Camera advice for a Novice

lockmat

I think I learned I need to learn how to use it. ,<frustrated> :angry2: I didn't become an instant Jax

Don't beat yourself up. It takes no one can be an instant Jax. He has a few years on you in that department, and I suspect some rather good equipment he's acquired.

Give it time. The photos you took look pretty darned good. :)

I too, have photo-jax-envy.

With the T2i, just put it on auto and you'll get very good pictures 95% of the time. Then you can experiment with the features and learn how to use them one at a time and you don't have to be disappointed with churning out a bunch of crappy pictures.

My recommendation is to first learn how Aperture Priority mode works -- that will give you the nice depth-of-field tricks that are so compelling. It will also help you shoot better at night and get those streaky car lights passing. Then learn Shutter Priority, which will help you in difficult lighting situations.

If you're not a pro, you really don't need to learn full manual. In fact, even in the professional world, there are fewer and fewer situations where full manual is necessary anymore because the in-camera software is so helpful.

I once asked a newspaper photographer friend of mine how often she resets her white balance (in film days you used to do it all the time). She said, "never." She just puts it on auto, except in mixed-lighting situations. "That's why I have a high-end camera -- so it works with me, not against me."

Not sure how I missed this thread up until now.

Lockmat.. come out to Italian Festival this weekend... another opportunity to break in the new toy.

Seems like lots of Canon lovers in the room. My mother and mother-in-law also love their Canon.

One thing that I think would be a deal breaker for me, as far as Canons, is the lack of using the LCD screen to frame a shot. LCD screen plus 90 degree downward tilt has saved me countless times for getting shots over the heads of crowds. From what I've seen, they can only be used to view photos already taken. Am I wrong in thinking this is universal of all Canons.. any of you have a model that differs?

Highway6, most digital SLR's make you look through the viewfinder to frame a shot. It's the nature of the beast. I carry a point and shoot for over the head shots.

Aperture priority is great on the Canons. I took some pictures at my cousins outdoor wedding at night with the aperture set for 1.8, and had the camera create RAW and jpg files. I used Photoshop Elements to change the curves on the RAW images, and was able to make them look great, despite the fact I never used the flash.

Seems like lots of Canon lovers in the room. My mother and mother-in-law also love their Canon.

One thing that I think would be a deal breaker for me, as far as Canons, is the lack of using the LCD screen to frame a shot. LCD screen plus 90 degree downward tilt has saved me countless times for getting shots over the heads of crowds. From what I've seen, they can only be used to view photos already taken. Am I wrong in thinking this is universal of all Canons.. any of you have a model that differs?

LCD preview is selectable on the Rebel series. It's disabled by default. I leave it disabled to save on battery.

Anyway lockmat, to briefly describe the auto modes, the green square selector is full auto, including the flash. The camera decides everything, and whether it wants to fire the flash based on available light. "P" is all of the same except the flash. P will fire the flash only if you have the flash up/deployed with the flash button on the front top. Both of these still allow you to adjust the ISO.

One thing I miss from my Sony days is the articulated viewfinder. I could get all kinds of cool angles, and even shoot around corners if I wanted to get candid shots.

I think some Nikons have this now, though. I know my Canon doesn't.

Not sure how I missed this thread up until now.

Lockmat.. come out to Italian Festival this weekend... another opportunity to break in the new toy.

Here are three that I thought turned out ok:

5088236328_08c0191feb.jpg

IMG_0458 by lockmat9, on Flickr

5088606354_2bc17413f5.jpg

IMG_0524 by lockmat9, on Flickr

5088264004_f1e970ba16.jpg

IMG_0463 by lockmat9, on Flickr

Maybe not the best pic but I just like it cuz they all have their hands on their heads :P

5087847107_15e9124404.jpg

IMG_0494 by lockmat9, on Flickr

And just had to throw in a picture of the Chicken Marsala b/c it was so delicious!!!

5088133722_58ca4ba005.jpg

IMG_0443 by lockmat9, on Flickr

Lots of good advice here, but I would offer an alternative solution: the Canon G11! It's basically a point-and-shoot on steroids!! It does all the great things that a P&S does but it also features all of the great options of a fully manual camera including manual focusing, shutter and aperture selection, aperture and shutter priority, etc. PLUS, it features image stabilization -- a feature typically only available in higher end lenses for the DLSR. Plus it captures video very nicely! I have shot several different models of Canon cameras over my career (AE-1, EOS 1-N, Rebel XT, etc.) and now find that this is the only camera I need. If I'm going to do work that requires using a specialized lens, I can always rent a DLSR body and lens. But the G11 gives me access to all ends of the photography spectrum.

Go to Camera Co-Op and they'll let you play with one for as long as you like (in the store, that is.) If buying local is important to you, I would defeinitely say that's the place to buy. If you want to save a few bucks, check out www.bhphotovideo.com - it's camera superstore in NYC and their prices are awesome, plus they carry EVERYTHING!

Good luck and enjoy your snaps!

• 1 month later...

I think I'm getting better, little by little. The picture I took of my nephew yesterday I think is by far my best photo so far.

For some reason a lot of them look great on the camera and then when I look at the on the computer they're not in focus :( I've been shooting a lot of fast moving objects lately. I did what the book told me on how to make them still, not blurry, but it made them dark and I couldn't figure out how to make them brighter.

5254936585_4344429607.jpg

I know I should probably crop this a little, but this is the original pic

Archived