Bowl Game Pick Em Challenge

Highway6

BowlGamePickem09-10copy.jpg

Sponsored by HAIF

It's time to fill out your entry form for this year's Bowl Game Challenge.

Test your College football knowledge, or luck, up against your fellow Haifers.

Rules:

• First Bowl game will be Saturday the 19th. Contest will be accepting ballots up until midnight, Thursday 17th.
  • One ballot per person.
    • If a user has multiple ballots ( due to changing some of your picks ), only the most recent ballot will be included.

[*]I'll post the link to share everyone's picks and to follow along with the scoring that Friday.[*]Contest is based on Points ( 200 total ), Bowl games are ranked as follows

• Championship game - 15 pnts
    • Other BCS games - 10 pnts
    • All others - 3 - 8 pnts, based on date and bowl pedigree/importance
  • There is a tiebreaker question, if needed.
  • Winner gets HAIF:book, a $75 value, generously donated by Editor. (Thank you Editor)

Notes:

Due to obscenely stupid scheduling, The EagleBank Bowl's participants will not be finalized until after this upcoming weekend's Army/Navy game.

I have put both Game possibilities ( Army v Temple or UCLA v Temple ) in the ballot. Just think of it as two separate games, and I'll throw out the bogus one next week.

Also... be sure to let this thread know when you've filled out your form. The more active this thread and the more apparent it is that people are signing up, the more people will continue to sign up. We had 14 people last year.. We can top that easily.

I think I've watched maybe two college games this year, and all I know about the teams this year are things I've gleaned from hearsay, so if I finish in any place higher than last, some of you other guys have some serious 'splaining to do.

Nope, I just like a good underdog story.

Alabama's resume is clearly worthy of a shot at the BCS Title game. They beat several heavy weights like Virginia Tech, Florida, LSU, Ole Miss, Auburn, and Tennessee.

Texas' resume isn't so great. The Big 12 was down this year. Heck, the second best team in the conference, Oklahoma State, lost to Houston in Stillwater. Houston also knocked off Tech. Yet, the Coogs, who I love, lost THREE CUSA games! Even Nebraska, who the Horns were LUCKY to beat, lost at home to Tech and Iowa-friggin'-State! Also, the Horns should be punished for their out of conference games. Louisiana at Monroe? Wyoming? Central Florida? Texas at El Paso? STEP IT UP, Horns!

Meanwhile, TCU beat BYU and Utah in conference play. Both are top 25 teams. They also went on the road and beat two ACC teams, including one of the divisional winners in the ACC (Clemson).

Cincy beat Oregon State, which was playing for the Rose Bowl last week. They also beat a decent Fresno State team in out of conference play. Additionally, with West Virginia, Pitt, Rutgers, South Florida, and UConn in the conference, you could argue that the Big East was just as tough as the Big 12 without nearly as many gimme games (Baylor, ATM, Colorado, K State, Iowa State, etc...)

We have 5 entries so far... let's keep them coming.

As much as I feel TCU's pain.. I do think they deserve a shot. I think the same can be said for Cincinnati and Texas. I don't see any of their resumes as standing that far above the other two.

This would be the perfect season for the +1.

#1 Alabama vs #4 TCU winner vs. #2 Texas vs #3 Cinci winner.

I see this not as an issue of conference reputation, but school reputation, helping decide the top 2.

I think that TCU, Boise State, Utah, BYU.. all these smaller schools that have played well the past few seasons, are doing what they need to do - consistently play well, build reputations, and position themselves higher in the starting rankings each successive year. It takes a few years of success in a row to properly position yourself to be able to take advantage of your wins.

Teams like Texas, Alabama, Florida.. they aren't starting off high in the season rankings because of their conference. They start out high because success builds from year to year.

There are plenty of big name programs, in big conferences.... Michigan, Florida St, my Aggies, etc.. that will start next season outside the top25, deservedly so, and even if they go undefeated, won't finish in the BCS top 2.

TCU, BS, Utah, BYU... all have a head start because of recent successes and next season will have a better chance of reaching the Championship game than the vast majority of schools from the Big 6 conferences.

Even a team like Oklahoma, who was in last year's Championship game, is currently out of the top 25 in every poll that counts. It seems they'll be starting so low in the polls next year, that even if they go undefeated, they certainly won't get the nod over other undefeated teams to finish in the top 2. OU, last's years runner-up, has virtually no chance of playing for the championship next year because of their average 7-5 season this year.

Maybe all this isn't fair.. but its not easy fitting 116 teams into 2 slots.

Just think... Had Colt waited an extra half second to throw that ball.... Cincinnati would be in the Championship Game vs Alabama..

But he didn't... and Cincinnati isn't... And as of this evening, Cincinnati is looking at playing Florida in the Sugar Bowl either under an interim coach or under a coach that will be ditching them for ND right after the game.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=4732205

Let's see, Wyoming and Central FLorida are both in Bowl games this year. Who do you propose they play ? La. @ Monroe is so that little school can get some money to them. I don't think they are ont he schedule for next year. I do see your point., just don't agree with it. My team is So.Miss BTW, just so you know.

Chamo . AtticaFlinch . lockmat . KinkaidAlum . tjones . 20thStDad . elecpharm

brijonmang . texastrill . Highway6 . N_Judah . RedScare . TheNiche . trymahjong....... Have all signed up for the HAIF Bowl.

Why havent you?

Two more days to sign up

Fun Haif Bowl Fact: After 14 entries, we still have 2 teams that have yet to receive a single vote.

The picks are in and the Score Tracker is up and running.

I've posted a jpg of everyones picks in case anyone wants to print it off to keep score at home. It can be found here.

Good luck everyone.

Interesting tidbits -

Nobody picked Mich St to beat Texas Tech.

Nobody picked N. Illinois to beat South Florida.

We have 1 game where it's one brave soul vs everyone else.

We had 7 games where it's two brave souls vs everyone else.

We were pretty much split down the middle on the Championship Game.

Highway...I guess this is manually updated by yourself, correct?

It requires me to tell it who won... but all the scoring and ranking is automatic from there.

I tried seeing if there was a way to use the GoogleLookup function to automatically find the winner.. but no luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda hard to follow and talk college football when everyone is out celebrating Christmas with the family. I've only caught one game so far myself.

Also.. Love the scheduling... Aggie Bowl will be well into the 2nd half by the time I get home from work. One damn bowl game on today and you can't schedule it during prime time, ESPN ? Some of us don't care about MNF.... Thanks asshats !!

Anyways.. Here's where we stand after almost 1/3 of the games. .... Click here for the full Scoreboard.

gallery_1072_87_2476.jpg

I've learned that pink is not for warm fuzzy baby girls, but rather loserville. I hope things get better for me.

Also, I don't understand that tie. I don't remember doing that, can you explain?

It's still early... First and last place doesnt matter so much right now when we've only been playing 3 and 4 point games.

Still... I can change it to yellow or orange or something if you prefer.

Tie

You filled out what you thought the combined score would be for the Championship game between Bama and t.u. ...That's the tiebreaker.

If.. Big if, It never happens.. If we finish with two people in first place after all the games are over... Who ever get's closest to the Actual score wins.

There is one thing to establish here... It's not Price is Right rules.. It's not closest without going over.

Example... If You and I finish tied for first place... I predicted 68 combined points, You predicted 30, so 49 points would be the magic number.

Final score of 27-21 or less would get you the win. Final score of 29-21 or more would get me the win. Final score of 28-21 would lead to a tie of the tiebreakers and Armageddon.... Let's just hope it doesn't go that far.

EDIT:

I assumed it is not supposed to be "Price is Right" rules...

If the majority here based their TieBreaker score on the assumption that it was the "Closest to the Combined Score without going over" ... We can change it to that.

I apologize for not spelling that out..

It just hardly ever requires a tiebreaker, ya know.

Not that it will matter in our little contest since we all picked Tech to win over Michigan St....... But head pirate, Leach, has been suspended and won't coach during the Alamo Bowl

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=4776848

Sports announcers at the Aggie game are discussing rumors that Leach possible will not be back as Tech's coach next season because of the above incident concerning mistreatment of a player.

Archived