Houston's Final Frontier

No, but I have a lot of experience in this area. My six brothers and sisters and I all, at one time or another were kids. I spent 15 years growing up in an inner city neighborhood, and could get anywhere on foot or bike. Upon moving to the suburbs, I could go nowhere without my parents ' or friends cars.

I am more than willing to be proven wrong by something other than your personal disagreement with my post. As I said, the suburbs aren't the problem, old steretypical views with no study to back it up are.

Before my child was born, I too wanted to stay in the loop forever. I was an inner loop snob.

But you know, we had to drive 10 miles to a decent grocery store. The bum factor was not safe, and crime was increasing in the area.

Who wants to raise a kid in that? It's just not safe.

Sure, there is crime in the burbs, too, but nothing like what we say in the city.

FYI - I grew up in the burbs, and we ruled the entire Southbelt/Pearland/Friendswood/Clear Lake area by BMX bike.

Guest danax
And do you ever wonder why you don't see a lof of kids running around playing in the city?

Things that make you go hmmm.....

And don't even get me started on HISD.

Midtown is still an odd spot for kids. There are inner-loop kid-friendly neighborhoods that give a child the full urban experience. I've got tons of kids running around my neighborhood on the east end. Crime is petty and low here and I agree, the schools are low level. Other than the schools it's a decent place to raise a family, the area just doesn't attract much other than singles like myself and hispanic families.

Eh? There are kids who hang around in the middle of the street my neighborhood when I come home from school.

And there are several good grocery stores in my area (2 Randall's, a Rice, a Kroger, and more).

A brand new library popped up, as did a new YMCA which replaced an older one.

And the schools; the elementary school is being rebuilt and the middle school will get the same. The elementary school and the two high schools that serve the neighborhood have IB status. So, yes, let's get started on HISD!

"Vic,

I disagree. Kids are raised on virtually every street of every neighborhood in Houston. There are certain stereotypes that apply to the neighborhoods that you mention...mostly, white upper middle class...but, that doesn't mean that if a neighborhood is not predominantly white and upper middle class, that it is harmful to children. "

Whoops.. I forgot to add the middle class part.. DOH!

However the guy who I responded to was mentioning areas like the Medical Center...

River Oaks

Roberts

Twain Elementary Schools

Lanier and Pershing Middle Schools.

Bellaire

Lamar

Waltrip High Schools

Six good schools, and a TON of bad ones. But hey, if you don't toot your own horn, who will?

Actually, Rod Paige did, and they were all lies!

Inner city Houston is much larger than these 10 square miles.

"River Oaks

Roberts

Twain Elementary Schools

Lanier and Pershing Middle Schools.

Bellaire

Lamar

Waltrip High Schools'

You forgot T.H. Rogers (which is a magnet school outside the loop), man! That place is so good! I expect Carnegie to join that list (although its outside 610).

Also, what about Horn, Condit, Lovett (all in or serving Bellaire with the latter two outside the loop), and West U? Are they good?

You also forgot DeBakey (rated Exemplary).

And that list is all we need for an urban-yet Texan middle class Houstonian, eh?

My area is not the only area with good grocery stores/schools/etc.. though those kinds of areas that appeal to middle class people with families tend to be nearby my area.. (also, the said middle school slated to be rebuilt also serves Bellaire AND West U).

Midtown is still an odd spot for kids. There are inner-loop kid-friendly neighborhoods that give a child the full urban experience. I've got tons of kids running around my neighborhood on the east end. Crime is petty and low here and I agree, the schools are low level. Other than the schools it's a decent place to raise a family, the area just doesn't attract much other than singles like myself and hispanic families.

Middle class kids are generally raised in Bellaire, West University, Braeswood, and Galleria area.

EDIT: Forgot the middle class part!

i agree with danax...i am considering moving to a neighborhood that has all the original houses (1940's) and is mostly families with kids. the homes go for around 100,000 or so. i have told some people about this, and i got the immediate "oh my god you want to move THERE?" response. come to find out it is not based on the neighborhood itself, but rather the ethnic diversity. i couldn't believe it!

and also, the "middle class-ness" of bellaire, west university and the galleria is more of a higher financial category...new homes in Bellaire are surmounting one million dollars! (the cheapie new ones are about 600K).

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"and also, the "middle class-ness" of bellaire, west university and the galleria is more of a higher financial category...new homes in Bellaire are surmounting one million dollars! (the cheapie new ones are about 600K).

"

Isn't 600K considered upper middle class?

"i agree with danax...i am considering moving to a neighborhood that has all the original houses (1940's) and is mostly families with kids. the homes go for around 100,000 or so. i have told some people about this, and i got the immediate "oh my god you want to move THERE?" response. come to find out it is not based on the neighborhood itself, but rather the ethnic diversity. i couldn't believe it!

"

Which neighborhoods do you have in mind?

Guest danax
i agree with danax...i am considering moving to a neighborhood that has all the original houses (1940's) and is mostly families with kids.

Yea, Texas Monthly rated Austin and Milby as five star..

All in all, there are good schools in HISD.

Also, Lamar has a much larger attendance boundary that it first seems (anyone who lives in the Lee HS attendance boundary may also choose Lamar or Westside).

"i agree with danax...i am considering moving to a neighborhood that has all the original houses (1940's) and is mostly families with kids. the homes go for around 100,000 or so. i have told some people about this, and i got the immediate "oh my god you want to move THERE?" response. come to find out it is not based on the neighborhood itself, but rather the ethnic diversity. i couldn't believe it!"

That reminds me of the neighborhood of the DPS place where I got my permit (it was near Welch Middle). Man, it was so diverse. There were Muslim women (probably from African countries), Hispanics, and Asians in there.

What's that neighborhood called? I might like living there!

EDIT: I found out that it's Fondren Southwest.

• The title was changed to Houston's Final Frontier