What's Up With The Post Office

trymahjong

I always read about how time spent in lines translates into days of life wasted --never really bought into it but this morning i stood in line 54 minutes at Post office on Gray---even the line for the automatic weigh machine to guage postage had 7 people in it--

I wouldn't have timed it but last week I stood in line at Post office on Richmond over 30 minutes because no one would come to the door with the buzzer you go to if you want to pick up package--

What's up with only one or two tellers at these post offices during the second week of christmas?

I always read about how time spent in lines translates into days of life wasted --never really bought into it but this morning i stood in line 54 minutes at Post office on Gray---even the line for the automatic weigh machine to guage postage had 7 people in it--

I wouldn't have timed it but last week I stood in line at Post office on Richmond over 30 minutes because no one would come to the door with the buzzer you go to if you want to pick up package--

What's up with only one or two tellers at these post offices during the second week of christmas?

I waited 20 minutes in line today at the Richmond Ave location to pick up a package.

I also rang the buzzer at the door... but they do have a sign on it posting its very limited hours... I noticed it after about 15 seconds so i then got in line.

What pissed me off was the guy that came in about 5 minutes later.... buzzed numerous times.. and finally complained out loud to one of the two tellers behind the counter. Did the teller tell him to go get in line since the buzzer door was not currently open for business? No. She stopped servicing the line to go get his package.

Jackass customer cut in front of at least 10 people.. and jackass teller helped him do it. Numerous other people in line including myself were there just to pick up packages.

I waited 20 minutes in line today at the Richmond Ave location to pick up a package.

I also rang the buzzer at the door... but they do have a sign on it posting its very limited hours... I noticed it after about 15 seconds so i then got in line.

What pissed me off was the guy that came in about 5 minutes later.... buzzed numerous times.. and finally complained out loud to one of the two tellers behind the counter. Did the teller tell him to go get in line since the buzzer door was not currently open for business? No. She stopped servicing the line to go get his package.

Jackass customer cut in front of at least 10 people.. and jackass teller helped him do it. Numerous other people in line including myself were there just to pick up packages.

I shopped online...with wrapping and shipping included...by a warm fire...with cat purring next to me.

Guess you both missed the part where i was going to pick up a package that the mailman didnt or couldn't deliver to my mailbox.

Guess i should have said to myself "Screw it, post offices are for old people and those that don't know how to shop online... I'll just let them keep whatever package it was that they couldn't deliver to me"... Silly me.

One of the implications of the informal monopoly granted to the USPS as a consequence of the universal service obligation was that they get to act like a monopolist. And that means that the traditional business model was tolerant of long lines and treating their customers like crap because the customers weren't supposed to have any competitive alternative.

Fortunately, the world has moved beyond the USPS (at least, in urbanized areas). Unfortunately, the USPS culture is resistant to change.

that means that the traditional business model was tolerant of long lines and treating their customers like crap because the customers weren't supposed to have any competitive alternative.

Like competition improves customer service.. psshh !

...Montrose Einstein Bros... need I say more?

Niche.. Porchman.. Trymahjong.. go fill out your Haif Bowl forms. Will take you 30 seconds.

Guess you both missed the part where i was going to pick up a package that the mailman didnt or couldn't deliver to my mailbox.

Guess i should have said to myself "Screw it, post offices are for old people and those that don't know how to shop online... I'll just let them keep whatever package it was that they couldn't deliver to me"... Silly me.

I did miss that you were picking up. I often scan. (I also shop online smile.gif ).

Next time I have a package to pick up, I'll invite you to join me at TC House. It's like that all year round. I brace myself for the adventure and take a magazine.

Edit: Have you suggested that people send to your office? That's what I do.

Very well. Because you asked. I voted on the basis of which cities I'd rather live (or state, to the extent that I didn't know where these colleges were).

Thank you. And yours is a perfectly reasonable strategy, may I add. I wasted 30 minutes jotting down records, the spread, and even looked at bowl location distances from the campuses... and I will no doubt finish middle of the pack like last year.

I waited 25 minutes and I was the only one in line because my friendly Postal worker wanted to allow her customer to finish her very long and engaging story that she had started telling me but after being called to the window, began again to tell the postal worker and then afterwards came back to me to compliment me on being such a good listener.

I would guess that the post office doesn't staff up for Christmas, which is of course the busiest season. I assume it wouldn't make financial sense to hire and train temps for such a short peak period. I learned this while working at a bank: the goal isn't to minimize customer waiting time, it is to maximize the efficiency of the counter people. In other words, given the normal ebb and flow of customers, if there are extended or frequent periods when service people aren't busy, then the idea is to reduce the staff so the remaining will be more efficient, in other words lengthen the queue. In normal periods the increased wait is tolerable, but at Christmas it is easy to see how the queue will get maddeningly long.

One of the implications of the informal monopoly granted to the USPS as a consequence of the universal service obligation was that they get to act like a monopolist. And that means that the traditional business model was tolerant of long lines and treating their customers like crap because the customers weren't supposed to have any competitive alternative.

Fortunately, the world has moved beyond the USPS (at least, in urbanized areas). Unfortunately, the USPS culture is resistant to change.

Yes, in many respects the USPS isn't a monopoly. Folks shipping and ordering packages have free-market choices in UPS, FedEx, and others. It's more likely that the USPS is a victim of it's own success due to a popular flat rate pricing promotion during the holidays. It also might be a case of customers failing to realize they have other shipping choices, as well as the option to buy online stamps and drop letters in a mailbox, sans line.

What is a consequence of the USPS's government monopoly power is the tepid response to recurring multibillion dollar losses. A public company would have encountered leadership changes or even shareholder revolts if in a similar financial situation.

Very well. Because you asked. I voted on the basis of which cities I'd rather live (or state, to the extent that I didn't know where these colleges were).

Thank you. And yours is a perfectly reasonable strategy, may I add. I wasted 30 minutes jotting down records, the spread, and even looked at bowl location distances from the campuses... and I will no doubt finish middle of the pack like last year.

I threw chicken bones on the ground and had a !Kung shaman of the Kalahari divine my picks for me based on where the bones fell.

It doesn't matter if they are a monopoly or not. They are supported by the government therefore they do not need customers as badly as UPS and FedEx. When you go into a post office you are a nuisance, not a customer.

The Postal Service is run off their fees now and hasn't received government money since the early 80s.

The Postal Service is run off their fees now and hasn't received government money since the early 80s.

Way to quell that anti-Obama tirade before it gained any traction.

The post office still works best for small mailers - letters, postcards and the like. This is why it still exists. This, and to keep philatelists occupied.

I had my annual tiff with the post office last week.

Normally I buy stamps at the ATM or Walgreen's, but only the post office carries the Christmas stamps. So after waiting in line (not too long this time) I asked for three books of "Christmas stamps." Right next to the service counter is a big USPS poster with four stamps pictured on it. One labeled "Eid" the second "Christmas" the third "Winter Holiday" and the fourth "Hannukah." The post office lady responds to my "Christmas stamps" request with "Which ones?" I tell her, "The Christmas ones." She responds, "The mom and baby?" I reply, "The Christmas stamps." Back comes, "Mom and baby?" I reply, "The Christmas stamps." For a third time she says, "Mom and baby?" and for a third time I counter "Christmas stamps." She goes off and brings back the wrong stamps. I tell her, "Those are 'Winter Holiday.' I asked for the stamps that are clearly labeled 'Christmas' on your poster." She trudges off and comes back with the correct ones and says, "Mom and baby stamps." I tell her, "I don't celebrate 'Mom and Baby Day,' I celebrate Christmas." She rings me up and I walk away.

Through the entire exchange her tone indicates that she's trying to make a point to me. I am trying to make a point to her, too. And fortunately, I have the official USPS poster on my side. They are clearly "Christmas" stamps.

I've gone through this every year at this same post office with this same woman for the last four years, so at least I know what I'm in for when I go down there.

This is what happens when people aren't afraid of losing their jobs.

They are still supported by the government. It's federal agency that was created with a large capital infusion from taxpayer dollars.

Yes, we know, but you were saying they don't need customers. Clearly they do. Their current operations are funded by postage and fees from their customers. If you don't like their service, use a different service. I use the postal service all the time and haven't been to a post office in probably 5 or more years.

Way to quell that anti-Obama tirade before it gained any traction.

What, you mean because he's black and the chatterboxes at the post office also tend to be...oh, wait, never mind. ^_^ You were talking finances.

For those interested in a brief history of the ever-imperfect USPS monopoly, they provide a decent one here. It doesn't touch on the side effects such as we've been discussing, but is still an interesting read if you're an economics or politics buff.

They are still supported by the government. It's federal agency that was created with a large capital infusion from taxpayer dollars.

I looked it up, and I'm surprised how LITTLE money the Postal Service gets from congress. The 2009 request was $117.7 million (source). I would have thought it would be a lot more than that.

The Postal Service will eventually be 100% privatized. It's been inching its way in that direction since 1978 when it stopped being the United States Post Office and because the Postal Service.

In many legal ways it's already considered a private entity. For example, stamp artwork used to be (before 1978) public domain because it was considered a federal government creation. Now it's copyrighted by the Postal Service.

What, you mean because he's black and the chatterboxes at the post office also tend to be...oh, wait, never mind. happy.gif You were talking finances.

And, I'm sure Ed's story also meant to include a mention of the Ramadan stamp (new this year!).

For those interested in a brief history of the ever-imperfect USPS monopoly, they provide a decent one here. It doesn't touch on the side effects such as we've been discussing, but is still an interesting read if you're an economics or politics buff.

Too many words. Head hurt now.

I live in a semi rural community in Galveston County (Santa Fe). Both my wife and I work so we never were able to visit our local post office. One day, after several years (20+) I found myself at home on a day off and decided to go to the post office to get stamps or something. It was in the middle of the day and guess what? "Closed for lunch". I have still never set foot into my communty post office, because it is never open when I am available. The posted hours are 8:30AM-4:30PM and closed for lunch between 12:00PM-1:00PM. Is this ridiculous or what?

I live in a semi rural community in Galveston County (Santa Fe). Both my wife and I work so we never were able to visit our local post office. One day, after several years (20+) I found myself at home on a day off and decided to go to the post office to get stamps or something. It was in the middle of the day and guess what? "Closed for lunch". I have still never set foot into my communty post office, because it is never open when I am available. The posted hours are 8:30AM-4:30PM and closed for lunch between 12:00PM-1:00PM. Is this ridiculous or what?

To be fair, it's Santa Fe. When the "big" city is Alvin, you kinda have to take the small town mentality for what it's worth.

I had my annual tiff with the post office last week.

Normally I buy stamps at the ATM or Walgreen's, but only the post office carries the Christmas stamps. So after waiting in line (not too long this time) I asked for three books of "Christmas stamps." Right next to the service counter is a big USPS poster with four stamps pictured on it. One labeled "Eid" the second "Christmas" the third "Winter Holiday" and the fourth "Hannukah." The post office lady responds to my "Christmas stamps" request with "Which ones?" I tell her, "The Christmas ones." She responds, "The mom and baby?" I reply, "The Christmas stamps." Back comes, "Mom and baby?" I reply, "The Christmas stamps." For a third time she says, "Mom and baby?" and for a third time I counter "Christmas stamps." She goes off and brings back the wrong stamps. I tell her, "Those are 'Winter Holiday.' I asked for the stamps that are clearly labeled 'Christmas' on your poster." She trudges off and comes back with the correct ones and says, "Mom and baby stamps." I tell her, "I don't celebrate 'Mom and Baby Day,' I celebrate Christmas." She rings me up and I walk away.

Through the entire exchange her tone indicates that she's trying to make a point to me. I am trying to make a point to her, too. And fortunately, I have the official USPS poster on my side. They are clearly "Christmas" stamps.

I've gone through this every year at this same post office with this same woman for the last four years, so at least I know what I'm in for when I go down there.

This is what happens when people aren't afraid of losing their jobs.

At least we now know why the lines are so long at Christmas time.

Archived