Top ten stolen vehicles in Houston - October, 2009

editor

The following is a rundown of the “Top 10” makes of vehicles stolen during the month of October 2009.

1. Chevrolet Trucks 154

2. Honda Cars 141

3. Ford Truck 134

4. Dodge Trucks 85

5. Toyota Cars 49

6. Chevrolet Cars 45

6. GMC Trucks 45

7. Dodge Cars 38

8. Ford Cars 34

9. Acura Cars 26

9. Buick Cars 26

10. Chrysler Cars 19

Source: Houston Police Department

That is the most generic Top 10 list ever! Outside of Acura (ummm, which Acura cars?), they might as well say "makes that sell the best are stolen most." OK, thanks.

The number of Honda cars is surprising though. They outnumber Toyota by almost 3 to 1 even though Toyota sells more cars in the U.S.

Honda parts must be easier to sell on the black market or command a higher price. Could the "tuner" culture have anything to so with this? Hondas are much more popular "tuner" cars.

Edit: I'm not implying that the tuner culture is stealing cars. Tuners may create a larger market for parts which would indirectly cause more cars to be stolen.

The number of Honda cars is surprising though. They outnumber Toyota by almost 3 to 1 even though Toyota sells more cars in the U.S.

Honda parts must be easier to sell on the black market or command a higher price. Could the "tuner" culture have anything to so with this? Hondas are much more popular "tuner" cars.

Edit: I'm not implying that the tuner culture is stealing cars. Tuners may create a larger market for parts which would indirectly cause more cars to be stolen.

I believe it's because Honda/Acura parts are largely interchangeable, making them more valuable for thieves who strip vehicles and resell the parts. At least that's what I read somewhere awhile back. The last Honda I owned seemed to have VIN numbers on every part, but apparently that's not enough to deter theft.

At the Positive Interaction Police Program (PIP) where car thefts stats are given every month-- the Capt always makes a big deal of telling that in Texas 1 out of 5 cars that are stolen have the keys inside-----I wonder how that statistic jibes with the "top 10 cars stolen?"

At the Positive Interaction Police Program (PIP) where car thefts stats are given every month-- the Capt always makes a big deal of telling that in Texas 1 out of 5 cars that are stolen have the keys inside-----I wonder how that statistic jibes with the "top 10 cars stolen?"

I'm sure roughly 20% of the cars on that list had keys in them, or were otherwise unlocked.

Note that the year model of the vehicles is not listed. A large number of these vehicles are likely older. Older models of GM, Honda, Ford and Dodge Chrysler vehicles were notoriously easy to steal. It only took a screwdriver to defeat the ignition. Note that of the 11 makes on that list, only the 49 Toyotas are not among that group. The good news however, is that the top 10 only adds up to 796 vehicles. Back in the 80s and early 90s, there would be 2000 or more auto thefts per month. The numbers are significantly lower in 2008 and 2009.

I'm sure roughly 20% of the cars on that list had keys in them, or were otherwise unlocked.

Note that the year model of the vehicles is not listed. A large number of these vehicles are likely older. Older models of GM, Honda, Ford and Dodge Chrysler vehicles were notoriously easy to steal. It only took a screwdriver to defeat the ignition. Note that of the 11 makes on that list, only the 49 Toyotas are not among that group. The good news however, is that the top 10 only adds up to 796 vehicles. Back in the 80s and early 90s, there would be 2000 or more auto thefts per month. The numbers are significantly lower in 2008 and 2009.

Odd. Doesn't crime historically tend to increase during economic lean years?

Instead of crushing all of the clunkers, the govt should have doled them out. Left the keys in them for the car thieves. Since times are lean, this would have helped the car thief economy. Hell, we would have gotten rid of them since many would have ended up in Mexico anyhow. It would have helped the balance of trade numbers.

Well, it is one of those things that is generally accepted to be true, but there are virtually no studies of the phenomenon. There is anecdotal evidence that crime increases, and the economy is often blamed for increases without study of the issue, but no one really knows for sure.

Auto theft can be affected far more by the types of vehicles that are stolen. If the popular vehicles are made harder to steal, it will drive down rates, at least temporarily. That could be what's happening here, but again, there are not too many studies out there, at least published ones.

Archived