Was this part of the movie really taped in Houston?

Oh yes! I remember when it came out, it was exciting to see part of my "hood" on the silver screen. Most of Jason's Lyric was filmed in the Third Ward area, with exception to some downtown scenes, one scene at the spotting area at the end of runway 12R at Hobby Airport, and one scene with Allen Payne and Jada Pinkett on the now gone railroad bridge over Buffalo Bayou just east of Montrose/Studemont between Allen Parkway and Memorial. Some of the places in the film may have been lost to regentrification by now, though others are still extant. If I recall, a lot of the Third Ward scenes were filmed on or around Holman, Blodgett, and Dowling.

Edited by JLWM8609

So the part starting at 3:00 to about 3:40 was taped in Houston. I have never seen that area, it looks like a little downtown or something. it must be torn down.

Be sure to keep in mind that areas are often gussied up for movie appearances.

If you look at it, there are only four buildings that make up that "downtown" urban environment you're taking delight in. You could probably still find places to recreate that scene through out the 3rd ward today. Like the other poster said, the location was staged for the scene. Fresh paint, signs, and people!

• Like 1

I looked at the clip again and it's possible that the houses are in Fifth Ward.

I'm certain it was Third Ward. In one scene, you can see street signs and while they're not clearly visible in the YouTube versions, the regular video versions have the street names clearly visible. I forget what the street names were exactly, but I remember them being Third Ward area streets.

I'm certain it was Third Ward. In one scene, you can see street signs and while they're not clearly visible in the YouTube versions, the regular video versions have the street names clearly visible. I forget what the street names were exactly, but I remember them being Third Ward area streets.

You're right - the corner being turned at the 3 min mark appears to be someone headed south (SW, I guess) on Nagle and turning right onto McGowen. I see you already linked to the Ralston's down the street, which is really the only identifying marker besides the shape of that building on the corner

Edit: Random story, but I actually ran into Forest Whitaker at the baggage claim in Luanda, Angola a couple of years ago. Talk about unexpected...

Edited by OkieEric
  • Like 1

I looked at the clip again and it's possible that the houses are in Fifth Ward. They are on blocks and many houses out in that area are raised like that. Just a thought.

This is definitely the spot:

The cab driver makes a right turn from Nagle onto McGowen. Two of the buildings have been torn down [or a facade was built for the movie].

• 1 month later...
  • 12 years later...
On 7/16/2010 at 4:53 AM, houstonmacbro said:

I looked at the clip again and it's possible that the houses are in Fifth Ward. They are on blocks and many houses out in that area are raised like that. Just a thought.

Nope. That’s the bottoms. Original 103. The only part of the movie filmed on the north side is the basketball court scene directly behind downtown Houston, and the train tacks of Union Pacific coming from the penitentiary 

On 7/17/2010 at 2:03 AM, kylejack said:

This is definitely the spot:

The cab driver makes a right turn from Nagle onto McGowen. Two of the buildings have been torn down [or a facade was built for the movie].

Everything on the McGowan strip is still there. There was a BBQ place on the corner of nagle it’s an unoccupied building right now, but still there

On 7/16/2010 at 8:28 AM, Jeebus said:

If you look at it, there are only four buildings that make up that "downtown" urban environment you're taking delight in. You could probably still find places to recreate that scene through out the 3rd ward today. Like the other poster said, the location was staged for the scene. Fresh paint, signs, and people!

Majority of the extras were locals, they left the area just like they found it. Jason/Josh house was a friend of mine house back in the day. The area still looks the same minus a few row houses and apartments. 95% the same no cap. 

On 7/16/2010 at 11:09 PM, OkieEric said:

You're right - the corner being turned at the 3 min mark appears to be someone headed south (SW, I guess) on Nagle and turning right onto McGowen. I see you already linked to the Ralston's down the street, which is really the only identifying marker besides the shape of that building on the corner

Edit: Random story, but I actually ran into Forest Whitaker at the baggage claim in Luanda, Angola a couple of years ago. Talk about unexpected...

Majority of the movie is filmed in 3rd ward but the restaurant scene is chin McGregor Terrace on blodgett. No shooting was done in River Oaks for this movie. Once you pass the frenchys chicken on Scott, it turns into macgregor terrace about two miles from Yellowstone Texas. 

On 7/16/2010 at 8:19 AM, kylejack said:

The movie is not that good imo but the Houston shots are great. There's basketball at Fonde Recreation Center with downtown in the background, and a scene on West Gray when he shows up in a Metro bus to pick her up at the stop.

That’s Blodgett and Scott, no River Oaks scenes in the movie. White purple want having none of that. 

4 hours ago, Jack27 said:

Majority of the movie is filmed in 3rd ward but the restaurant scene is chin McGregor Terrace on blodgett.

The restaurant scene was filmed at This Is It in 4th Ward at 239 W. Gray at Genesee in 1993. That building is now a doggie daycare (classic gentrification!). This Is It didn't move to the Blodgett location (former Family Cafe) until 2010.

Edited by JLWM8609
  • Like 1