politicians) get behind the proposal I think it is possible. Besides the stadium I hear that was one of the problems with the NY proposal, not having the general population backing it.

Dallas will get the 2011 Superbowl.  That makes chances very slim that Houston will get it in 2010.  I don't think that the NFL will select two Texas Superbowls back to back.

Maybe so,but they better hope the weather cooperates during that time of year. The perfect example is Atlanta. Winter storm,no superbowl for you.

Archived