Lovett Place Condominiums

dbigtex56

Didn't hear the details, and (as of now) no info on KHOU's website. Seems there's breaking news ...

These are close to my house and located in Avondale Area-one of the neighborhood gatherings was held on the rooftop terrace-they are lovely

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2010/11/11/19-montrose-condos-set-for-auction.html?ed=2010-11-11&s=article_du&ana=e_du_pub

KLOL was a hugely popular rock station. The building was supposedly haunted, described as a modern structure. Talks about it originally being a Jesse Jones mansion site.

Can anyone confirm that?

http://www.lonestars...org/media2.html

I just looked at GoogleEarth, what is the bldg on the corner? 70's modern, with an antennae, the former station? I'm not really familiar with Lovett. I remember the houses on Westheimer, more, from when I was a kid. The design of the new condo's is not bad, at all, but looks out of place, on that blvd. Guess anything goes, probably others thought the same about the station, when it was built.

Edited by NenaE

510 Lovett was the mailing address for both KTRH and KLOL-FM; my understanding was that the KLOL operation was actually across the street in one of the old mansions but I never visited there. Sorry if this decreases the coolness factor. I never heard anything about 510 being haunted or Jesse Jones having lived there? Maybe that referred to the mansion?

The building on the corner of Lovett and Whitney (500 Lovett) was the longtime home of KILT (and KILT-FM). Built in 1957 by Gordon McLendon when he bought KLBS and flipped it to KILT and moved it from the original studios in the Milby Hotel. The building also housed the offices of Air Call, a pager company that was owned by LIN Broadcasting, which bought KILT from McLendon in 1967. I think the antenna was originally used by the pager company but also for the dishes for the microwave links from studio to transmitter by the radio stations when microwave links replaced land lines and also for microwave links to remote broadcast units.

KILT moved out to Greenway Plaza in 1995; the building sat idle for several years then housed the offices of TWIT, This Week In Texas, a gay, state-wide weekly, for a while as I remember. Don't know what's there now.

• The title was changed to Lovett Place Condominiums