Houston's Best Dive Bars

I try not to post too much Houston Press stuff on here - purely for the sake of not looking as self-serving as I really am ;) -- but this was too good not to share:

Houston's Best Dive Bars (by John Lomax, who definitely knows his business):

http://www.houstonpress.com/2009-10-15/news/dive-bars/

-and-

Houston, This Is NOT a Dive Bar (also by Lomax): http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2009/10/dive_bar-ology_101_what_a_dive.php

I only know of one of the dive bars on the first list. The others were completely new to me. But I'm willing to bet that our HAIFers frequent or at least know of all the best dive bars in town...

Christ, the hipsters are hell bent on taking over. Nowhere is safe. :ph34r: The D&W is mere blocks from my house, in fact me and a certain HAIFer who lives in my hood were discussing swinging by for drinks in the near future.

The Lone Star Saloon was actually the site of a well attended HAIF Happy Hour this past spring. In fact, the Lone Star is currently on the short list for this week's HHH. Does this mean we'll be crashed by partypeople? Not making the list was the infamous Happy Days Lounge, site of two (three?)previous HHHs.

You kids have it lucky, let me tell ya! We didn't have the Press to tell us where to go drink. No cameraphone shots of the jukeboxes. No tweets to alert us that the guy we were trying to shake just pulled in to the Roll-N parking lot! Trial and error was all we had! But bad bars made us tough. We had to earn our divebar stripes! :P;)

Edited by crunchtastic

i was surprised what was left out myself. these are pretty much mainstream places. i do though hope to get a report back from anyone that does go to the happy go lucky. always memorable.

I saved my girlfriend (now wife) from being whored out in a xanax haze from there. Had to talk the pimp down, crazy times..

Ohhh gee - the Happy-Go-Lucky - one of the lovelies by the Blue Top Motel. I wonder if the Little Toy Club or Eagle Lounge are still around there..

Anyone been to Dave's in Dickinson? Not sure how it rates on the dive-o-meter. I kinda like it though.

I still have not been to Stephanie's, even though it's right there. I am not shy about skeevy bars, but the Happy Go Lucky gives me pause, I must admit.

stephanie's is cool you'd have no prob. happy go lucky is almost unreal at times. the korean madame lady scene is something you have to experience.

Ohhh gee - the Happy-Go-Lucky - one of the lovelies by the Blue Top Motel. I wonder if the Little Toy Club or Eagle Lounge are still around there..

Anyone been to Dave's in Dickinson? Not sure how it rates on the dive-o-meter. I kinda like it though.

I haven't been there, but a little farther out, in Omega Bay on Highway 6, a little joint called Louis' Bait Camp rates highest among my favorite dives... at least until Ike forced them to rebuild and clean up their act. I haven't been since, but I hear it's classed itself up and become a family oriented restaurant (and bait camp).

Love the Cozy Corner in Westbury. With the smoking ban they've actually painted the interior, put in carpet and added a covered side porch so you can take your drink outside and have a smoke. Wednesday is shuffle board tournament night. Friday and Saturday night are the busy nights with karaoke which brings in a wonderful mixed crowd of straight & gay locals splashed with a few drag queens. Everyone has a great time. If you are in the area definitely stop in.