The death of Geocities

Today Geocities was shut down permanently. It marks the end of an era, when someone could make a website on the great Internet for free and be a small-time celebrity. I never had a Geocities website, but there were some I enjoyed. What about you? Have any thoughts to share?

Today Geocities was shut down permanently. It marks the end of an era, when someone could make a website on the great Internet for free and be a small-time celebrity. I never had a Geocities website, but there were some I enjoyed. What about you? Have any thoughts to share?

Wayback Machine is archiving the most memorable ones.

Of course, the hamster dance will always be the most famous.

Wow, I had a website on Geocities way back in 1996 that I later removed in 1998 (it was a movie fan site, took it down when the era was over). I was 14 and had just gotten online. Ahh memories, sad this site is gone, but things change. I'm trying to remember what were some of the other sites like Geocities back in the day...

Wow, I had a website on Geocities way back in 1996 that I later removed in 1998 (it was a movie fan site, took it down when the era was over). I was 14 and had just gotten online. Ahh memories, sad this site is gone, but things change. I'm trying to remember what were some of the other sites like Geocities back in the day...

I think altavista had something like that... there was another one... I remember now...

ANGELFIRE!

Don't forget Tripod.

Good ol' Tripod...I'm pretty sure I've had an account with them since '96 or '97. I've only logged in probably twice in the past 8 years but my account is still active somehow. You don't seem to hear much about Lycos anymore, either...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived