Institute Spur Train Line To Rice University

WillowBend56

Yes. The camera is facing East, away from Rice in the Life photo. It's a great picture of Herman Park.

There is another good picture of the Herman Park entrance & Rice University, very similar to the Life shot, in the Houston Then & Now book, pgs. 102 & 103. Hermann Hospital towers over the trees in it as well, it even states that Hermann Hosp. is the bldg. seen in the picture. The Rice Campus Bldgs. are seen, across Fannin. The trolley line is also detectible, you can see how the new metro line somewhat follows it. In the newer photo, you can see how the oaks have grown.

• Like 1

Yeah, Rice is a good 45-60 degrees to the right in the Life photo.

Anywho, the old Hermann Hospital is still in there somewhere, right? I'm talking about the physical building. It was never torn down, right? I think new construction surrounds it. I remember going into the lobby many years ago and remember that it had a Spanish style. I specifically remember green, Mexican tile.

• Like 1

Yeah, Rice is a good 45-60 degrees to the right in the Life photo.

Anywho, the old Hermann Hospital is still in there somewhere, right? I'm talking about the physical building. It was never torn down, right? I think new construction surrounds it. I remember going into the lobby many years ago and remember that it had a Spanish style. I specifically remember green, Mexican tile.

Yeah, it's still there, been added on to, alot. That's the one I was talking about touring, the Spanish bldg. There is a little medical museum in it. I remember green inside the bldg somewhere.

• Like 1

Here's a recent photo at Wikipedia

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Chronicle ran a story years ago on the old Houston trolley lines. They had a pic of the Rice Institute trolley car which you can see at: http://www.chron.com...t.html#11770648

Looks like Houston has a long history of collisions between trolleys and cars. At least I'm assuming that the trolley damage is a result of.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Compare the left side of this picture of Hermann with the part of the building shown in the Life photo. The Lovett Hall structure is not like that in the Life photo. Lovett would be further to the right and out of the Life picture.

HermannHosp-1925.jpg

I read last night, in one of my Houston books, that the true pronunciation for the Hermann name is actually pronounced Harmon.

Texans add rrrrr to everything.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Institute Spur
  • 6 months later...
  • The title was changed to Institute Spur Train Line To Rice University
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Found some additional information this week.

Here's the rail car with the Rice Institute logo.

QgDWiJw.jpg

Two maps showing the SA&AP main line splitting into the Institute Spur. Definitely looks like the spur carried coal to the Rice Institute power plant.

5m9Tw44.jpg

1cCjwG8.jpg

At the bottom of this photo, you can actually see the train tracks.

aLCWs47.jpg

• Like 3