What would make our city 'better'?

Simbha

I think the only road that needs extensive feeders is the beltway.

Be careful with that present tense. There's a big legacy issue to contend with. See, back in the 50's and 60's when the interstate system was initially being planned and constructed, feeder roads were immensely popular among rural property owners whose tracts of land were getting divided up by highway ROWs. State law guarantees access to real property, even if that means that the owner of a neighboring tract has to allocate some of his land as an easement to his neighbor, so it wasn't even just the people along the ROW that were affected, but their neighbors. And for the person whose property was divided up, if there weren't any feeders, it may have been necessary to drive for a long, LONG circuitous ways for that person to transit between one side of his tract and the other. Bear in mind, of course, that interstate crossings are few and far in between in many parts of the state. So there was originally a reasonable problem, and the solution itself was not unreasonable.

So we got feeder roads. Early on. The thing about interstates, though, is that they blur the line between rural and urban environments. That wasn't really understood back then. Feeder roads ended up pulling double duty as the landscape around them transitioned. And since state law still guarantees access, many properties that now count the feeder road as their sole method of access would no doubt just use the state-owned ROW as a means of access even if the feeders were dismantled. And in a vast number of cases, they'd have every right to do so.

So for the most part, we're stuck with feeder roads. Whether you think they look like ass...or whether you don't care about the ugly because you're too busy being a sane and responsible driver to notice it, like me.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. More gunshops

2. Wrestling stadium

3. Less of the undesirables

4. More roosters

3. Licensed red light district

4. Figure 8 derby

5. Relaxation of zoning for singlewides

6. Vigilante patrols

7. Legal cockfights

8. coffee houses with legal strange herbs

9. Less of the undesirables

10. Increased Border Patrol presence

11. Free concrete blocks for restoring vehicles

12. Triple play movie theaters with 50 cents popcorn and drinks

13. Less of the undesirables

14. More feral cats to police the rat population

15. Free one way tickets to Mexico City

1. More gunshops

2. Wrestling stadium

4. More roosters

4. Figure 8 derby

6. Vigilante patrols

7. Legal cockfights

Have my prayers been answered? Vines, is that you? :wub: Come back, T.V.!

[quote name='TheNiche' date='Wednesday, Marc

ok, that didn't work. I think I'm done trying to use HAIF at work until they upgrade us from this farkin fossilized IE 6 dinosaur.

...or whether you don't care about the ugly because you're too busy being a sane and responsible driver to notice it, like me.

hahahahahaha! You're just seeing if we're paying attention, right? We all know you're eating a chili dog and texting. :D

1. More gunshops

2. Wrestling stadium

4. More roosters

4. Figure 8 derby

6. Vigilante patrols

7. Legal cockfights

You forgot public executions.  :rolleyes:

Be careful with that present tense. There's a big legacy issue to contend with. See, back in the 50's and 60's when the interstate system was initially being planned and constructed, feeder roads were immensely popular among rural property owners whose tracts of land were getting divided up by highway ROWs. State law guarantees access to real property, even if that means that the owner of a neighboring tract has to allocate some of his land as an easement to his neighbor, so it wasn't even just the people along the ROW that were affected, but their neighbors. And for the person whose property was divided up, if there weren't any feeders, it may have been necessary to drive for a long, LONG circuitous ways for that person to transit between one side of his tract and the other. Bear in mind, of course, that interstate crossings are few and far in between in many parts of the state. So there was originally a reasonable problem, and the solution itself was not unreasonable.

So we got feeder roads. Early on. The thing about interstates, though, is that they blur the line between rural and urban environments. That wasn't really understood back then. Feeder roads ended up pulling double duty as the landscape around them transitioned. And since state law still guarantees access, many properties that now count the feeder road as their sole method of access would no doubt just use the state-owned ROW as a means of access even if the feeders were dismantled. And in a vast number of cases, they'd have every right to do so.

So for the most part, we're stuck with feeder roads. Whether you think they look like ass...or whether you don't care about the ugly because you're too busy being a sane and responsible driver to notice it, like me.

sounds like someone wants to be in charge of the textbook curriculum

• 2 weeks later...

And where exactly should those residents go?

That's not really my problem. Just like it's not their problem when working middle class families can't afford to live inside of the Loop to be near their jobs (at least where the public schools are all good.)

This was just a suggestion to make Houston better. Take it or leave it.

Sugar Land, the land of milk and honey, where we pride ourselves on not having any housing for the poors.

No one in Sugar Land "prides" themselves on that. This is a free country, people can live where they want and no one should get a free pass just so they can have a Sugar Land address; there's affordable housing in nearby Houston and Rosenberg already.

But hey, if some of you have it out for Sugar Land and want to see it decline like Spring ISD did... fine! I guess you must like sprawl, because that will just encourage it further (families will just flee for Richmond/Fulshear, just as families flee Spring ISD for The Woodlands and Cypress)! As a last resort, people will flee to Austin. If you think this is good for Houston, I don't think you have Houston's interests in mind.

Cities need to be able to attract young, educated, successful, ambitious people and families. Sugar Land and Austin do just that. Maybe Houston could learn something from these cities. (I'm not trying to dog Houston; I love Houston and participate here because I do.)

That's not really my problem. Just like it's not their problem when working middle class families can't afford to live inside of the Loop to be near their jobs (at least where the public schools are all good.)

This was just a suggestion to make Houston better. Take it or leave it.

No one in Sugar Land "prides" themselves on that. This is a free country, people can live where they want and no one should get a free pass just so they can have a Sugar Land address; there's affordable housing in nearby Houston

Not if you have your way and bulldoze it.

But hey, if some of you have it out for Sugar Land and want to see it decline like Spring ISD did... fine! I guess you must like sprawl, because that will just encourage it further (families will just flee for Richmond/Fulshear, just as families flee Spring ISD for The Woodlands and Cypress)!

I didn't realize that singles and childless couples were replacing families in Spring ISD. Why do you think that is? <_<

As a last resort, people will flee to Austin. If you think this is good for Houston, I don't think you have Houston's interests in mind.

Cities need to be able to attract young, educated, successful, ambitious people and families. Sugar Land and Austin do just that. Maybe Houston could learn something from these cities. (I'm not trying to dog Houston; I love Houston and participate here because I do.)

Our vast base of impoverished residents is an amenity. Cheap labor increases the purchasing power of those who have means, thereby enticing affluent people and their employers to locate here.

Also, poor people seem to remember what good food is supposed to taste like.

Why not build on something that's honestly Houston like Houston's musical heritage? Think about it, Lightnin' Hopkins was associated with Houston, the zydeco beats you hear at Jax Grill on Friday nights had their roots in the Frenchtown section of Fifth Ward, and Fifth Ward was once the home of Don Robey's Peacock Record Label. You can say we've got House of Blues, but that's faux dive. We've got the authentic Eldorado Ballroom on Dowling. It's really amazing that such a historic structure is still standing in Houston and is still being used. While it would be nothing like Beale St., maybe something can be done to Dowling St. to a similar tune?

Why not build on something that's honestly Houston like Houston's musical heritage? Think about it, Lightnin' Hopkins was associated with Houston, the zydeco beats you hear at Jax Grill on Friday nights had their roots in the Frenchtown section of Fifth Ward, and Fifth Ward was once the home of Don Robey's Peacock Record Label. You can say we've got House of Blues, but that's faux dive.

There was this planned, but not sure what the status is right now...

http://www.yesmamh.org/

http://www.houstonpr...thank-you-mamh/

Archived