Restaurants To Impress The Out-of-towners

I have some friends coming in from out-of-town, and am looking for restaurants to take them to that captures the spirit of the region. Usually, I'll ask them what type of food they want and take them to fun places based on what they say. Since most say Mexican or BBQ, I'll take them to either Chuy's or Goode Company. If they say they don't care, sometimes I'll take them to Treebears to show off our Cajun influences or Van Loc to show off our Vietnamese influence (out-of-towners are always amazed at the number of southeast asians that call Houston home).

Do you have any other suggestions?

Well, there's "Niko Niko's" and "One's a meal" if you wish to show off greek. :)

Then there Babba Yeggas (sorry for the mispelling) in the montrose, that's an awesome place to eat.

Aladdin's is a relatively new place on Westiemer and Montrose and I've heard good things about it.

Personally Chuy's is a good choice, but The Original Ninfa's would be a better place.

BBQ in the east side would be far better; Perhaps the Kozy Kitchen on Lockwood ( I think)

Ricco

For Greek, the wife and I like Mykonos Island on Richmond at Greenbriar. The food blows One's a Meal away, although you can't get chili and eggs at Mykonos. And of course, you don't get the same "service" that you get at One's a Meal...I always enjoy our waiter at One's a Meal. Between hitting on my wife and our female friends and not allowing us to order what we want, we always have a good time! It's a trip...but all in good fun. Always a blast to eat there, especially with a hangover. They make us laugh.

We used to go to Tony Mandola's Blue Oyster Bar on the Gulf Fwy near Park Place all the time...unfortunately they closed down last year. That was a good place for good fresh Gulf seafood. Anyone have a reasonable replacement for Tony Mandola's inside the Loop?

Maybe take your visitors down to Seabrook and check out all the fresh seafood markets. You're buying it as fresh as it gets at the markets there under the big bridge. Buy some oysters and shrimp and cook 'em up at home for a good fun meal.

Head to Hillcroft for some good, cheap Indian and Middle Eastern. The stretch from US 59 to Richmond is FILLED with good eats. Go to Ashoka on Hillcroft for more upscale Indian, but there are plenty of hole in the walls to get a dosa or some puri's. I like Sri Balaji Bhavand between Harwin and Westpark...good stuff. Abdallah's at Westpark and Hillcroft is a good cafeteria-style Middle Eastern place. You can also get good cheap eats at the gigantic Droubi's near Westheimer.

i have to second the original ninfa's location, van loc and goode company. three of my favorites. one more interesting twist on houston eateries is south american influenced cuisine. try cafe red onion off of kirby, right next door to madras indian restaurant and miyako. yummy.

America's in the Galleria is amazing - I take my mom there everytime she comes (actually she asks to go there).....

The Aquarium downtown is very touristy - but not too bad if you like looking at (and eating) fish !!

Mama Ninfa's on Navigation is a good Mexican place...

Another good choice, but not exactly ritzy, is the Barbeque Inn on Crosstimbers and Yale. The barbeque is good, but the steaks, fried shrimp, and fried chicken are incredible. It is sort of retro east Texas style. I can't explain it, but you will know it when you see it.

The waitresses have been there since God was a boy and all call you "honey" while taking your orders and setting up the baskets of melba toast and club crackers.

Another good choice, but not exactly ritzy, is the Barbeque Inn on Crosstimbers and Yale.  The barbeque is good, but the steaks, fried shrimp, and fried chicken are incredible.  It is sort of retro east Texas style.  I can't explain it, but you will know it when you see it. 

The waitresses have been there since God was a boy and all call you "honey" while taking your orders and setting up the baskets of melba toast and club crackers.

Barbeque Inn was the "fancy" restaurant we went to on special occasions when I was a kid. Looking back, it's not exactly high class, but to me it was, and they just seemed to have the best shrimp in the world. I haven't been there for over 10 years, but now I must go back.

Thanks for bringing that one up.

Wow, others know of Barbeque Inn? That's one of my favorite places. The best items there are the fried plates. I would put their chicken fried steak up against anything this city has to offer. Another restaurant in the same vein in that vicinity is the TripleA (next to the Airline Farmers Market). Like the Barbeque Inn, it's been there since the beginning of time.

Thanks for the suggestions. To the person mentioning Pappasito's, you're right, that place does impress out-of-towners.

• 1 month later...
Barbeque Inn was the "fancy" restaurant we went to on special occasions when I was a kid.  Looking back, it's not exactly high class, but to me it was, and they just seemed to have the best shrimp in the world.  I haven't been there for over 10 years, but now I must go back.

Thanks for bringing that one up.

If you're a minority, watch out about Barbeque Inn, they tend to shun minority customers.

i love the seafood enchiladas at pappasito's, but yesterday i tried the new spicy shrimp enchiladas. YUM. go with black beans instead of the lard laced charro beans. good times........good times.......;)

America's or Grand Lux for the interior design and service.

Paulie's on Westheimer for the neighborhood feel and spinach salad.

Empire Cafe or Baby Barnaby's for breakfast.

Niko Niko's for affordable Greek.

Colina's on Richmond for pizza and friendly service.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived