What does douchebag refer to? That is one of those "i know it when I see it but can't put it to words" type of things. Maybe this will help.

http://www.youmightbeadouchebagif.com/

laugh.gif o.k., I got it; new term, same "creature"; back in the day when I was a young man, i.e., before the war, (you pick the war), these people were called, variously, meatheads.......jerks......pimps and more recently, wannabe's.

An illustration to add to your explanation:

1163955324-douchebag.jpg

Arrgghh, I know that guy; he's the one I accidently on purpose spilled a drink on and then accidently on purpose knocked his drink over when he bent down to wipe himself off.

I haven't been to a place that would admit this creature in years.

I have not been to Antique since this thread started because I take such allegations seriously.

As a service to the continued deterioration of your liver and the liver of other drinking HAIF'ers, I'll let y'all in on a little secret; it's not in Midtown; it's downtown on Market Square; and if you go to that particular bar, (you guess the name), that's run by the sister of the founder, (the bar is named for the founder); which said sister also owns a wine bar on Market Square, (too much information-it's a give away now), and you manage to go there during the daytime, 11:30~2:00 when the "regular" bartender is on duty, (she's been out sick quite a bit lately); I can assure you that every drink is, well.......very strong!

As a service to the continued deterioration of your liver and the liver of other drinking HAIF'ers, I'll let y'all in on a little secret; it's not in Midtown; it's downtown on Market Square; and if you go to that particular bar, (you guess the name), that's run by the sister of the founder, (the bar is named for the founder); which said sister also owns a wine bar on Market Square, (too much information-it's a give away now), and you manage to go there during the daytime, 11:30~2:00 when the "regular" bartender is on duty, (she's been out sick quite a bit lately); I can assure you that every drink is, well.......very strong!

Yes I go to Warren's and La Carafe all the time. Warren's is the only place in town that still cards me (I'm 29).

Not Midtown, but here's one tale of Bronx Bar allegedly discriminating: http://blogs.houston...internetexp.php

WOW, that's almost so weird as to be unbelievable; I'd almost go and watch the action from the outside just to see if it's really true!

They'll get their license pulled once TABC get's wind of it.

I've only known of one bar, way north and I won't mention the name because it's changed with new management, that successfully, (sort of) pulled this off. They had perfected a technique where they would "spike" the drink, then do a drag out/beat up in the parking lot and call the cops who would arrest the apparently out of control person that wasn't wanted at the bar. It worked for a while anyway, but as you might imagine, their business fell way off because "sane" people didn't want to be around such behavior. So, the then owner, who made a habit of drinking at his own establishment, watched his business dry up and ended up selling the place back to the guy he'd bought it from at a significant loss.

Moral of the story? The Bar business just isn't for everyone.

The drinks at Anvil are far from being weak. At least none that I have had.

I have to second this emotion. My experience has been that Anvil drinks can knock one on their ass. I guess it depends what you order. I can't say whether they short pour on a vodka tonic because I've never ordered one there. I can say that they make a nice Mint Julep, a solid gin fizz, a proper Manhattan, and Gin and Moscow Mules that will make you see triple. And I also need to disclose that I haven't been much since it became difficult to get a seat. All this to say, when the bar first opened they served mighty drinks the first 15 times I went. I'm sure they will ride out the pitfalls of being discovered by douchebags (it was a matter of time) and eventually return to serving aging hipsters who don't feel like Poison Girl for the night.

I think that drink The Brave is something really special.

Recipe is on this page: http://drinkdogma.co...a-can-of-worms/

I've got to try that. I admit I don't get to Anvil very often even though right now I don't have to pay for drinks there.

(The owner and author of that piece is madly in love with my daughter. It always helps to have a beautiful daughter.)  

:)

Edited by Fringe

I love other old school Houston places like Warren's or Davenport for their strong drinks, but Anvil is like fine dining for liquors. So this is like comparing apples to oranges, right? Whether they are weak or strong, the bartenders are like chefs, they follow their recipes.

If you are true old school liquor connoisseur, this place is fantastic. I have known some of these bartenders and they love what they do. Orangic drink bars is hard work and you have to love to do it. LIke fine dining, you cannot sustain this if you lose quaility. I want more of these places in Houston. A friend of mine from Chicago told me that she wants a bar like this in Chicago, and Chicago has some great night life neighborhoods.

• Like 2