We're Famous

H-Town Man

Feast your eyes, folks:

Some critics have labeled 3333 Allen Parkway "tiara tower" because the 33-story condominium wears a sculpted metal crown. "We wonder if ET is going to land on top at night," one critic opined on houstonarchitecture.info.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/h...eatures/3212356

Is this the first time we've been mentioned in the press?

The thought that somebody read this forum and thought of us as "critics" should make all of us happy.

Feast your eyes, folks:

Some critics have labeled 3333 Allen Parkway "tiara tower" because the 33-story condominium wears a sculpted metal crown. "We wonder if ET is going to land on top at night," one critic opined on houstonarchitecture.info.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/h...eatures/3212356

Is this the first time we've been mentioned in the press?

The thought that somebody read this forum and thought of us as "critics" should make all of us happy.

Yeah foo :angry: !!! I'm a critic!!!! :lol::lol:

It's not the first time we've been mentioned in the media, but it's been a long time since it's happened. KTRK has used a few of the HAI photos and given on-air credit. Both KTRK and the Chronicle have tried several times to do articles on the web site, but those attempts were foiled by my former employer. Fortunately, if anyone tries again it will be OK with my current employer.

The first time I was approached by KTRK would have been a very cool story. They wanted me to take them on a tour of downtown Houston and tell them about the best pieces of architecture. As mentioned earlier, my former employer scuttled the idea, and the piece never aired.

We've also been mentioned in the Dallas Morning News, and WFAA.Com. But that was a few years ago.

Hehe..funny.

Not a bad article, BTW. I really hope the Chron gets a full time architectural column or something!

That Clifford Pugh writes architecture stories a couple of times a year which are good. Last year I wrote the Chronicle suggesting they hire a permanent architecture critic like all those big-city newspapers, but now I think that can never happen. At least we have Cite Magazine.

i wrote the chronicle with the same suggestion subdude.  maybe we should keep sending them a note every now and then?

The Chronicle goes out of its way to avoid offending in any manner (ever notice how they pair "pro" and "con" editorials so there is no clear editorial voice?). The problem is that any decent architecture critic will often have to say that some building is poor. I'm not sure that any architecture critic in the Chronicle would really have enough freedom to produce honest criticism, as opposed to just cheerleading. If that's the case, it probably just as well they don't hire one. There is still good coverage in Cite, and this board lets people be their own "east coast architects" ( :lol: ) as well.

• 2 years later...
It's not the first time we've been mentioned in the media, but it's been a long time since it's happened. KTRK has used a few of the HAI photos and given on-air credit. Both KTRK and the Chronicle have tried several times to do articles on the web site, but those attempts were foiled by my former employer. Fortunately, if anyone tries again it will be OK with my current employer.

The first time I was approached by KTRK would have been a very cool story. They wanted me to take them on a tour of downtown Houston and tell them about the best pieces of architecture. As mentioned earlier, my former employer scuttled the idea, and the piece never aired.

We've also been mentioned in the Dallas Morning News, and WFAA.Com. But that was a few years ago.

That wouls have been nice. Have they ever contacted you again?

That wouls have been nice. Have they ever contacted you again?

They have not, but KHOU did about six months ago. They wanted to use some of the HAI pictures on their web site. I told them no, but they were free to link to HAI. They thought that was a bad idea.

Then about two months ago I got a phone call from one of their reporters who wanted my help with a story. I told her I wasn't interested in talking to KHOu.

Then about a month ago KHOU STOLE SOME HAI CONTENT for their own web site. I've sent them a bill.

They just won't leave me alone.