Camera advice for a Novice

lockmat

I'm soliciting help from you photographers out there.

What do yall think of these new Nex cameras from Sony? They look and sound pretty cool. At the same time, I really don't know anything about cameras.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&identifier=S_NEX#/nex5Section&XID=O:43245_AlphaNexHL:Centro_Centro_corp_display

I like photography and would like to get into it but of course need the right type of camera. The main thing I want to do that a regular point and shoot camera can't do is focus on what I want. If the camera can do that, I think I'd be happy. I guess the camera I need for that is called a DSLR, is that right?

Any suggestions you may have on finding my first camera would be great. What about buying an older model? or a used one?

I never really liked the user interface on Sony cameras, and I don't have a great deal of experience with them personally. I would recommend one of Canon's smaller SLR cameras. They aren't as small as that Sony but they are damn good cameras and the lenses can be used with all of Canon's higher end SLRs if you ever upgrade. I'd personally recommend the Canon Rebel T1i or T2i. The T2i is my current camera and it's pretty amazing. The T1i is very similar except for less megapixels and a few minor differences.

+1 for the Canon Rebels - s.o. just got one (the lowest model) and it takes great pictures and is easy to use (I'm comparing this to my beast - Kodak DCSPro) and like Jax mentioned, the lenses are versatile...

Thanks for the feedback yall. I guess it's unanimous. I also see you pay for the quality as Canon's are more expensive than the Sony's.

This is the one yall recommend (below)? Are cameras like cars where it's the same make and model but it's slightly different each year? Is there a older version of the T1i that I could buy somewhere? Just lookin to save a little cash since I'm just an amateur.

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_rebel_t1i_ef_s_18_55mm_is_kit

And, Canon has an incredible 50mm lens that opens to f1.8 and costs $114 at Camera Co-op on Durham. That lens takes fantastic pictures.

Most of that went straight over my head, haha. That Canon link shows that a lens comes with it. As an amateur, I don't really need another lens, do I? But if I did, can you buy that online from the Co-op?

You don't have to get T1i, any of the Rebels would be a great introduction to photography. Here's the whole lineup, so just click through for a description of each. Mid-range section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Canon_DSLR_cameras

You can Google a model name with 'sample pictures' and get a good feel for what type of photos you can take with each.

You don't have to get T1i, any of the Rebels would be a great introduction to photography. Here's the whole lineup, so just click through for a description of each. Mid-range section.

http://en.wikipedia....on_DSLR_cameras

You can Google a model name with 'sample pictures' and get a good feel for what type of photos you can take with each.

Awesome resource with wikipedia, thanks. I guess I'm gonna have to do some research on what I want and learn all the technical spec info, because I'm not even sure. Like I said, as long as it can focus on what I want, which I'm sure all these do, and it can take good photos in any light, I think I'm good. I don't think I need video.

Honestly you don't need massive megapixel count to take great pictures. Even the lowest Rebel is fine as far as megapixels. There were other improvements throughout the Rebel series though. The sensors just kept getting better and better, and there is a pretty noticeable difference from the lowest and the higher ones. Especially in low light conditions where you have to shoot with a very high ISO, the higher end Rebels produce awesome images with very little noise.

Still, taking a good picture is more about framing the shot and configuring the settings than having some awesome camera.

Most of that went straight over my head, haha. That Canon link shows that a lens comes with it. As an amateur, I don't really need another lens, do I? But if I did, can you buy that online from the Co-op?

The lens that comes with the camera is OK, but your pictures will look better with a lens that has higher quality glass. The f1.8 means you can take pictures in low light without a flash. I used the Co-op as the source because it's local. You can save $10 or $15 by ordering online.

The lens that comes with the camera is OK, but your pictures will look better with a lens that has higher quality glass. The f1.8 means you can take pictures in low light without a flash. I used the Co-op as the source because it's local. You can save $10 or $15 by ordering online.

Ah, ok, good to know. Also, I guess I didn't read it right because I thought the Co-op was IN Durham, NC, haha :P But yeah, I really would prefer to not to have to use flash, so good info.

Ah, ok, good to know. Also, I guess I didn't read it right because I thought the Co-op was IN Durham, NC, haha :P But yeah, I really would prefer to not to have to use flash, so good info.

Oops. No, it's a cool camera shop on Durham South of Washington. It's on the right in a gray building. NIce folks, helpful, etc. I am willing to pay more to support local businesses like this. I would go online for a couple of hundred dollars, but not 10 or fifteen. They also have a decent selection of used items.

I've had good experiences with Sony's high-end camreas. If you're not already aware if it, Sony bought out Minolta, so what you're getting is a combination of the two. Hopefully the best of both worlds.

That said, the ecosystem for accessories for Canon and Nikon is far richer. But if that sort of thing really only makes a practival difference to super high-end photographers.

If you have the ability, try each at a big camera store and see which one feels best to you.

Unless you're shooting something very specific, or doing this for a living, there's no reason not to consider the Sony. And though I haven't checked lately, it's my understanding that Sony has been very aggressively pricing its cameras to take a couple of nibbles out of Canon/Nikon.

I've had good experiences with Sony's high-end camreas. If you're not already aware if it, Sony bought out Minolta, so what you're getting is a combination of the two. Hopefully the best of both worlds.

That said, the ecosystem for accessories for Canon and Nikon is far richer. But if that sort of thing really only makes a practival difference to super high-end photographers.

If you have the ability, try each at a big camera store and see which one feels best to you.

Unless you're shooting something very specific, or doing this for a living, there's no reason not to consider the Sony. And though I haven't checked lately, it's my understanding that Sony has been very aggressively pricing its cameras to take a couple of nibbles out of Canon/Nikon.

Where are the big camera stores in Houston?

Also, is there really such a huge difference in camera companies? I mean, people were taking great pictures years ago without all this technology. I'm sure each manufacturer does one thing better than the other but they take equally good pictures, no? I mean, is the photo quality going to be noticeable to uneducated eye? Don't get me wrong, I want the best camera for the money, but not knowing ANYTHING about cameras could make this process are real head banger.

So where is the best place to buy this thing? Canon's website? Camera Exchange? Any other ideas?

Thanks

actually, i just found this coupon. Seems like a pretty good deal, eh? Should I just upgrade to the Ti2 or just stay with the Ti1? Everywhere I read the Ti1 is ranked #1, but maybe that's just because it's last years rankings. Is it safe to assume the Ti2 is a tad better?

http://www.houstoncameraexchange.com/pdf/rebelrebatesoct2010.pdf

So where is the best place to buy this thing? Canon's website? Camera Exchange? Any other ideas?

Thanks

actually, i just found this coupon. Seems like a pretty good deal, eh? Should I just upgrade to the Ti2 or just stay with the Ti1? Everywhere I read the Ti1 is ranked #1, but maybe that's just because it's last years rankings. Is it safe to assume the Ti2 is a tad better?

http://www.houstoncameraexchange.com/pdf/rebelrebatesoct2010.pdf

From what I've read, the differences between the T1i and the T2i aren't all that significant -- a few more megapixels, and 1080p video instead of 720p.

Either way, wait for the T2i to come out. That way if you decide you want the T2i, you can buy it. If you decide you want the T1i, the price should drop.

From what I've read, the differences between the T1i and the T2i aren't all that significant -- a few more megapixels, and 1080p video instead of 720p.

Either way, wait for the T2i to come out. That way if you decide you want the T2i, you can buy it. If you decide you want the T1i, the price should drop.

T2i is already out I think. It's listed in the ad i linked to. I'm sure it has added features I won't even notice. Maybe it's just better to go with the T1i and save a few bucks.

Camera Exchange prices look decent.

Seems like they're the standard MSRP. The rebate thing they have goin on is nothing of their own...it's Canon's deal I think.

Now to ask yall about the lens :P

It looks like the standard lens that comes with it is called a EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens Kit, which I have no idea what that means. The other lens I could buy in this advertised packaged deal is the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS. I'm assuming that's a better lens? I rememeber someone at the beginning of this thread mentioning I should upgrade lenses right away anyway...so I guess I should go ahead and get this one?

The standard kit lens is decent and can take good pictures, but sooner or later you'll itch for something better. I'm itching for one right now.

Maybe the answer is obvious, but does a better lense simply give a more crisp and clear picture? What are other benefits of a higher grade lens? I know some like the fish-eye allow you to take a different kind of photo, but I'm not necessarily interested in distorting my photos.

Seems like they're the standard MSRP. The rebate thing they have goin on is nothing of their own...it's Canon's deal I think.

Now to ask yall about the lens :P

It looks like the standard lens that comes with it is called a EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens Kit, which I have no idea what that means. The other lens I could buy in this advertised packaged deal is the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS. I'm assuming that's a better lens? I rememeber someone at the beginning of this thread mentioning I should upgrade lenses right away anyway...so I guess I should go ahead and get this one?

I have both of those lenses for my T1i. The 18-55 is now my everyday lens, I only bring out the 22-250 for special occasions (like if I know I'm going to be on the roof of a building or something). It's a very good lens; Canon doesn't cheap out on its kit lenses. The more you get comfortable with it, the more you'll be able to do experiment and do fancy things with it.

I got mine from B&H, because the local high-end camera shop was sold out.

Looks like B&H has the T1i with the 18-55 lens for $699: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/613613-REG/Canon_3818B002_EOS_Rebel_T1i_500D.html

The T2i with the same lens is $849: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/675618-REG/Canon_4462B003_EOS_Rebel_T2i_Digital.html

That price is close enough for me that I'd seriously consider going with the T2i.

And as a first time DSLR owner, it's important to remember that high-end cameras don't come with a lens, so these kits are useful for getting started.

Maybe the answer is obvious, but does a better lense simply give a more crisp and clear picture? What are other benefits of a higher grade lens? I know some like the fish-eye allow you to take a different kind of photo, but I'm not necessarily interested in distorting my photos.

Since you're starting out, you probably don't want to load up on a whole bunch of lenses that you don't have a need for yet. A true fisheye is something you'll only VERY rarely use. The 18-55 mentioned above is wide enough (18) that you probably don't need a fisheye unless you're getting artsy.

Yes, better color complexity, clearer picture, better low light performance, etc. There are also factors like some are ideal for macro (shooting very small things) or for telephoto (big zoom range, good for shooting things very far away, paparazzi :lol:)

There's this website called Pixel-Peeper where you can look at sample photos taken by people on various lenses. Flickr stores the hidden EXIF data in photos, and Pixel-Peeper sorts and makes them browseable.

The standard Canon 18-55 kit lens is here: http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=25&p=10

The Canon 70-200m f/2.8 L http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=15

L designation on Canon lenses means that Canon considers it one of their highest quality lenses. I think it stands for Luxury. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/canon-lenses/Canon-L-Lens-Series.aspx That 70-200 f/2.8 L goes for like $1800 last time I checked, so lenses can get pretty $$$.

Samples from the rest of the Canon lenses: http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/canon/

As you can see, on the left side of Pixel Peeper you can also click the different manufacturers to see sample photos from various cameras as well. It's a pretty nice resource.

Well...I got the T2i on Friday. Took some pics at the Greek festival, on Westehimer and San Luis Pass while crabbing. I also got the EF-S 55-250mm lens but have not used it, yet.

I think I learned I need to learn how to use it. ,<frustrated> :angry2: I didn't become an instant Jax

I only consider about 4 of these pretty decent, but I just put all of them up there that we took: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25678046@N08/sets/72157625004939841/

In low light conditions, you will want to shoot with a very high ISO. Some cameras have problem with graininess at high ISO, but the last 3 Canon models all shoot nice pictures easily at ISO 1600. The other thing is post-production. After you snap it you have to edit to clean up the colors and etc. I am still learning about this, but I use a few very basic tweaks to improve my photos a bit. GIMP is a free image editing software that has Photoshop-like features.

My basic process is like this: http://world.std.com/~mmcirvin/gimp_tutorial/

That's really just scratching the surface, but I have found these edits can make a huge difference, especially the color levels adjustment.

Archived