Memorial Vs. Stratford

margokorin

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it a cheerleader or a Spartan? Should that really matter?

http://jezebel.com/5...n-a-cheerleader

This kind of stuff was all over my highschool in the mid 90s.

Those Jezebel posters should be more upset about the crappy amatuerish quality of the drawing than what the drawing depicts. It looks like a six year old designed that shirt.

Is it a cheerleader or a Spartan? Should that really matter?

http://jezebel.com/5375404/nothing-says-school-spirit-like-performing-obscene-acts-on-a-cheerleader

This kind of stuff was all over my highschool in the mid 90s.

I went to Stratford and I can't imagine this going well once they find the creators. Funny, but at the same time, not really.

I'm hostile to misogyny but a zealous advocate for free speech. I shall have to think about this one.

So, which local new channel is going to pick this up. I predict, KRIV, they love trash like this.

Looks like the Memorial/Stratford football game is on 10/23.

Update: Well, the Houston Press picked it up.

It might not be ready for the early evening new, but I bet it will show up for the night news.

So, which local new channel is going to pick this up. I predict, KRIV, they love trash like this.

Looks like the Memorial/Stratford football game is on 10/23.

Update: Well, the Houston Press picked it up.

It might not be ready for the early evening new, but I bet it will show up for the night news.

The Press story is linked in the Jezebel story.

Those Jezebel posters should be more upset about the crappy amatuerish quality of the drawing than what the drawing depicts. It looks like a six year old designed that shirt.

Seriously? You think a poor quality drawing is a bigger problem than a shirt intended for minors to wear depicting a sex act? I think you should reexamine your priorities.

Seriously? You think a poor quality drawing is a bigger problem than a shirt intended for minors to wear depicting a sex act? I think you should reexamine your priorities.

Is it intended for minors to wear, or were seniors selling it to each other? Sure I guess a few seniors might be 17.

Thankfully it was not anymore detailed than it already was.

But in his defense, it is a pretty crudely drawn picture. Nothing is in proportion. :lol:

KPRC picked it up tonight.

This is one of those stories where when I was a producer I would have pretended to be a "team player" and offered it to another show, pretending I wanted it for mine.

• Can't show the shirt.
  • Lots of minors involved.
  • School district likely won't have any interesting bites.
  • Affects very few people.

Really, mostly it's just titalation and shock value, and then without being able to show the shirt, there's not even that.

Glad I don't have to be in those situations anymore.

I think that the T-shirt is pretty funny, actually. I wish that my peers had had that kind of imagination back in High School.

And I don't see it as necessarily misogynistic. I think that it would've been funnier and more effective as a propaganda piece if it'd been a guy in the opposing team's football jersey instead of a cheerleader.

I think that the T-shirt is pretty funny, actually. I wish that my peers had had that kind of imagination back in High School.

And I don't see it as necessarily misogynistic. I think that it would've been funnier and more effective as a propaganda piece if it'd been a guy in the opposing team's football jersey instead of a cheerleader.

I'm glad someone else found it funny too. I happen to find tasteless humor endlessly hilarious. Finding a reason to laugh at something appalling doesn't need to imply that we are misogynists, just that we don't take life too seriously.

Then again, my wife and I tend to laugh at each others' farts (especially when we both blame the dog simultaneously), so my tastes in humor can probably be discounted.

This is one of those stories where when I was a producer I would have pretended to be a "team player" and offered it to another show, pretending I wanted it for mine.

• Can't show the shirt.
  • Lots of minors involved.
  • School district likely won't have any interesting bites.
  • Affects very few people.

Really, mostly it's just titalation and shock value, and then without being able to show the shirt, there's not even that.

Glad I don't have to be in those situations anymore.

KRIV showed the Mustangs but blurred the Spartan cheerleader in between.

They essentially showed a screen shot of the feminist website.

Having sex with their women is intended to be depicted as a victory.

The intent of this depiction was to utilize fantasy and shocking humor to evoke an unjustifiably prideful response in one's organization. How does that equate to a hatred of women?

Say that you have two middle schools. One's mascot is a Bear, the other is a Warrior (i.e. native american). You'd expect that at any given football game between the two, you're going to see a banner somewhere in the former middle school that reads "Maul the Warriors" or some such vapid yet aggressive statement. Do you think that any of the middle schoolers are going to take the suggestion to heart and actually make a point of biting Native Nmericans when they are encountered? Do you think that that banner exhibits hatred against Native Americans, and if so, how is that hatred manifested in such a way as might cause Native Americans to care?

In my eyes, a cheap unimaginative banner at a middle school such as I described and this vulgar and obscene (but still funny and ultimately innocuous) T-shirt serve the same purpose, with the only difference being that high schoolers have a better developed sense of imagination, better artistic skills, and more resources at their disposal.

The intent of this depiction was to utilize fantasy and shocking humor to evoke an unjustifiably prideful response in one's organization. How does that equate to a hatred of women?

Say that you have two middle schools. One's mascot is a Bear, the other is a Warrior (i.e. native american). You'd expect that at any given football game between the two, you're going to see a banner somewhere in the former middle school that reads "Maul the Warriors" or some such vapid yet aggressive statement. Do you think that any of the middle schoolers are going to take the suggestion to heart and actually make a point of biting Native Nmericans when they are encountered? Do you think that that banner exhibits hatred against Native Americans, and if so, how is that hatred manifested in such a way as might cause Native Americans to care?

In my eyes, a cheap unimaginative banner at a middle school such as I described and this vulgar and obscene (but still funny and ultimately innocuous) T-shirt serve the same purpose, with the only difference being that high schoolers have a better developed sense of imagination, better artistic skills, and more resources at their disposal.

Now I've got the image of a bunch of 12 year olds chewing on some shocked American Indians stuck in my head. If only Running Bear and Tonto had known not to go to that pep rally... It's a shame.

In my eyes, a cheap unimaginative banner at a middle school such as I described and this vulgar and obscene (but still funny and ultimately innocuous) T-shirt serve the same purpose, with the only difference being that high schoolers have a better developed sense of imagination, better artistic skills, and more resources hormones at their disposal.

Minor edit to your post

Minor edit to your post

I'm pretty sure that if you teach a 3rd grade kid that some aspect of carnal knowledge is considered "bad", they're going to take your word for it and start using it as an insult against other kids on the playground. At least, that's how I remember things working at my elementary school (not that any of the kids actually understood the processes involved in what they were saying). So, no, I don't think it has to do with hormones so much.

I think that more than anything, this t-shirt is just another form of creative pomp and ridicule, characteristic of youth. I doubt that most people involved would actually want to inflict a threesome with two male horses upon a girl, even if it were realistically possible. (And this essentially harmless obnoxiousness is only typical of males, btw; I think that females commit far deeper and more lasting emotional wounds against their peers, but nobody ever complains about it.)

I'm pretty sure that if you teach a 3rd grade kid that some aspect of carnal knowledge is considered "bad", they're going to take your word for it and start using it as an insult against other kids on the playground. At least, that's how I remember things working at my elementary school (not that any of the kids actually understood the processes involved in what they were saying). So, no, I don't think it has to do with hormones so much.

I think that more than anything, this t-shirt is just another form of creative pomp and ridicule, characteristic of youth. I doubt that most people involved would actually want to inflict a threesome with two male horses upon a girl, even if it were realistically possible. (And this essentially harmless obnoxiousness is only typical of males, btw; I think that females commit far deeper and more lasting emotional wounds against their peers, but nobody ever complains about it.)

Misogynistic hyperbole results in more subtle incidents of misogyny, it encourages the behavior.

Archived