Crosby Freeway

I was in Beaumont on Tuesday for work and decided to drive back on 90 just to change things up. So does anyone know when the new section opens up? It looks like its getting really close to completion, from the parts I saw anyways, but I couldn't find any info on it opening.

Yeah I know, way to resurrect a 10 month old thread...

I was in Beaumont on Tuesday for work and decided to drive back on 90 just to change things up. So does anyone know when the new section opens up? It looks like its getting really close to completion, from the parts I saw anyways, but I couldn't find any info on it opening.

Yeah I know, way to resurrect a 10 month old thread...

Completion date is February 2011, according to the Highlands Star.

• 5 months later...

I live just about a mile and a half from the freeway. So far, between Maxey/Wallisville and Uvalde those feeders have been completed. Yet, there are still a few gaps in between with that section--the Greens Bayou bridge and the future strip near the future extension between Purple Sage. I've driven near that section and to my best estimate...it looks almost ready. Where Greens Bayou is, I think they're clearing the area so that they can start construction on the bridge...

*LAUGHS* I know, this is my very first post for this forum, but I have been paying very close attention to the way this freeway is being constructed since it started, and as a result, it could bring some serious improvements to North Shore and force its redevelopment. If only they'll pave the roads connecting to US 90. [e.g., Normandy, John Ralston/Holland, Woodforest, and Mercury/Oates].

In the meantime, both NS and H-town need to figure out a plan to redevelop Herman Brown Park since it sits in the path of US 90... :mellow:

UPDATE: Folks, it looks like the eastbound lanes of the Crosby Freeway are officially open! :)

I just drove on it a few minutes ago...from the eastbound direct connector up to just over Beltway 8. It's bummer that the Greens Bayou bridge and the future Purple Sage overpass won't be built--due to lack of funding...but it's a start in the right direction.

Maybe, someone can get some snapshots of the new freeway in a future reply...

Northeast Harris County, ready or not, your new freeway IS HERE!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, guys...great news!

Katherine Whaley of KHOU just did a report on the completion of US 90 (Crosby Freeway). :) Check it here:

Beat the Traffic: Crosby Freeway relieves traffic congestion on other thoroughfares

...And in addition, YouTube user, WillUBHave did a freeway video on it. So far, only the eastbound route was shot. I was promised that the westbound clip will be available. Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHtJSvLHrQo

I drove it for the first time just this week. It was one heck of a lonely drive. Not much traffic at all.

It is kind of annoying, though, that there is no connectivity between this freeway and the eastbound North Loop lanes.

@TheNiche, traffic will pick up along the way...I've been driving it up and down and yeah, to access it again, you have to exit at Turning Basin Drive and then U-turn back north towards the East Loop to the US 90 exit. Moreover, there aren't going to be any direct connectors to coming from I-10 east...and I mean I-10 westbound-to-US 90 eastbound and from US 90 westbound-to-I-10 eastbound... :angry2:

@TheNiche, traffic will pick up along the way...I've been driving it up and down and yeah, to access it again, you have to exit at Turning Basin Drive and then U-turn back north towards the East Loop to the US 90 exit. Moreover, there aren't going to be any direct connectors to coming from I-10 east...and I mean I-10 westbound-to-US 90 eastbound and from US 90 westbound-to-I-10 eastbound... :angry2:

Guess they aren't expecting that much development on US 90 between 610 and the Beltway.

My family lives out off US90 and Beltway 8 and I was amazed how quickly I arrived there. It literally shaves about 10 minutes off the drive (as opposed to taking I-10 East, then Beltway 8 North)! It isn't loaded with traffic just yet but I have noticed a little more cars every time I use it. A large chunk of this new segment is mostly large trees and parkland because it cuts right through the middle of Hermann Brown Park. With that said, I don't foresee any development in that area. However, further north, NewQuest has a large "town center" in development (Kroger Markeplace/Target/Cinemark Theatres/24 Hour Fitness) proposed for the southwest corner of new US90 and Beltway 8. BPI has a large tract on the southeast side of the same intersection and are proposing another shopping center anchored possibly by an HEB and a "home improvement store" (likely a Home Depot). Growing up, my mom always complained that there were never enough stores in the area, well seems she's getting her wish!

My family lives out off US90 and Beltway 8 and I was amazed how quickly I arrived there. It literally shaves about 10 minutes off the drive (as opposed to taking I-10 East, then Beltway 8 North)! It isn't loaded with traffic just yet but I have noticed a little more cars every time I use it. A large chunk of this new segment is mostly large trees and parkland because it cuts right through the middle of Hermann Brown Park. With that said, I don't foresee any development in that area. However, further north, NewQuest has a large "town center" in development (Kroger Markeplace/Target/Cinemark Theatres/24 Hour Fitness) proposed for the southwest corner of new US90 and Beltway 8. BPI has a large tract on the southeast side of the same intersection and are proposing another shopping center anchored possibly by an HEB and a "home improvement store" (likely a Home Depot). Growing up, my mom always complained that there were never enough stores in the area, well seems she's getting her wish!

@EddieHou77, @Trae,

Don't forget that Woodforest Terrace is another future subdivision that's coming in the path of Hwy 90. Already, Plantation Homes and Brighton Homes have begun building in the newest section of New Forest--the one near that future town center that's going to be built. I can't hardly wait for Target to return to North Shore...and even if Kohl's, Bed Bath & Beyond, Old Navy, Hobby Lobby, and others set up shop there, then that'll give us many more reasons not to go to Baytown, Pasadena, or even Humble... :)

Archived