North Main

citykid09

How about North Main Street. Then give it a TIRZ. Then get some arrogant board members who want to impose their mark on it with new street signs. Then they can copy New York by giving it a trendy name.

I suggest No MaS.

Funny name, Redscare. Do I sense a little anti-gentrification sarcasm? I think it already was given a TIRZ, the Hardy St TIRZ I think it is called, which I read in the last Bill White TIRZ piece that it was probably going to be scrapped. I haven't heard anything about the Hardy Yard project either so it could be it's run into some snags too.

I know, it does seem very arrogant for us to sit here and speculate over cyber-coffee what we will name this area, as if the current residents will just be sent off to relocation camps somewhere when the time is right.

Are we getting off topic by discussing gentrification? I think it's really what the topic is about. People got upset about 4th Ward but it had been abandoned long ago and left in the hands of drug dealers so who's to blame there? North Main is not in much better shape so what should we do, just leave it alone as some kind of National Geographic homage to the days of rundown inner city blight?

I found this recent article in the LA Times about opposition to developers displacing skid-row residents. They are suggesting building a "new skid row" (my term, but it's people who create slums, not buildings) somewhere to the east in their Warehouse District. Is this the future of big cities?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First things first..."The Northside" needs a new name..."North Main District"

Ok, now we can make it better! The location is amazing!

How about something new instead of "main" that is too generic. Think of something new like Texas Highlands, or Halifax Ave, or North Central Blvd, or Metropolis North Parkway.

Just a bit of sarcasm, danax. :P

However, my sarcasm should not be interpereted as not wanting North Main to be re-vitalized. I am hesitant to say "gentrification". It is getting a bad rap lately. Code for "run off the current low income residents so trendy yuppies can move in".

Like the East Side, Northside has some wonderful streets and homes. Like the Eastside, Northside has some great neighbors. Like the Eastside, Northside has some thugs and slums. I would love to see this area energized without running off the vibrant nature that it has with its current residents. Is this possible? I don't know. But, a repaved Main Street with a rail line up it would give the Northside access to downtown's workers, encouraging restaurants and other shops that serve these workers. I guarantee many downtowners would make the trip to eat at authentic Mexican restaurants.

I'm not sure what's up with the Hardy yards. Certainly, that would spark some gentrification nearby. Maybe they are having trouble getting permits for their "Eiffel Tower". Bill O'Reilly may be boycotting it. :lol:

As an actual home owner on N. Main [hence my name], my neighbors and I are quite content with the Northside moniker. We would be even more content if the city would just clean up our ditches, repair our sidewalks [so the little ones walking to school don't have to actually walk ON portions of N. Main], change the burnt out street lights in a timely manner and a couple of more parks wouldn't hurt either.

B)

As an actual home owner on N. Main [hence my name], my neighbors and I are quite content with the Northside moniker. We would be even more content if the city would just clean up our ditches, repair our sidewalks [so the little ones walking to school don't have to actually walk ON portions of N. Main], change the burnt out street lights in a timely manner and a couple of more parks wouldn't hurt either.

B)

Rest assured, your hood is not the only area of town in need of repairs. It's all part of the Houston quality of life. Heaven forbid we improve on it. Enjoy those burned out street lights.

Rest assured, your hood is not the only area of town in need of repairs. It's all part of the Houston quality of life. Heaven forbid we improve on it. Enjoy those burned out street lights.

I hear you, on that one.

Don't you wish we all just lived in River Oaks?

B)

um, yeah, I know.

Oh Boy, THAT is ripe!

Oh, maybe another city invented inside sports. Hmmm..... could it be Atlanta or Minneapolis? Nah, they just grabbed the idea of a rather small city at the time HOUSTON. In the 60s, there were quite a few visions made realities in Houston. Not so much lately, but this city has definitely changed sports. But, think about it, other cities ARE copying Houston. Look at urban sprawl. You just run out of space and it happens. Welcome to the 21st century. :huh:

South Main is where you want to go. After all, that is where the whores are.

I have been to that area at night after one of the Los Magnificos Car show about 3 years ago, and there are alot of hoes on that end.

But its also an ugly street. Its just junk all along it. then as you go farther south it turns in to a little freeway, I say who ever thought of that Idea was stupid. They should have kept it as a street and fill it with high dense retail residential. I know thats a long a** street but it would have been much better than what they are doing to it. I mean thats main street, one of Houston "main" roads and you see junk yards and all kinds of crap along it.

• 1 month later...
OK, here's more good news. Work is indeed progressing on Hardy Yards. Here's a few pics.

Nice Downtown views, huh?

It's one of the primest (most prime?) and most visible chunks of available earth inside 610. The potential "straw that stirs the drink" in that sector. The freeway is the main snag.

Hopefully it becomes a showpiece, not a disappointment or future eyesore.

From what I read in the latest Business Journal was that an Austin Based Company bought the land - either its bad journalism or the company has no idea what it wants to do there.

"....the potential for mid-rise or high-rise development is there..."

"....I dont think retail will work or be an option...."

The article is misleading at best - and the way the two quotes make it seem that they'd rather do a community of single family homes? They dont think retail is an option and the idea for a mid or high rise or multiple ones lends itself well with retail on the ground levels - so what it sounds like is the company wants to build either townhomes or homes? I think eitherway the HBJ turned out a confusing and poorly worded (in places) article.

It did state that the TIRZ process and environmental remediation were keeping the original developers from doing anything - they got tired of playing the political games. I think a development with a large mixture of retail would do wonders for the area and the large site would open up possible spots for grocers ect... to serve downtown - throw in a soccer stadium or two and a couple high rises and several midrises and bingo development.

From what I read in the latest Business Journal was that an Austin Based Company bought the land - either its bad journalism or the company has no idea what it wants to do there.

"....the potential for mid-rise or high-rise development is there..."

"....I dont think retail will work or be an option...."

The article is misleading at best - and the way the two quotes make it seem that they'd rather do a community of single family homes? They dont think retail is an option and the idea for a mid or high rise or multiple ones lends itself well with retail on the ground levels - so what it sounds like is the company wants to build either townhomes or homes? I think eitherway the HBJ turned out a confusing and poorly worded (in places) article.

It did state that the TIRZ process and environmental remediation were keeping the original developers from doing anything - they got tired of playing the political games. I think a development with a large mixture of retail would do wonders for the area and the large site would open up possible spots for grocers ect... to serve downtown - throw in a soccer stadium or two and a couple high rises and several midrises and bingo development.

The land was bought by a group named Cypress Realty Advisors and yes, they are out of Austin. They have begun wholesale environmental remediation of the site and it is expected to take a year or so. Cypress tells me that once the site is "clean", the value will likely be more than double what they paid so they will determine at that time whether or not to push through a development or sell it off in chuncks. Smart money is one selling off in chuncks. Wulff, Finger, etc. will be clamoring to get a piece at what would be considered "affordable" by any other standards in Houston.

I would buy surrounding land. Cypress is rarely, if ever, wrong.

^ Good news that progress is being made, although that progress will spell the inevitable mass demolition of a lot of the old neighborhood, that, along with the Hardy Toll Road extension plans that include knocking down the old Elysian Viaduct and putting the toll road in there. That plot of land that is being remediated will be freeway close, that's for sure. If the residents had taken better care of those properties the area might have been saved and the toll road would've had to go elsewhere. I hope the residents don't whine too much when the cars start whizzing by at 70 MPH. As it is now, the dump that the neighborhood has become will get virtually wiped out.

Yes, I lament. I was in one abandoned property over the weekend on Elysian. Built probably in the 1890s with gingerbread and a carved entry door, the inside entry hall had burled wainscoting, carved casings and the 2 main public rooms were floor-to-10 foot ceiling original wood paneled. No paint has ever touched them, just the original shellac. The roof was caving in, the heart-pine floor was rotted and a homeless guy was living there part time. This morning, I saw a City of Houston blue tag on it, indicating it's made it to death row; the Dangerous Building List, meaning demolition is pending.

I think part of the reason Houston has such a "lust" for demolition is, that without zoning and lacking deed restrictions, trashy residents can set up neighborhoods the way they want them to be, forever preventing deed restrictions from being passed, and at that point, the place becomes so horrible that demolition seems like the best alternative.

I think part of the reason Houston has such a "lust" for demolition is, that without zoning and lacking deed restrictions, trashy residents can set up neighborhoods the way they want them to be, forever preventing deed restrictions from being passed, and at that point, the place becomes so horrible that demolition seems like the best alternative.

Detroit has zoning...

Detroit has zoning...

I've never been to Detroit but, with zoning, I'm assuming that even the most run-down neighborhoods don't have houses turned into "Fix Flats" businesses and the like. This phenomenon of converting homes into businesses is not the major reason neighborhoods turn into dumps but it adds to the feeling of chaos and aesthetic anarchy that contributes to the "come tear me down" look. The real problem is people who don't care. Sorry, but I don't believe that poverty has to mean ugly and dirty.

Sorry, but I don't believe that poverty has to mean ugly and dirty.

I agree that it doesn't have to, but rarely do you see impovrished areas that are pretty and clean. It is a self fulfilling prophecy. Cypress buys 46 acres and announces a big new, flashy residential development. Pretty soon, surrounding land owners get notice of increased property taxes and begin a mass migration. New buyers come in that can afford the new property tax values, which are still very low when compared to their neighbors in the Heights, and build there. Fairly soon, there are no "fix flat" homes left b/c they can't afford to stay and/or the owner wants to cash out for land value.

Cycle of life. Although, a little bit of zoning would be helpful.

TNJ

• 2 months later...
Amen! We also need to bulldoze the East End, the South Side, and the remaining poor pockets around Washington Ave! Soon everything inside the Loop will look like the Med Center!!! Yesssssss!!! [/sarcasm]

Sorry to be an ___ but what's wrong with North Main? I think it's got character and potential. I love the historical buildings along North Main, and the fact that it doesn't look like the suburbs. The area lends itself to a pedestrian lifestyle (which is great, since many of the residents of the area don't have cars). I not saying it's all wine and roses there, but it's not the end of the world. I'd pick living off North Main over the 'burbs any day! (...nothing wrong with the 'burbs, they're just too far out and not my style.)

I personally like the look of North Main also. If it can be cleaned up, those buildings and sidewalks would be a really nice resource there. At times, I actually went out of my way just to do some reading at the Quitman Branch Library. I guess light rail through there would raise all types of possibilities.

I personally like the look of North Main also. If it can be cleaned up, those buildings and sidewalks would be a really nice resource there. At times, I actually went out of my way just to do some reading at the Quitman Branch Library. I guess light rail through there would raise all types of possibilities.

North Main is great...if your going for that Tijuana look. Oh wait it IS Tijuana.

Cycle of life. Although, a little bit of zoning would be helpful.

TNJ

YOU THERE, spewing such dastardly rhetoric...you are forever BANISHED from the village of Houston!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived