Colbert Nation comes to Houston!

dbigtex56

Last night Stephen Colbert announced that he intends to visit Houston (specifically NASA) sometime in May My link

I've already contacted the mayor's office, and hope Ms Parker will give him some recognition. Here's an opportunity to be ridiculed in the national media once again; let's make the most of it!

Last night Stephen Colbert announced that he intends to visit Houston (specifically NASA) sometime in May My link

I've already contacted the mayor's office, and hope Ms Parker will give him some recognition. Here's an opportunity to be ridiculed in the national media once again; let's make the most of it!

I watched the show last night but don't remember this revelation at all.

Well, I wasn't so much watching it as sleeping while it was on.

No one in particular. Winner of the Peabody award, three time Emmy nominee, host of an extremely popular Comedy Central show, named as one of the 100 most influential people by Time magazine in 2006.

Just some loser. Wikipedia Stephen Colbert

None of your links work dbigtex.... too many http://s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Colbert

"I never thought there would be a day when I'd be excited to go to Houston."

I take it he's never been to Lankford Grocery then.

Can you say, "Chicken Sliders" Flinch?

So, Mr. hotshot is an interloper eh? Well, welcome to Houston padna'!

"I never thought there would be a day when I'd be excited to go to Houston."

I take it he's never been to Lankford Grocery then.

Or ShotGun Kroger.

No one in particular. Winner of the Peabody award, three time Emmy nominee, host of an extremely popular Comedy Central show, named as one of the 100 most influential people by Time magazine in 2006.

Just some loser. Wikipedia Stephen Colbert

Never heard of him or his Peebody award. I don't watch the Emmys nor do I watch Comedy Central. I read The Economist or other Non-Fiction. Not Time. Ugh. What does he do? Stand up comedy?

Never heard of him or his Peebody award. I don't watch the Emmys nor do I watch Comedy Central. I read The Economist or other Non-Fiction. Not Time. Ugh. What does he do? Stand up comedy?

Mostly, he makes fun of people who read The Economist. No, really, he does.

Or ShotGun Kroger.

You may or may not like his style and sense of humor. But he's one of the most brilliant satirists around. I suggest watching his speech at the White House Correspondents' dinner from a few years ago...one of his all-time best performances.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-869183917758574879#

You may or may not like his style and sense of humor. But he's one of the most brilliant satirists around. I suggest watching his speech at the White House Correspondents' dinner from a few years ago...one of his all-time best performances.

http://video.google....83917758574879#

I have never seen him either, but if this is one of his most memorable performances, I will tell you emphatically that he's no Will Rogers. Not only do I not find him funny, but he is insulting as well. I was at least watching, until he stated that Bush stood on top of things including, "Rubble". That, in my book is sacrilege. I had three business associates who died in the 911 attack, who had wives, and family, and children. They are now, without. NOT funny!

At any rate - should Mayor Parker acknowledge his visit?

I say, without reservation, yes. I have a great deal of confidence in Her Honor's quick wit and sense of humor.

He might have some fun at her expense, but I bet she'll come out looking good - and so will Houston.

On the flip side.... Would the mayor of Chicago acknowledge Colbert if he came to visit and filmed for a week ? I'm guessing probably not.

We're the 4th largest city in the country.. Maybe we should act like one of the big boys and just let him come and do his stuff without giving him any special treatment.

Actually, I'd bet that Mayor Daley would probably show up on a Chicago Colbert show. As for Mayor Parker, she was on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me in February, one of which aired this morning, and she was remarkably dry and witty. I think she'd do well on Colbert. She takes the Houston ribbing well. Very self-deprecating and good natured.

Well.. I didn't realize we were talking accepting offers to be on the show. That is another matter and obviously one nobody should turn down.

"Acknowledging his visit" to me means having some corny ceremony outside city hall where we say how honored we are that he has chosen our city to visit.

Thats bush league.. something Topeka would do.. That a level the 4th largest city in the country shouldnt stoop to.

That could explain why your attempts at humor on this forum always fall flat. Go hit the comedy central website and get back to us.

Ha! Ha! You're tearing me up too!laugh.gif If the two of you guys team up, we'll never be able to stop laughing!!biggrin.gif

Are we too self-important to give a key to the city to a celebrity, especially one who has his own treadmill named after him on the Space Station?

(And, you are correct, I had not noticed that he was merely visiting NASA, no doubt to do a segment, not an entire show.)

At any rate - should Mayor Parker acknowledge his visit?

I say, without reservation, yes. I have a great deal of confidence in Her Honor's quick wit and sense of humor.

He might have some fun at her expense, but I bet she'll come out looking good - and so will Houston.

I believe you are right. As a large city, we need all the good exposure we can get. I also believe that she has the right personality, and intelligence to play his style to her advantage. I would like to see this live.

The mayor does sorrta have a Kathy Bates as Sabre CEO Joan Bennet (The Office) vibe... I do think she could take on Colbert admirably if she were invited on the show

Still.. I don't believe thats an option since it's just going to be a NASA segment.

Well.. I didn't realize we were talking accepting offers to be on the show. That is another matter and obviously one nobody should turn down.

"Acknowledging his visit" to me means having some corny ceremony outside city hall where we say how honored we are that he has chosen our city to visit.

Thats bush league.. something Topeka would do.. That a level the 4th largest city in the country shouldnt stoop to.

May I further illuminate your fantasy?

We'll pronounce it "Stephan Colbert Day", marked by a ceremony in front of City Hall. Perhaps a parade.

The current Miss Houston (attired in a sequined one-piece bathing suit, with sash, tiara and bouffant hairdo) will present him with a spray-painted gold key to the city. The grateful Mr. Colbert will then declare that "Houston's the best darn city in the good ol' U.S. of A."

You know... that might be fun. In 1955. Back to the future, we should take this opportunity seriously - and comically. We have a chance to shine in the national spotlight.

If we're nice to Mr. Colbert, perhaps he'll be nice to us.

I have never seen him either, but if this is one of his most memorable performances, I will tell you emphatically that he's no Will Rogers.

You're correct. He's Stephen Colbert. It's not derivative comedy, nor is it mere imitation of one of history's greats in the field. His act is unique, bombastic and a product of our times, not Will Roger's times. The style and content reflect that well.

As far as not finding the humor in this particular clip, that's not surprising considering you have no concept of the act prior to viewing the clip, therefore you have no context in which to grasp the jokes - most of which I'd imagine you didn't catch.

Not only do I not find him funny, but he is insulting as well. I was at least watching, until he stated that Bush stood on top of things including, "Rubble". That, in my book is sacrilege.
Why is it sacrilege? There's nothing sacred about George W. Bush or the two wars he got us into. Frankly, there's nothing sacred about 9/11 either. If it were sacred, it wouldn't have been trotted out like a cheap parlor trick during the last presidential campaign every time a Republican felt a need to wow the voters about their commitment to domestic security. It sucks people died, and it sucks even more it impacted you personally, but it still doesn't place Bush above reproach nor make him any less appropriate as the butt of a satirical joke. His eight years in office is either funny as hell or tragic as hell.
I had three business associates who died in the 911 attack, who had wives, and family, and children. They are now, without. NOT funny!

You seem very often to make many attempts at levity yourself, especially when some debates have taken a turn for the ugly. Why is it ok for you to make light of grave situations, but it's not ok for someone whose job it is to make light of grave situations to make light of grave situations? Because it impacted you personally? That's selfish, isn't it?

Edit: Besides, many years ago, Public Enemy told me "9/11 is a joke." Who am I to argue with Chuck D?

Here's a 9/11 joke I just made up. Tell me if it goes too far.

Q: How many 9/11 highjackers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

A: None, they're all dead, and good riddance.

We'll pronounce it "Stephan Colbert Day", marked by a ceremony in front of City Hall. Perhaps a parade.

The current Miss Houston (attired in a sequined one-piece bathing suit, with sash, tiara and bouffant hairdo) will present him with a spray-painted gold key to the city. The grateful Mr. Colbert will then declare that "Houston's the best darn city in the good ol' U.S. of A."

You know... that might be fun. In 1955. Back to the future, we should take this opportunity seriously - and comically. We have a chance to shine in the national spotlight.

The people who do best on Colbert's show are those with a quick wit and an ability to not take themselves too seriously. Getting Annise Parker on the show to formally invite Stephen Colbert to Houston would be a great public relations boost for the city.

For those who think that it's beneath us to acknowledge his visit, remember that when he took his show to Iraq for a week last year, Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, and George H.W. Bush all appeared on the show. (Including Obama ordering General Ray Odierno to give Colbert a buzz cut.)

You're correct. He's Stephen Colbert.

Why is it ok for you to make light of grave situations,

You're right, I'm so stupid... I just realized that you are a satirist as well, but I have to admit, Colbert is funnier than you...sorry.

Present the times that I've made light of a grave situation. You can't.

My comments on Colbert / 911 had nothing to do with defending, or damning George W. Bush. I was talking about a personal tragedy of the people - NOT politics. Let's wait until Colbert delivers a satire on President Obama, and uses the, "N" word, and see how funny you think that is.

I have never seen him either, but if this is one of his most memorable performances, I will tell you emphatically that he's no Will Rogers. Not only do I not find him funny, but he is insulting as well. I was at least watching, until he stated that Bush stood on top of things including, "Rubble". That, in my book is sacrilege. I had three business associates who died in the 911 attack, who had wives, and family, and children. They are now, without. NOT funny!

Just to give you a little history, the Colbert Report started off as a sort of caricature of bombastic political pundit programs, particularly the O'Reilly Factor, who's host Colbert refers to as "Papa Bear". The show often parodies the O'Reilly Factor and it's segments from the previous day (e.g. - instead of the "no spin zone", there's the "no fact zone"). Colbert is a character, but amazingly one that is always turned on. If you're not in on the joke, you're probably not going to understand the brilliance of his character or his show. All of which is fine. Many interviewees unaware of this have been fooled/ensnared by his witty, charming yet clueless character, and the result is absolute hilarity.

I second all of this. I wonder if he's actually going to visit the city or head straight to NASA.

Also, the publicity for Johnson Space Center couldn't come at a better time.

Just to give you a little history, the Colbert Report started off as a sort of caricature of bombastic political pundit programs, particularly the O'Reilly Factor, who's host Colbert refers to as "Papa Bear". The show often parodies the O'Reilly Factor and it's segments from the previous day (e.g. - instead of the "no spin zone", there's the "no fact zone"). Colbert is a character, but amazingly one that is always turned on. If you're not in on the joke, you're probably not going to understand the brilliance of his character or his show. All of which is fine. Many interviewees unaware of this have been fooled/ensnared by his witty, charming yet clueless character, and the result is absolute hilarity.

Thanks Baracuda, Your explanation of the character brings better light to the type of satire that is leveled. I certainly admit to not being, "Up" on Colbert, and others. I suppose out of my ignorance, I was expecting humorous satire as Don Rickles might present. I see now that the characters are different. My neighbor today told me that they watch Colbert all the time, and reiterated how popular his act is. My work interferes with my T.V. viewing, and, I really couldn't name you any current movies either.

Let's wait until Colbert delivers a satire on President Obama, and uses the, "N" word, and see how funny you think that is.

You'll wait a long time. That is not Colbert's character. Watch the show before you comment on his humor. You'll make far fewer mistakes.

Archived