Home At 1850 Norfolk St.

sevfiv

There was a story last May about an older couple who was robbed in their driveway (link and permanent link), and a story yesterday about how they have now moved out because of the crime (link and permanent link).

I thought it was interesting that the current HAR listing for their former home has this description:

Perfect lot to build to your dream home. The existing home is being SOLD AS IS. Too far gone for repair. (HAR link and permanent link).

The couple was living in the home in May. Just thought the listing was "funny."

There was a story last May about an older couple who was robbed in their driveway (link and permanent link), and a story yesterday about how they have now moved out because of the crime (link and permanent link).

I thought it was interesting that the current HAR listing for their former home has this description:

Perfect lot to build to your dream home. The existing home is being SOLD AS IS. Too far gone for repair. (HAR link and permanent link).

The couple was living in the home in May. Just thought the listing was "funny."

I don't get it, what's too far gone about it? Realtors are too quick to use that phrase. I've seen much worse. That's a nice house & yard, looks like good bones to me. A new one would look out of place on that street. I just drove thru there the other day. That area has some nice old homes in it. And the oaks are massive & ancient.

Edited by NenaE

I don't get it, what's too far gone about it? Realtors are too quick to use that phrase. I've seen much worse. That's a nice house & yard, looks like good bones to me. A new one would look out of place on that street. I just drove thru there the other day. That area has some nice old homes in it. And the oaks are massive & ancient.

<sarcasm>did you not see the tile in the kitchen? obviously, this hideous tile will force a complete demolition of the entire building!</sarcasm>

there are some really cool queues with that house, I wonder though, just under 400k for what is 'too far gone for repair' maybe I've been living in my dream world of east end for too long!

Sounds to me that they don't want to fix things, and don't want to be bothered with the list of demands following an inspection. So they're saying, if you want to leave the house standing, it's your problem, not ours.

I agree with that statement.

As old as the couple was, I'm sure home maintenance wasn't highest on their to-do list.

Probably the son's or daughter's decision to sell for land...doubt if the original owners would like to see their house of 40+ yrs. get gutted. Emotional attachment vs sheer logic... always a tough one. But with the price of senior care these days, I can understand the thinking.

I didn't notice how much they were asking, in my first post. Wow, land near downtown is getting more expensive by the day. I better go take alot of pictures, of the things that are not going to survive. I'm curious, which side (ward) do you think has the most expensive land?

Without actually getting inside this place (and the crawl space and the attic) its not possible to say if it is salvageable, or has "good bones." From photos and even the sidewalk you may not be able to tell that there isn't some fundamental foundation or structural problem here. As a HAR listing its probably been looked at by various flippers and other professionals, and they said either its overpriced (HCAD has the land in the 200Ks), or not worth saving, from an economical point of view.

Maybe. But without getting into the house there is no way to know whether the perils inside are better or worse than outside. :unsure:

quote name='sevfiv' date='Monday, August 31, 2009 at 1:36 PM' timestamp='1251743792' post='339232']

And just think...those old folks would have continued to live in that possibly unsalvageable wreck-of-a-house if it weren't for the criminals! It was a blessing in disguise! :P:rolleyes:

385K for a lot in Montrose is pretty steep, oversized lot or not. And there's a pending offer on it. Nothing makes sense about this listing.

The land value, there are several lots for sale in Montrose, one at I think at 1504 Kipling something like 54wide by 125deep, price $400,000. One at 1732 Harold, that sold and is under construction size 50' by 106', sold around $325. Plus a house was torned down on the 1600blk of Kipling purchased from owner, never had a for sale sign, sold for low $300, lot 50 by 125, I believe. The land is getting expensive.

• 2 months later...

Yep, though Mary Mills is the previous owner and Carol Issak Barden + Co. is the new owner:

Project No: 09103056

Date : 2009/11/17

USE : DEMO RES/SEWER DISC

Owner/Occupant : MILLS MARY LO

Job Address : 1850 NORFOLK ST 77098

Valuation : $ 0

Permit Type : SD

FCC Group : Demo; Single Familty Dwelling

Buyer : *M G EXCAVTORS INC

Address : 3009 HONEYSUCKLE DR 77583

Phone : (713) 436-5051

File No: 20090423038

Grantor:MILLS MARY LOUISE BARKER ETAL

Grantee:CAROL ISAAK BARDEN+COMPANY

FC:RP067611752

Date:20090916

Type:W/D

• The title was changed to 1850 Norfolk St.
  • The title was changed to Home At 1850 Norfolk St.