Garden Oaks Information & Developments

editor

You can occasionally find something like what you are looking for in Timbergrove or Lazybrook. The houses in Timbergrove South of 11th, east of TC Jester are the most likely candidates, but will still be rare. There are a few areas in Spring Branch that will meet your criteria as well, but you ahve to look around and do your research on the specific neighborhoods.

Thanks.

We have looked at Timergrove, areas of Spring Branch, and have even looked as far out as neighborhoods in the Energy Corridor. I'm just trying to make sure I'm not overlooking an area that may meet our criteria.

I second Lazybrook and Timbergrove - both nice neighborhoods. Maybe Shepherd Forest? You can find 3 bed/2 bath there.

SF is definitely an attractive option from a home size standpoint, but I'm a little leery of the area. There's an awful lot of traffic noise from 610, and many homes appear to have seen better days.

Candlelight Oaks

Ella Lee Forest

Mangum Manor

The western part of Oak Forest

Inwood Forest

There's plenty in the area... this all assumes you'll be there a while AND are talking neighborhoods, not schools... all which kinda suck.

I went to do a home visit for a dog adoption yesterday and fell in love with the neighborhood. It was off Park Place (east of) and Poplar street. I think it was called Santa Maria or something like that. Very neat streets. Had a bit of an oak Forest feel. Does anybody know anything about that area?

I went to do a home visit for a dog adoption yesterday and fell in love with the neighborhood. It was off Park Place (east of) and Poplar street. I think it was called Santa Maria or something like that. Very neat streets. Had a bit of an oak Forest feel. Does anybody know anything about that area?

That neighborhood is Glenbrook Valley...the name of the street in Santa Elena.

I would check Candlelight Oaks ...very lovely neighborhood!

That neighborhood is Glenbrook Valley...the name of the street in Santa Elena.

I would check Candlelight Oaks ...very lovely neighborhood!

It's called Sims Bayou Estates. Very nice, neat clean neighborhood. Bordered by Reveille and Parkplace.

It's called Sims Bayou Estates. Very nice, neat clean neighborhood. Bordered by Reveille and Parkplace.

Sims Bayou Estates is sandwiched between Santa Rosa subdiv and Park Place subdiv.

It's bounded by Poplar, Park Place Blvd, Sims Bayou, and a line behind the homes on the east side of DeLeon.

The homes west of Poplar are in Santa Rosa and Reveille bisects the Santa Rosa subdiv.

Santa Rosa runs from Telephone to DeLeon and south from Park Place Blvd to the bayou.

Just sayin...as a former Park Place resident. :)

Sims Bayou Estates is sandwiched between Santa Rosa subdiv and Park Place subdiv.

It's bounded by Poplar, Park Place Blvd, Sims Bayou, and a line behind the homes on the east side of DeLeon.

The homes west of Poplar are in Santa Rosa and Reveille bisects the Santa Rosa subdiv.

Santa Rosa runs from Telephone to DeLeon and south from Park Place Blvd to the bayou.

Just sayin...as a former Park Place resident. smile.gif

Santa Rosa, that's what he called it. Thanks for the info. I think it is an undiscovered treasure.

You may want to check out Willow Meadows, Meyerland or surrounding neighborhoods. Convenient to freeways, Galleria, downtown, med center, Rice/Village area - lots of shopping and restaurants nearby at Meyerland Plaza, too. Homes are a bit larger with nice lots sometimes. You may need to devote some elbow grease to stay under $300, depending on the neighborhood. School zoning ranges from fair/good to excellent.

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cfm?mlnum=56399484&backButton=Y&Address=4727%20Omeara

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cfm?mlnum=4435009&backButton=Y&Address=5034%20Cheena%20Dr

We lived in Lazybrook and liked it but didn't want to pay for a larger house, so we moved to Brookwoods Estates. It's like a two street neighborhood between Dacoma and 34th on TC Jester. Pros are MUCH bigger houses, MUCH bigger lots (most of them min. 14,600), nice active neighbors and many of the houses are remodeled or about to be. Buying and selling has been good around here, one just came on and sold like in a week. Con is the street that some of the houses (on Brookwoods Dr) back up to, Sherwood, which has a lot of apartments. I would pick Ascot if I had it to do again because they lack backing up to that or any sort of thru traffic. Ridiculously easy access to 290 and 610. It's a nice alternative to some of the closer areas

http://search.har.co...=Y&Address=3909 Ascot Ln

http://search.har.co...=Y&Address=3918 Ascot Ln

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cfm?mlnum=39644134&backButton=Y&Address=2709 Helberg Rd

There is a church right across from there where my son goes to preschool - that little street is already a nightmare of traffic so that would suck to live right off of with people racing up and down it and then the school guard out half the time. I remember that builder from other developments, I almost bought one over at I-10 and TC Jester. They are kind of cool, open and modern. Don't forget that Garden Oaks has a presence on that side of Shepherd too, but it is up a ways from that. There's a lot of land open there, so who knows what will happen to it. It won't back up to anything more than a field for awhile and then it is anyone's guess what is built in that field. If this goes well, it could mean more development moving toward the north and that could only be a good thing. And they've moved quickly on it, so you shouldn't have the "Treemont Black Mold" from being open to the elements forever. You may have other issues though, who knows.

The builder doesn't seem to go crazy with the upgrades and looking at it you get a lot of very standard things. That said, at $190K...1700 sq ft...basically on Shepherd so simple commute...compelling for the right people in many ways. I sure do hate those shared driveway things though, all fine until people don't park in their garage and pull those funky moves. And what is the $65 maintenance for?

We lived in Lazybrook and liked it but didn't want to pay for a larger house, so we moved to Brookwoods Estates. It's like a two street neighborhood between Dacoma and 34th on TC Jester. Pros are MUCH bigger houses, MUCH bigger lots (most of them min. 14,600), nice active neighbors and many of the houses are remodeled or about to be. Buying and selling has been good around here, one just came on and sold like in a week. Con is the street that some of the houses (on Brookwoods Dr) back up to, Sherwood, which has a lot of apartments. I would pick Ascot if I had it to do again because they lack backing up to that or any sort of thru traffic. Ridiculously easy access to 290 and 610. It's a nice alternative to some of the closer areas

http://search.har.co...=Y&Address=3909 Ascot Ln

http://search.har.co...=Y&Address=3918 Ascot Ln

http://search.har.co...=Y&Address=2709 Helberg Rd

Brookwoods Estates is so pretty, although overpriced considering most of it is in the floodplain, there are several houses in the neighborhood that have been turned into businesses, and as mentioned, there are numerous large, ghetto apartment complexes just a block away....that means CRIME CRIME CRIME!

SF is definitely an attractive option from a home size standpoint, but I'm a little leery of the area. There's an awful lot of traffic noise from 610, and many homes appear to have seen better days.

The noise from the loop isn't bad. Have you looked at the section between Shepherd and Ella? The houses are in better condition in that section, and a few McMansions have popped up in that section.

• 8 months later...

Just sayin...as a former Park Place resident. smile.gif

History & old photos of Sims Bayou Estates : http://unmapping.wordpress.com/2009/05/14/life-cycle-city-a-neighborhood-in-transition/

• The title was changed to Should I Buy This House In Garden Oaks?
  • The title was changed to Garden Oaks Information & Developments

Archived