Right turns

I've noticed a traffic trend lately that I really appreciate. People are staying in the center lane, or far left if there is one, to allow fellow motorists turning right to have passage. Instead of trying to get ahead of everyone else waiting at the light, folks are actually letting others make the right turn at lights. It seems to help ease congestion at stop lights and hope other Houston motorists catch on.

I've been doing this for years ever since a friend pointed it out to me in college. Now I feel guilty if I get caught at a light in the right lane and someone behind me wants to turn. I agree that this is a very polite thing to do. Another thing that I wish more people would do is move out smartly from a traffic light. Yes, I know, don't accelerate dangerously and watch out for people running the light, but having said that, the faster you leave the intersection, without dawdling, the more cars behind you can get through.

This is a very good thing to do, and I always pull to the left if I'm not making a right turn. But this allows for the jerk on the right to go straight and cut you off, which angers me, until I realize it's really not a big deal. :P

Isn't it the case though that people aren't necessarily trying to block the right lane from turning cars, but just trying to redistribute somewhat evenly among available lanes? If the right lane were open, and it was legal to go straight in that lane, than it seems a lot of people would naturally end up there.

I'd like to see green arrow right turn lights (on through-traffic red when cross-traffic has a protected turn where u-turns aren't allowed or possible)..

Agreed. Right turn lights would necessitate there being a right turn only lane. That's what I've observed at intersections with right turn signals like at the Eastex at Kingwood Dr. and at Shepherd and Kirby. Perhaps just the right turn only lane without the protected right signal would help traffic flow, but then you'd still have people who don't know you can turn right on red unless a sign says "no right turn on red". They'll have 10 people blowing at them but they won't budge. I also think school buses and METROlift vehicles are prohibited from making right turns on red.

Agreed. Right turn lights would necessitate there being a right turn only lane. That's what I've observed at intersections with right turn signals like at the Eastex at Kingwood Dr. and at Shepherd and Kirby. Perhaps just the right turn only lane without the protected right signal would help traffic flow, but then you'd still have people who don't know you can turn right on red unless a sign says "no right turn on red". They'll have 10 people blowing at them but they won't budge. I also think school buses and METROlift vehicles are prohibited from making right turns on red.

I think the school bus thing varies by jurisdiction. Protected right turn arrows are odd in a lot of places, but some states use them quite liberally. They seem to be on every other major interesection in states like Illinois and California, where there's a signal for practically every lane of traffic and additional signals at katy-corners for increased visibility. The Dallas-Ft Worth Metroplex also has more right-turn arrows than most metro areas I've been to.

I think the school bus thing varies by jurisdiction. Protected right turn arrows are odd in a lot of places, but some states use them quite liberally. They seem to be on every other major interesection in states like Illinois and California, where there's a signal for practically every lane of traffic and additional signals at katy-corners for increased visibility. The Dallas-Ft Worth Metroplex also has more right-turn arrows than most metro areas I've been to.

Wherever there is sufficient ROW and dedicated left turn lanes/signals where a U-turn is not allowed, a right turn lane and protected arrow makes sense to keep things moving. Any traffic light configuration that can move multiple lanes/directions at once is better than not.