Colbert Nation comes to Houston!

dbigtex56

You're right, I'm so stupid... I just realized that you are a satirist as well, but I have to admit, Colbert is funnier than you...sorry.

I'm no satirist, I'm in sales and asset management. No doubt he's funnier than me. He's quite skilled at his job, and the fact he has a team of comedy writers scripting his monologues doesn't hurt.

Present the times that I've made light of a grave situation. You can't.
Don't get your panties in a wad, Hanuman. Some people laugh at "your mom" jokes and some people get offended because they don't grasp the generality of the punchline's target. I suspect you're the latter. Perhaps we should get some red wine in you and your sense of humor will return.
My comments on Colbert / 911 had nothing to do with defending, or damning George W. Bush. I was talking about a personal tragedy of the people - NOT politics. Let's wait until Colbert delivers a satire on President Obama, and uses the, "N" word, and see how funny you think that is.

Then sorry to offend you, but tragedy is some of the best fodder for humor. Most people would rather laugh than cry in the wake of something monumentally bad.

I suppose it's a good thing you weren't hanging out with me and my friends the morning of 9/11. Our way of dealing with the tragedy was getting stupid high, speculating about conspiracies and telling incredibly crass jokes. Then we got our swim trunks and a couple cases of beer and had a barbecue beside one of Central Texas' most beautiful rivers. That's how we coped with such an enormously tragic tragedy. Sounds to me your coping mechanism is different than mine, and more power to you. However, just because you haven't yet come to terms with the impact of this tragedy doesn't mean the rest of us haven't either. Time waits for no man, Hanuman, and I'm truly sorry you've been offended, but that doesn't mean the jokes are going to stop. You aren't the arbiter of good taste. Besides all this, when Colbert was speaking of rubble, he was referring to Baghdad, not 9/11. Perhaps you would have caught that had you been more familiar with his schtick... but kneejerk reactions are much more fun, aren't they?

I second all of this. I wonder if he's actually going to visit the city or head straight to NASA.

Also, the publicity for Johnson Space Center couldn't come at a better time.

I certainly agree! I have worked within this program for many years. We cannot afford another NASA crisis like we suffered in the 1980's from a financial point, and we absolutely must not become dependent on other countries to help us in space - we must remain the leader, and control our destiny there.

I certainly agree! I have worked within this program for many years. We cannot afford another NASA crisis like we suffered in the 1980's from a financial point, and we absolutely must not become dependent on other countries to help us in space - we must remain the leader, and control our destiny there.

With that in mind, I would suggest everyone greet him with open arms. If NASA wants funding (and it would seem they do by their PR move to Colbert), then Houston should support that effort. If the end is space program awareness, retaining jobs or stimulation to the local economy, it's worth it. Get Annise out there, we're looking more progressive everyday and have some stuff going on in Houston to be proud of. If it is only a "bit" act on the show planned right now, maybe the city reaching out would bring him here for a show or a week's worth. They can film at NASA, let people donate $ for tickets to go towards NASA. Take advantage of a guy with a camera who wants to wear a spacesuit, dangit!

And if Fox News is your news source, don't expect to get the joke. In fact, you may be the joke. But at least NASA will get some $$$ and they sure do need it, so please just play along.

I'm no satirist, I'm in sales and asset management.

Don't get your panties in a wad, Hanuman. Perhaps we should get some red wine in you and your sense of humor will return.

Then sorry to offend you, but tragedy is some of the best fodder for humor. Most people would rather laugh than cry in the wake of something monumentally bad.

I suppose it's a good thing you weren't hanging out with me and my friends the morning of 9/11. ... but kneejerk reactions are much more fun, aren't they?

Reverse satirism! LMAO! Sales & asset management isn't satire, and not scripted!!! Ha! Ha! Lol! You ARE funnier than Colbert!

O.K. Flinch I took your suggestion, and began on a bottle of St. Francis, 2002 old vines red Zinfandel right after your earlier post. A little Italian food @ Palazzio's, not a good wine list, but they let me bmow. Came home, and finished a collector bottle of Mondavi. I'm in good shape now, after my knee-jerk ( Proper spelling btw) reaction to your post.

Everyone has been kind enough to point out my short-sightedness in regard to Colbert. I read what you & your friends did on 911 to cope with it. The difference is, I did not have that luxury ... to deal with it in that simplistic way. I live with it still today, as my neighbor of 27 years & her 3 children depend on me & my family each day to get one more hour past without breaking apart. Her husband, and the kids' father was on the first plane that hit the first tower. The last I will say about it, in honor of he & his family. You didn't know why I over reacted - now you do. Sorry, I'll try to hide my emotions a little better in the future.

Back on topic, we cannot allow our satellite technology to fall prey to asking permission to go up and fix them, from any other nation. There are things in orbit that are our real strategic strength. Mars is a dream, and the return to the Moon is not the essential role of the space program. Instead, the DOD program should be left in tact with NASA. If Colbert's visit can assist with the exposure needed to draw the proper attention to these subjects, then, BRAVO!

Back on topic, we cannot allow our satellite technology to fall prey to asking permission to go up and fix them, from any other nation. There are things in orbit that are our real strategic strength. Mars is a dream, and the return to the Moon is not the essential role of the space program. Instead, the DOD program should be left in tact with NASA. If Colbert's visit can assist with the exposure needed to draw the proper attention to these subjects, then, BRAVO!

NASA is already developing robots to handle that task. There are commercial vehicles capable of taking the robots into orbit. We don't need anyone's permission to service the satellites. Other than Hubble, I don't recall the space shuttle doing much of that anyway. The only losers will be high school science projects. NASA doesn't need to be in the satellite repair business. NASA needs to be in the research and development business.

FWIW, I don't think that the Colbert Report is very funny either. (Attica is funnier.) It's not that he doesn't have a good character, just that the quantity of material that has to be generated to fill his time slot exceeds what can possibly be made funny, even by talented writers. And if his character has to comment on every single event, there are plenty of times when his character and the story needing to be covered--or his guests--just aren't going to mesh very well.

There are also times when, frankly, it's too easy to satirize on the rightist pundits. There's a pattern that they use, and Colbert has established it, made a killing by mocking it, and just won't stop beating on that dead horse. It's gotten boring.

FWIW, I don't think that the Colbert Report is very funny either. (Attica is funnier.) It's not that he doesn't have a good character, just that the quantity of material that has to be generated to fill his time slot exceeds what can possibly be made funny, even by talented writers. And if his character has to comment on every single event, there are plenty of times when his character and the story needing to be covered--or his guests--just aren't going to mesh very well.

There are also times when, frankly, it's too easy to satirize on the rightist pundits. There's a pattern that they use, and Colbert has established it, made a killing by mocking it, and just won't stop beating on that dead horse. It's gotten boring.

Nah, it's still relevant. As long as the Bill O'Reillys, Rush Limbaughs and the Glenn Becks of the world exist, there will be a market for mocking them. If anything, Colbert's continued persistence with his character continually serves to highlight just how ridiculous the characters of his muses are - and also serves to take away some of the impact of their banal messages. The real tragedy for Colbert would be if Fox News shuttered its doors, talk radio once again became all about sports and America became an Amy Goodman utopia. Then what would he do? He'd be in the breadline with the rest of us peons.

Nah, it's still relevant. As long as the Bill O'Reillys, Rush Limbaughs and the Glenn Becks of the world exist, there will be a market for mocking them. If anything, Colbert's continued persistence with his character continually serves to highlight just how ridiculous the characters of his muses are - and also serves to take away some of the impact of their banal messages. The real tragedy for Colbert would be if Fox News shuttered its doors, talk radio once again became all about sports and America became an Amy Goodman utopia. Then what would he do? He'd be in the breadline with the rest of us peons.

I wouldn't dare dispute whether Stephen Colbert is marketable.

I wouldn't dare dispute whether Stephen Colbert is marketable.

But you will dispute whether or not beating a dead horse is a fun way to spend an hour or two?

I ask you, sir, have you ever beaten a dead horse?

It's not as exhilarating as beating a live one, but it's about a hundred degrees more exciting than thumb twiddling.

But you will dispute whether or not beating a dead horse is a fun way to spend an hour or two?

I ask you, sir, have you ever beaten a dead horse?

It's not as exhilarating as beating a live one, but it's about a hundred degrees more exciting than thumb twiddling.

I take it all back. Colbert is funnier than you.

NASA is already developing robots to handle that task. There are commercial vehicles capable of taking the robots into orbit. We don't need anyone's permission to service the satellites. Other than Hubble, I don't recall the space shuttle doing much of that anyway. The only losers will be high school science projects. NASA doesn't need to be in the satellite repair business. NASA needs to be in the research and development business.

NASA is in that business, but satellites require tremendous R&D still. The technology is still in the infant stages of things that are possible. There also have been very few shuttle missions that did not have DOD missions as part of their tasks. ALL of these dealt with satellites. You are correct that all of the newer ( Last 20 years ) satellites are self correcting, and can do self - maintenance, as well as some with remote control. There are, however, critical missions that exist. One recently was the older satellite that went AWOL, and lost orbit, threatening to re-enter & spew Zeon into the atmosphere. This had to be handled by outside manipulation. I am not worried about deep space, or return to the Moon. I am concerned about orbital prominance, as well as superiority.

It's me. I moonlight as a tarsier on regionally specific architecture forums, but by day I do political satire.

No, No... it's me. I moonlight as a Hindi antagonistic prankster on a regionally specific architecture forum, but by day I fall flat on my face trying to perform comedy!

Note: I did it again Red, sorry....

but by day I fall flat on my face trying to perform comedy!

He wanted to know who Stephen Colbert is, not who Larry the Cable Guy is.

By the way, did anyone happen to catch the Daily Show's opening bit last night? I don't normally ell oh ell, but good god, that was hilarious.

I usually don't watch Colbert, but the times that I do, he just seems to do a better job than some journalists. I'm surprised he gets some of the guests that he does because he can (and does) tear them apart. The same thing with The Daily Show, I don't watch him often, but wow!

Archived