Mam's House Of Ice Snoball Stand On 20th St. & Rutland St.

I sure do. Its a snoball stand at 20th and Rutland that makes some delicious ice. Make sure to add condensed milk when you try it. Anyway, they put a message out on Facebook recently saying business during the week is slow and that the next couple weeks will determine if they continue, so get it while its cold!

Yes. Although I still believe they need to stop working it themselves and hire cheap kids to do it so their prices can come down to normal.

I don't think the prices are that bad, but I agree that it was a bad idea to quit a CPA job for this. Have some kids run it and keep working your CPA job til you can build a big following.

What are the prices? How is it compared to other places? What is the mark up for water now?

There are no other places, that's another reason they get away with the prices. In Baton Rouge there are tons of snoball stands and no size is even 3 bucks. Usually $1.25 gets you all you need.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to hear they were robbed. So the "horrible horrible neighbor" who complained about Mam's being in the Fiesta Parking lot was correct. It DID attract a criminal element. It just attracted this element to rob it, not as patrons.

But as far as snowballs go, I'm a Memorial Day to Labor Day Kind of Snowball eater. A snowball stand should be located next to an existing store and run by teenagers while they're out of school for the summer and shut down when they can't work it anymore.

• 5 months later...

Yes I love it...love walking through the neighborhood on the way there, love the people watching, love the variety of flavors, love the taste, love supporting a local business, love having a red tongue when I'm finished.

Weekends only would be fine for me since I'm more likely to stop off for a stiff drink after work than a snowball. Unless they could integrate the two, combining the snowball stand with a drive-through daiquiri shop. They already have the syrup to make margaritas and hurricanes...

biggrin.gif

• 3 months later...

Hey MAM's (and that other place that popped up on Ella), here is why we only go there once a month instead of multiple times per week:

1) Your prices are ridiculous. See the below example of how reasonably priced sno-balls should cost. If your business model requires that you charge as much as you do, then you are doing something waaaay wrong (like working the place yourselves instead of hiring high schoolers to do it?).

IMG00006.jpg

2) This one you can easily fix, but you don't make them right. The proper way to ensure complete and uniform syrup distribution is to fill the cup a little over half full of ice, then pour syrup, then top with the rest of the ice and finally syrup. When you do all of the ice first before the syrup, it creates too many large channels of flow down to the bottom, and your cone collapses, and there are always spots where the syrup doesn't get to.

I'm just trying to help, I hope you can take some constructive feedback. My experiences come from a place where the same sno-ball stands have been in the same places for the past 20 years, they know what they are doing.

I've always thought MAMS was expensive. Good, but overpriced. I'm used to the ones in Haleiwa, HI where you get jumbo sized ones with homemade icecream for about $2.50. Yum. I think its time for another trip to Hawaii. But MAMS is doing well. So well that many times I've driven right by it because I refuse to stand in a hot mosquito line with 15 other folks waiting for an overpriced slurpee. I do appreciate their presence in the community though.

I've always thought MAMS was expensive. Good, but overpriced. I'm used to the ones in Haleiwa, HI where you get jumbo sized ones with homemade icecream for about $2.50. Yum. I think its time for another trip to Hawaii. But MAMS is doing well. So well that many times I've driven right by it because I refuse to stand in a hot mosquito line with 15 other folks waiting for an overpriced slurpee. I do appreciate their presence in the community though.

What ARE Mam's prices?

From the online menu - small $1.75, medium $2.75, large $3.75 (extras additional)

http://www.mamshouse...e.com/Menu.html

Those prices correspond with the $1.25, $1.50, and $1.75 sizes in the picture I posted. Ridiculous!! They get the same syrup everyone else does. My cheap-bastard-ness is flaring up again, I'm boycotting them this year. Maybe they could lower their prices if they bought cups from a proposed nearby Wal-Mart...:lol:

They get the same syrup everyone else does.

I believe they make their own syrups. I'm willing to pay for that extra, and I DO on occasion. However, like you said, I would go more if the prices are more reasonable. A $4-$5 snocone just defies logic except for those rare instances imo

I believe they make their own syrups. I'm willing to pay for that extra, and I DO on occasion. However, like you said, I would go more if the prices are more reasonable. A $4-$5 snocone just defies logic except for those rare instances imo

Based on the website it seems they do make a few "natural" flavors daily, those cost $1 extra. The big list of flavors that doesn't change are the same mass-produced stuff everyone else uses.

Based on the website it seems they do make a few "natural" flavors daily, those cost $1 extra. The big list of flavors that doesn't change are the same mass-produced stuff everyone else uses.

OK. But is there anywhere with those cheaper prices that I can take my kids, sit outside on the grass and get a good shaved ice? if there is, I'll go but right now the sit outside and grass and toddler friendly trump the prices (we only buy the small and the baby doesn't get his own, so our net loss is $1 per visit)

OK. But is there anywhere with those cheaper prices that I can take my kids, sit outside on the grass and get a good shaved ice? if there is, I'll go but right now the sit outside and grass and toddler friendly trump the prices (we only buy the small and the baby doesn't get his own, so our net loss is $1 per visit)

Yes, every single place (around 10 of them that I've been to) in Baton Rouge where I grew up. In fact, half of those have a covered patio area with picnic tables, and the stand also offers snack foods like nachos, hot dogs, etc. I have no idea why Houston sucks so bad at having good sno-ball stands. Maybe there are better ones in the 'burbs where families are more catered to.

Yes, you can go to Tampico on N. Main for a cheaper cone. It's a different scene though.

Cheers

James

I could be wrong but I'm guessing it's the typical Texas/Mexican style sno-cone, not the New Orleans style shaved ice sno-ball. Way different texture and I prefer the New Orleans style.

Yes, every single place (around 10 of them that I've been to) in Baton Rouge where I grew up. In fact, half of those have a covered patio area with picnic tables, and the stand also offers snack foods like nachos, hot dogs, etc. I have no idea why Houston sucks so bad at having good sno-ball stands. Maybe there are better ones in the 'burbs where families are more catered to.

Well, I'm not in BR so that rules that out for me. ^_^

I've been lead to believe there aren't many in the burbs. There is a strong possibility of a couple here or there but another forum I am on (marriage/family/baby stuff) is almost all women from the suburbs. There have been a couple threads about Mams b/c one of the women is a wedding planner and is in the Heights a lot. She lives in Clear Lake and is always going on and on about Mams. Most of the other women have no idea what a snoball stand is, have it confused with a snocone or claim it's a "city" thing. These are the kinds of people who are pretty entrenched in family life and neighborhoods out there in the burbs so I would guess that they would know if there was a Mams of some sort.

Yes, you can go to Tampico on N. Main for a cheaper cone. It's a different scene though.

Cheers

James

I love Tampico but my kiddos can't really run around outside there and I feel like if I am giving them all that sugar I should be letting them run it off at the same time.

Does anyone know anything about Mango's down by Stude Park? I thought I heard they have raspas but I still haven't been down there to check it out.

I could be wrong but I'm guessing it's the typical Texas/Mexican style sno-cone, not the New Orleans style shaved ice sno-ball. Way different texture and I prefer the New Orleans style.

Well, I could be wrong too but I think real Mexican raspas are actually shaved ice. The ones at Tampico are shaved, not crunchy.

Does anyone know anything about Mango's down by Stude Park? I thought I heard they have raspas but I still haven't been down there to check it out.

Did Mango's reopen? It was closed for a while and I never saw if it reopened again. The building is still the same.

Those prices correspond with the $1.25, $1.50, and $1.75 sizes in the picture I posted. Ridiculous!! They get the same syrup everyone else does. My cheap-bastard-ness is flaring up again, I'm boycotting them this year. Maybe they could lower their prices if they bought cups from a proposed nearby Wal-Mart...:lol:

Are they using the same ice though? I haven't tried the one you mentioned, but every other snowcone stand I've been to in Houston has the big chunky ice and not that superfine stuff at Mam's that has excellent absorption.

Archived