AT&T U-Verse

Good Afternoon,

hope your day is going well!

Thank You for all the comments.

So does the AT&T U-verse requiring new drilling of holes on the house for cable and internet lines ?

Someone mentioned about the electrical wiring of the home must all be updated and grounded ?

Is there an installation fee ? Do you have to have an AT&T phone line ?

Thank You

My sister and brother in law got it and their cabling and electrical is not new and they didn't do any updating, so I don't think that's an issue. I think they use existing cable lines. You do not have to have an at&t phone line, I know people that dropped their phone when they went to uverse. go to uverse.com and alot of those questions will be answered there. They have significant rebates. So if there is an installation fee, you will get more than that back in rebates and gift cards.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good Afternoon,

hope your day is going well!

Thank You for all the comments.

So does the AT&T U-verse requiring new drilling of holes on the house for cable and internet lines ?

Someone mentioned about the electrical wiring of the home must all be updated and grounded ?

Is there an installation fee ? Do you have to have an AT&T phone line ?

Thank You

Uverse can run in your house via your phone line or coax, depending on your wiring.

If they need to run additional wiring inside your house, they may try to charge you. If wiring needs to be done outside, if should be their dime.

Unfortunately you won't know until the day the service tech comes out to install.

no. they won't install if your wiring doesn't meet their criteria. you're lying outright.

Not sure what you mean by criteria. But at our first install attempt there was a wiring problem inside our apt (an internal line had been cut and our disconnected). They wanted $ to have a tech come fix it. We sent them away, made our landlord bring an electrician in, then had AT&T come back.

Sadly, because AT&T is in demand, the next install date available was 6 weeks down the road.

Don't appreciate being called a liar.

Not sure what you mean by criteria. But at our first install attempt there was a wiring problem inside our apt (an internal line had been cut and our disconnected). They wanted $ to have a tech come fix it. We sent them away, made our landlord bring an electrician in, then had AT&T come back.

Sadly, because AT&T is in demand, the next install date available was 6 weeks down the road.

my apologies....if you're talking phone lines vs power i can see why they'd offer to send a tech. if you have electrical power probs, they sure shouldn't offer to bring in a tech.

i guess demand varies because they came to my parents on friday and said the system wouldn't work due to lack of ground on some of the outlets. i put in two new outlets over the weekend and they returned monday.

my apologies....if you're talking phone lines vs power i can see why they'd offer to send a tech. if you have electrical power probs, they sure shouldn't offer to bring in a tech.

i guess demand varies because they came to my parents on friday and said the system wouldn't work due to lack of ground on some of the outlets. i put in two new outlets over the weekend and they returned monday.

No probs - I hope they like it, I love Uverse. Still waiting for Phase 2 in Houston, we're about the only city left in TX that doesn't have it.

Please be aware that if you purchase Uverse, there is no option of choosing (or maintaining) an independent third party DSL broadband provider (such as Oplink.net). Some ATT salespeople are misleading new Uverse customers about this.

The process of switching to Uverse absolutely requires ATT Internet service. Furthermore, you cannot cancel Uverse and then revert to an independent DSL provider because permanent physical changes in the wiring make indpependent DSL providers incompatible.

Please be aware that if you purchase Uverse, there is no option of choosing (or maintaining) an independent third party DSL broadband provider (such as Oplink.net). Some ATT salespeople are misleading new Uverse customers about this.

The process of switching to Uverse absolutely requires ATT Internet service. Furthermore, you cannot cancel Uverse and then revert to an independent DSL provider because permanent physical changes in the wiring make indpependent DSL providers incompatible.

You are correct that if you have Uverse you can only use AT&T DSL (b/c Uverse is using your phone lines) - you can however have Uverse TV and a third party cable internet provider.

As far as 'permanent' physical changes to the wiring, they can easily be undone. If you or anyone else needs instructions, feel free to PM me.

You are correct that if you have Uverse you can only use AT&T DSL (b/c Uverse is using your phone lines) - you can however have Uverse TV and a third party cable internet provider.

As far as 'permanent' physical changes to the wiring, they can easily be undone. If you or anyone else needs instructions, feel free to PM me.

Yes of course you can always have cable Internet or for that matter wireless Internet service. However you cannot have a third party DSL provider ever again. By permanent wiring changes I mean changes in the ATT phone network, not cabling in the home. The phone network to the home is changed such that DSL transport is not compatible with an independent DSL provider that competes with ATT DSL.

Yes of course you can always have cable Internet or for that matter wireless Internet service. However you cannot have a third party DSL provider ever again. By permanent wiring changes I mean changes in the ATT phone network, not cabling in the home. The phone network to the home is changed such that DSL transport is not compatible with an independent DSL provider that competes with ATT DSL.

Still working on that issue. No definitive answer from the experts yet.

Phase II just hit Houston!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uverse is available on W 25. Our future neighbor on either side is qualified, but out house is not. It will take up to 30 days for this to happen. But sounds like we'll be able to have it in the new home.

Still working on that issue. No definitive answer from the experts yet.

Phase II just hit Houston!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uverse is available on W 25. Our future neighbor on either side is qualified, but out house is not. It will take up to 30 days for this to happen. But sounds like we'll be able to have it in the new home.

Bah! So frustrating. It's available *literally* across the street, but not on my block. Nice guy at AT&T spent a good 20 minutes looking for nearby addresses to try and map out the availability.

The weird thing is, we were able to find availability on most of the N-S streets (named), but any of the E-W streets (numbered) came back negative. I'm near on E 23rd near Halbert park, btw.

Bah! So frustrating. It's available *literally* across the street, but not on my block. Nice guy at AT&T spent a good 20 minutes looking for nearby addresses to try and map out the availability.

The weird thing is, we were able to find availability on most of the N-S streets (named), but any of the E-W streets (numbered) came back negative. I'm near on E 23rd near Halbert park, btw.

This is my biggest and only complaint with them. Someone some where is convinced that if you type in 123 23, it will return every possible iterration of 123 East 23rd Ave - and it does NOT work like that. If you're not having luck I can send you some contact info for AT&T folks who can help you. In the meantime keep a brief log of your attempts and case #'s (the higher level reps like to see you tried with the lower level folks before they step in).

Before falling asleep last night, I noticed that they were rolling out an upgrade. It gave a % progress bar like pc software. I just turned off the TV and left on the box. Haven't had a chance to see what changes or improvements were made. This occured on my secondary box, not the main DVR.

Maybe this is a phase that Yank speaks of.

Before falling asleep last night, I noticed that they were rolling out an upgrade. It gave a % progress bar like pc software. I just turned off the TV and left on the box. Haven't had a chance to see what changes or improvements were made. This occured on my secondary box, not the main DVR.

Maybe this is a phase that Yank speaks of.

Biggest change - you may now set programs to record and delete previously recorded shows from your secondary boxes.

Also, 5.1 HDMI sound output, Media Share, etc.

Biggest change - you may now set programs to record and delete previously recorded shows from your secondary boxes.

Also, 5.1 HDMI sound output, Media Share, etc.

YES! I have that capability now from my secondary box. I was hoping to have pause live tv capability so I could let the program get ahead of me so that I would be able to FF through the commercials, but don't. Still a major enhancement...

So, I'm guessing that it's telling the DVR box to record - cool. Do they speak wirelessly or via my wired network?

First, a HAIF upgrade and now this. I am beside myself today.

Another new feature they just added is the ability to control your DVR from your iPhone - they released an app for it - search for uverse in iTunes app store and it'll show up. Tried it out last night and seems to work fine aftyer you do a system reset. You can see what's already recorded and scheduled and can set new recordings or delete old ones.

Just a heads up, it is also possible for your address to simply be missing from their system even if it is available. In my case, I checked using both my next door neighbors address and they came back "available" while mine, in the middle of the block, right between them with the lines in the alley in back, came back as "not available in your area." I had to call and get it straightened out to order or I have no doubt I would still be waiting for them to "contact me when UVerse is available in my area"

Try resetting your set top boxes as well.

I reset the main box again last night. It came up with a prompt. Something like: "You have an upgrade waiting, press OK". It did not do this last time. Reset the other set tops and received the same prompt. Works now! Thanks!

I reset the main box again last night. It came up with a prompt. Something like: "You have an upgrade waiting, press OK". It did not do this last time. Reset the other set tops and received the same prompt. Works now! Thanks!

Remember - the set top boxes do not have any buffer. So until Phase III rolls out, if you watch a show on a non-DVR TV then hit record while watching, it will start recording at the point you hit record, not from the beginning of the show. Just FYI.

Remember - the set top boxes do not have any buffer. So until Phase III rolls out, if you watch a show on a non-DVR TV then hit record while watching, it will start recording at the point you hit record, not from the beginning of the show. Just FYI.

I figured that out. Since you can't pause live TV yet, I just hit the record button on the remote. Then, went about my business. When I went back, I just RW to the beginning and then have the pause option.

I tried another option from work/internet the other day. I set the MJ Memorial to record on all three networks at once from my work computer.

It looks like I'm in the correct area for Uverse (good or bad, I'm not sure yet). I was wondeirng if anyone else has switched to Uverse internet from SBC DSL, and if they have experienced better (more consistent) connectivity? Our DSL works fine 99% of the time, but it has a habit of dropping off intermittently for a couple minutes here and there. Not a big deal usually, but frustrating. I'm hoping the new system will have better performance.

Thanks for the feedback in advance.

We should be getting media share soon and 5.1 over HDMI. Should be in the next day or so. Enjoy Phase II, I can't wait for Phase III!

Is there somewhere on their website I can check out things like this, updates and what they contain? I'm guessing it's done by area so maybe the overall AT&T website won't be specific to my place. There should be an email notice or something, I wouldn't mind getting that.

Archived