HAIF HD-5 upgrade

editor

Ahh.. it's per post. Interesting. That should definitely increase the accountability. And I see it's also retroactive.

See and feel the love, dude.

Or the hate, depending on the content. :)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking at my profile and don't see any options for seeing who has rated me. Does this mean that this feature isn't retroactive and I won't see anything until I get a new rating point from someone ?

try now.

Interesting, since the new system is moving the same amount of data (and possibly a little more) than the previous version. I think the simplified layout helps older browsers.

I am also seeing noticeably faster pageload times than with the old version, and I'm using Firefox 3.6.3; however, using an up-to-date browser is probably offset by the computer I typically view HAIF on, a ten-year-old box running Win2K Server on a single-core 1.3GHz AMD Athlon CPU.

I'm looking at my profile and don't see any options for seeing who has rated me. Does this mean that this feature isn't retroactive and I won't see anything until I get a new rating point from someone ?

It's not in the profile, it's in the individual post. Click on the ugly lime green number thingy.

Ahh.. it's per post. Interesting. That should definitely increase the accountability. And I see it's also retroactive.

Retroactive? I didn't expect that. I guess that means the forum has been tracking those clicks all along.

I think certain users are going to have a busy night.

I am also seeing noticeably faster pageload times than with the old version, and I'm using Firefox 3.6.3; however, using an up-to-date browser is probably offset by the computer I typically view HAIF on, a ten-year-old box running Win2K Server on a single-core 1.3GHz AMD Athlon CPU.

For what it's worth, the new HAIF is much snappier on my wife's netbook, too -- a measly eeePC 701: 900 MHz Celeron with 512 megs of RAM and 3 gigs of storage.

I like the topic icons and recognize the symbols, but haven't figured out the meaning of each yet.

It loads faster for me too (Firefox 3.6.3), but I think it might have to do with how the ads are loaded. I have adblock turned off ($$!!), and the only time it hangs, the note at the bottom is that it's waiting for some URL that is obviously related to ads. It hasn't done that yet in HD5.

Retroactive? I didn't expect that. I guess that means the forum has been tracking those clicks all along.

I think certain users are going to have a busy night.

Well, I have no fear about that. I've even clicked positive with people I generally disagree with.

Remember kids: Big brother may not be watching, but it's always good to act ethically so you don't get worried when these little surprises happens.ph34r.gif

Sorry. I must have misread what you wrote. I don't remember if there was a 12/24/48 hour option before. I'm fairly certain there wasn't, though there's no way to go back to be sure.

I've added your request to the list of things I'm going to try to implement with the new upgrade. If I'm able to make it happen, I'll post here.

Editor.. I was looking back through the original Haif-HD upgrade thread. According to posts #236 and 246.... it does look like prior to the HD switch of July 09, we did have the option to see active threads of the last 12 hours or so.

Hopefully that's something that this latest HD software version has brought back.

Functions improved, easier to access, and faster. Love it, except, aren't digging the color scheme, probably just me. Moreso, on the thread color scheme, andthe quote box annoys me. This shade of olive green with shades of blues ins't too appealing, but again, probably just me.

Noticed the topic preview, great addition, except, I believe, it shows the 1st post. Is there any way for it to

show the last post? I think that would be more help, at least for the "hot" threads, ones that are constantly posted on, so we can preview the new posts. Though, initially, it will help to see what the thread is about. Also, like that we can comment on one's statuses rather than post our status in response to other people's status.

But function-wise, a great improvement, and thats what's important. Great job, editor.

I like the topic icons and recognize the symbols, but haven't figured out the meaning of each yet.

f_unread.png

There are posts in this section that you have not read.

f_cat_read.png

You have read all the posts in this section.

t_closed.png

This thread is closed.

t_poll_unread.png

This is a poll thread that has posts you haven't seen.

t_poll_read.png

This is a poll thread that you have already seen everything in.

f_redirect.png

This thread has been moved.

t_announcement.png

This is an announcement.

A big thanks to Highway6 for putting those together for us. He's got a few others he's still working on.

Also thanks to Brijonmang who is also working on some HAIF icons for us. I look forward to seeing those in action as well.

The app for facebook connect is new?

It's not entirely new. But it is vastly improved.

Before, the only thing it did was allow you to log in to HAIF with your Facebook account. Now it has many more Facebook-related functions, as listed earlier in this thread.

For those of you wondering why you would want to log in to HAIF with your Facebook or Twitter account, there are two reasons:

1 - If you don't already have a HAIF account, you don't have to come up with a whole new set of names and passwords to remember.

2 - If you already have a HAIF account, signing in is as simple as clicking the Facebook or Twitter logo. You don't have to enter a name and password.

Editor.. I was looking back through the original Haif-HD upgrade thread. According to posts #236 and 246.... it does look like prior to the HD switch of July 09, we did have the option to see active threads of the last 12 hours or so.

Hopefully that's something that this latest HD software version has brought back.

What the people in those posts were talking about is the "Show me all new content since my last visit" feature which is available in your settings.

When we upgraded to HD4, initially that was replaced with "Show me all content that I have not read." This was confusing for many HAIFers who were used to clicking on View New Posts and expecting "Show me all new content since my last visit." But with the change in HD4, clicking that button not only returned "Show me all content that I have not read," it also marked everything in that list as read. So when people had viewed one thread from View New Posts, and returned to View New Posts expecting to see the rest of the threads they had not clicked on, they only saw one or two that had been updated while they were reading the previous thread since everything was marked read.

HAIFers weren't the only people burned by this change, so that's why we have both options now.

Agoraphoria used to run the old HAIF software, before I killed it back in January. There is no hour-based function in Agoraphoria's View New Posts feature. It only looks like 12- or 24- hours because that's how long it had been since your last visit to HAIF.

Again, I will try to add a 12- and 24-hour post button, but I'm not sure if it's possible.

The new mobile version looks great on my Storm. Is there a way to give rep points with it though? I couldn't locate the plus sign.

And it loads really quickly.

(couldn't find the edit button either)

Certain functions (like rep) require heavy AJAX and other technologies that do not work equally well (or at all) across all mobile platforms, so they don't exist in the mobile version.

Glad to hear it works on your Storm. I know that a lot of non-iPhone users had trouble with the previous mobile output.

It would be great if everyone (mobile and otherwise) could post screenshots of HAIF in this thread so I can see how it looks on various machines and make sure all of the output is formatted correctly.

Functions improved, easier to access, and faster. Love it, except, aren't digging the color scheme, probably just me. Moreso, on the thread color scheme, andthe quote box annoys me. This shade of olive green with shades of blues ins't too appealing, but again, probably just me.

Patience. The blues will change, but be refined over time to give it more contrast (especially in forms). The quotes have been given to Brijonmang to do.

Noticed the topic preview, great addition, except, I believe, it shows the 1st post. Is there any way for it to

show the last post?

Yes. Click "Last Post."

post-1-049550800 1276190923_thumb.jpg

On some threads there is also the option to see the first post in that thread that you haven't read yet.

From what I've seen thus far.. it looks like people are much less likely to rate up or down since it's instantly visible

Can editor tell how many rating points are issued each day... I wonder if the amount really is way down...

From what I've seen thus far.. it looks like people are much less likely to rate up or down since it's instantly visible

Can editor tell how many rating points are issued each day... I wonder if the amount really is way down...

I'm more inclined to give positive points now that people can see them. I often just don't think about it, but I don't want to be considered stingy because of my absent-mindedness. I'll probably never giver out a negative rating though, regardless of my opinion of what's written, and regardless of whether or not people knew I gave it. That's just not my style. Anyhow, considering I've got 5,000 positive points to spread around today, everybody who's posted on this thread gets a taste of Flinch love.

There isn't a function in the control panel for such things. I could probably figure out how to do it directly through the database, but it would require a few hours that I really don't have.

It is now possible to "Like" a thread, if you have a Facebook account. This works even if you haven't linked your Facebook and HAIF accounts.

post-1-040194000 1276189017_thumb.jpg

i like this feature; however, the thumbnail pictures is an "IP Board" image. i'd rather not have an image if this is all their is. a haif image would be nice.

i like this feature; however, the thumbnail pictures is an "IP Board" image. i'd rather not have an image if this is all their is. a haif image would be nice.

Sneaky basterds. Thanks for catching that. I would have never noticed it.

I think I fixed it. Hopefully it looks like this now:

meta_image.png

Well, not exactly. I changed it, but Facebook is still caching the old version. Hopefully it will update soonish.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From the +/- ratings, or the quotations, or both?

The ratings... it seems we changed that from neon green to something much nicer during HD4

I have no prob with the quotations.. though it seems that was mentioned in one of the upgrade threads.

Archived