805 Pacific St.

Thomas Mudd

Ok some friends and I were in the Montrose area and I being the historic person wondered what some of the gay clubs use to be and they look to be very old buildings. Mostly would like to know what The Mining Co use to be, I asked a few people and they did not know as they said the club has been there for 30 years, same for JR's. both buildings look like they use to be retail. Can you guys give many insight or place were there maybe some old photos?

I'm not sure how old these buildings are, but in another thread it was determined that a rail line ran through there, from Spur 521 to Washington Ave. There could have been businesses at this location because of the rail proximity, maybe?

In the 70s the place where JR's is was The Emporium, specializing in architectural relics, restoration hardware type stuff, rustic antiques and decor pieces. It was my favorite of all the antique/junk shops in Montrose and I could spend hours there browsing. I still have a couple of small pieces I bought there. They later moved out to Westheimer at Morse, across from Southland Hdwe where they had a large outdoor display area and were still in business up until about 5 years ago? (I'm not absolutely certain of this - The Emporium may have been in a very similar building next door to where JR's is, now demolished). Obviously that building goes back farther than that but I have no idea what it was earlier.

I moved out of the Montrose and didn't get down there very much until about 25 years ago when I had a job in the area; I remember being somewhat surprised by the Mining Co. It was very unfamiliar looking. I tend to think there was a residence on that corner that was either demolished or added onto. That building looks a lot newer.

Regarding mining company...

HCAD says it was built in 1940, quality: "Low" That's for sure, but that's what makes it good.

Building is only worth 57K.

Lot: 130K.

I want to say that I heard it was a meat processing type of business originally?

Not too far off what it is today, actually...

Those are both nice older buildings. About the corner bldg., I've seen several of those long, Spanish tile roof one's in the Montrose area. I would guess that dates to the 1920's-30's.

Reminds me of the bldg. that sits on one side of the Art Supply store on Montrose. Another sits on lower Westheimer, with garage doors out front, it's an antique store.

The larger two story bldg. I would think dates to the early 1900's, from the shape of those windows. But that's just my guess.

Will try to look those up, soon.

Interesting to know it's recent history.

Nice to know there are so many others who wonder like I do.

Sanborn maps from the 1924-1950 category lists the two story bldg. as a store. There was also a smaller store that sat next to it, closer to the corner of Pacific and Grant. The street Converse actually ran down farther, fed into Grant, right before it reached Pacific. Converse St. would have run right through a part of that newer structure on the corner.

The one story bldg. (with the neat corner door entrance) sitting on the opposite corner was originally 2 stores with a connecting wall. The front part facing Grant is listed as a drugstore, the other as a "vend"store, I'm guessing that means vender, or merchandiser. My great-grandmother had a store very similar to that drugstore in her neighborhood in Magnolia Park, had that corner entrance, was an old-style neighborhood convenience store.

More research shows that a streetcar line ran a few blocks away from Pacific St. & Grant St., on Fairview. The line ended in Hyde Park, at the intersection of Dodgeford Ave. (now Mandell) & Fairview(Minnesota). The reference map shows the line running from the end at Dodgeford(Mandell) & Fairview, back down Fairview (Minnesota), crossed Grant, turned down at Ariel (Taft now), to Hawthorne to Roseland to W. Alabama. And that was in 1920.

Here's a link, see the 4th picture, shows a streetcar from the Mandell line.

link: http://members.iglou.com/baron/photos.htm

More research shows that a streetcar line ran a few blocks away from Pacific St. & Grant St., on Fairview. The line ended in Hyde Park, at the intersection of Dodgeford Ave. (now Mandell) & Fairview(Minnesota). The reference map shows the line running from the end at Dodgeford(Mandell) & Fairview, back down Fairview (Minnesota), crossed Grant, turned down at Ariel (Taft now), to Hawthorne to Roseland to W. Alabama. And that was in 1920.

Here's a link, see the 4th picture, shows a streetcar from the Mandell line.

link: http://members.iglou...aron/photos.htm

Thanks for doing the research legwork on this! Fascinating stuff.

I'm remembering another store in that neighborhood in the early 70s which I believe was Pueblo to People which sold crafts from Mexico and Latin America at amazing prices. It was another favorite place, got lots of good stuff there, most of which I lost in a home burglary.

I remember it as a one-story shop but am not sure if it was on Pacific, Hyde Park or Fargo - that neighborhood has changed to much. Could have been right next door to the Emporium.

Here's a NYT's piece I found on Pueblo to People when I was trying to jog my memory.

• 6 years later...
  • The title was changed to Corner Of Pacific St. And Grant St.
  • The title was changed to 805 Pacific St.

Archived