Need info - Warehouse Live

Hello everyone - I need some info from you guys. Jackopierce http://www.jackopierce.com/ is playing in Houston this Thursday night at the Studio at Warehouse LIve. Dh and I enjoyed them back in our college days and saw them a few times in the mid 90's in College Station. Anyway, I've been checking for a stop in Houston for quite awhile. They are coming this Thursday and we'd like to go. My question is about the venue. I am 4 months pregnant so I don't want to be in a smoky enclosed bar type place. What is this place like? Is there smoking allowed inside? We usually go to 1-2 concerts a year, but typically at the Woodlands for big draw shows. Anyway, we would be going to the early show if this makes any difference.. Opinions and any info you can share is greatly appreciated!

Smoking is banned in all Houston venues (bars, concert halls, restaurants), so you should be fine. Maybe check out Lucky's Pub next door if you're free before or after. The cheesesteak eggrolls are delicious. Be very very careful where you park if you park on the street. The parking ticket cops are ruthless in this area, even late at night.

Thanks for your help everyone. Unfortuantely, we just found out that family member that was to stay with our kids has an unavoidable conflict so we aren't going. We'll just have to catch them again.

I'm curious though - how is it as a concert venue? I've read some very mixed reviews online - esp. about sound quality. Do you enjoy shows there? It will be good to know for future reference. Thanks!

The Warehouse has the potential to be one of the best venues in town. I'm not sure if they got a new booker or what , but they seem to have improved their bookings in the last year.

Every band I 've seen there has sounded at least OK and some have sounded absolutely great. MUCH MUCH better than the crappy sound at the House of Blues, which has the worst sound and the worst crowds in Houston.

The Warehouse has the potential to be one of the best venues in town. I'm not sure if they got a new booker or what , but they seem to have improved their bookings in the last year.

Every band I 've seen there has sounded at least OK and some have sounded absolutely great. MUCH MUCH better than the crappy sound at the House of Blues, which has the worst sound and the worst crowds in Houston.

I don't know man, the Thievery Corporation and crowd at House of Blues was incredible.

I saw a show there with my wife, who was 8 1/2 months pregnant at the time, and she was more interested in the music than just about everyone else there. People stood around and BSed with each other and actively had their backs to the band. It was a see-and-be-seen crowd, and if what you're saying helps this form a general pattern, then apparently this is the crowd HOB attracts for most shows. I did think the acoustics were good though.

Nothing beats seeing shows in more intimate settings though. Rudyards and the Continental are great places for stuff like that.

I have only been to Warehouse Live a couple of times and I don't remember the sounds being that great. It was also more than a year ago so maybe things have changed. I agree about smaller venues, though! And Friday the Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac cover band will be at Continental Club - should be fun!

I saw X at Warehouse Live last year. I'm probably not the best judge of sound quality there since I was standing in front of Billy Zoom's amp for almost the entire show - it took until the next day before my ears had recovered from that sonic assault. They hadn't lost a step since I'd seen them at Numbers almost 25 years earlier.

That show and Roky Erickson at the Continental Club earlier this year were two of the best shows I've ever seen, and reminded me that I really should make an effort to get out and see live music in clubs more frequently. I'm pretty much over arena/stadium shows with very few exceptions; went to U2 at Reliant and enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I'd have gone if my wife hadn't really wanted to since she'd never seen them live before.

I saw X at Warehouse Live last year. I'm probably not the best judge of sound quality there since I was standing in front of Billy Zoom's amp for almost the entire show - it took until the next day before my ears had recovered from that sonic assault.

What a great show. We must have been right next to each other.

A word of advice: Earplugs. I can't begin to imagine how you handled the X show without them. Your hearing doesn't recover...I've found out the hard way sad.gif

Archived