AT&T U-Verse

Good Afternoon All,

Seeking some feedback, comments, and experience with switching over from Comcast to AT&T U-verse.

Or not worth it to sign another contract, drill more holes on the house for

cable and internet lines, and too new of a product to determine a good service?

Thank You

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We switched last month, TV and internet only. So far so good. It took them forever to get it here, they did all the line work in the alley in December, and it just became available in June.

Installation was easy enough, they just hook in to the cable lines in your house, we didn't need any drilling in the house. Maybe he did some junk out on the pole, I wasn't here to see. 4 hours total.

Internet is fast enough, no connectivity issues so far.

TV is better, the DVR is different and we're getting used to it. It all depends on your package on what it can do, how many recordings, etc. Overall we're saving $30/month and getting more HD channels, and more other channels that I like. The music channels, which we use often, are not as good. Maybe they will improve.

Definitely sign up online, there is crazy cash back ($250 when I did it).

We switched last month, TV and internet only. So far so good. It took them forever to get it here, they did all the line work in the alley in December, and it just became available in June.

Installation was easy enough, they just hook in to the cable lines in your house, we didn't need any drilling in the house. Maybe he did some junk out on the pole, I wasn't here to see. 4 hours total.

Internet is fast enough, no connectivity issues so far.

TV is better, the DVR is different and we're getting used to it. It all depends on your package on what it can do, how many recordings, etc. Overall we're saving $30/month and getting more HD channels, and more other channels that I like. The music channels, which we use often, are not as good. Maybe they will improve.

Definitely sign up online, there is crazy cash back ($250 when I did it).

My neighbor on E. 27th St. just got it.

Did anybody switch from DISH to Uverse? What is the cancellation fee?

Good Afternoon All,

Seeking some feedback, comments, and experience with switching over from Comcast to AT&T U-verse.

Or not worth it to sign another contract, drill more holes on the house for

cable and internet lines, and too new of a product to determine a good service?

Thank You

parents got it and so far good service. friend from work has it and it freezes up like mad.

they did tell my parents that having grounded outlets was a requirement. i ended up having to install two new grounded outlets for them.

I live in the Shady Acres area of the Heights and my Comcast cable went out. I called the 18002662278 number and they said the Heights area lost it. When it is returned, I am going to call Comcast and ask for credit.

I've had it for a week. TV and Internet. It's great. I didn't have Comcast tv service, but their internet sucked. It would drop off every couple of minutes. Not for long, just like 30-45 seconds. It was annoying, and they always insisted there was no problem.

How is the HD picture quality, and have you compared it to other services? My parents in SA and a friend in Sugar Land have UVerse, and the HD quality is subpar, IMO, at least compared to DirecTV. I like the idea of being able to sling your recorded shows between rooms, but it's not worth it to see SD-quality HD.

How is the HD picture quality, and have you compared it to other services? My parents in SA and a friend in Sugar Land have UVerse, and the HD quality is subpar, IMO, at least compared to DirecTV. I like the idea of being able to sling your recorded shows between rooms, but it's not worth it to see SD-quality HD.

I wonder how it compares to DISH's HD?

Donno. Can't compare to Comacast/DirecTV. I didn't have either previously. To my eye it's tack sharp. Comparable to the picture from the blue-ray HDMI signal. Certainly as good at OTA from the local stations broadcasting in 1080i. Its 1080i so it should be.

One thing to make sure of... My installer installed both HDMI and coax inputs from the box to the TV. Big difference when flipping between input two signals.

I've had U-verse for several months now and think it's great. Installation can take a while because if they have a problem 'up line' they've got to coordinate with the line guys to get that straightened out. It took three tries before they got it working.

Travelguy - Maybe they don't have the HD service. I've got the 200 package, but it isn't HD. That, 1 DVR, 1 WAP/Remote Box and internet runs +/-$100/mo. Plus, I got a $200 check in the mail and that was for new service, not by switching. This was obtained by signing up online.

I had Comcast previously at another location and I can say that AT&T customer service is superior.

I have Uverse and LOVE it. Sadly, they are incompetent and deciding which addresses it is available at (I am also a frequent poster in their forums).

We have the lowest internet package and experience no problems or frequent outtages (we used to lose Roadrunner all the time).

The DVR is unique (at least compared to Comcast - I think DirecTV runs similar technology). You only have 1 DVR and can access it from all TV's (but you need a small set top box for each TV). The base equipment (residential gateway) is also a wireless router.

In the next few weeks, Phase 2 will hit Houston. It has been rolled out in Dallas, Austin, and San An already. This gives will give you the ability to set recordings and delete programs from non-DVR TV's (currently you can only do that on the actual DVR TV). At some point in the future, Phase 3 will give the ability to pause/rewind/etc. live TV fon ANY TV (you can only currently do this on the DVR TV).

There are limits - if you're close enough to the node, you can only watch/record 2 HD shows and 2 SD shows at once. If you're too far it's 1 and 3. So on thursdays when we had 3 shows to record at once, I made my wife record Idol in SD. This is due to bandwwidth, AT&T pumps the channel out to your TV instead of ALL the channels like standard cable does. BTW, playback of a previously recorded show, because it is coming from the DVR and not 'outside' does not count against the bandwidth.

Feel free to ask anything I mad confusing.

I have Uverse and LOVE it. Sadly, they are incompetent and deciding which addresses it is available at (I am also a frequent poster in their forums).

We have the lowest internet package and experience no problems or frequent outtages (we used to lose Roadrunner all the time).

The DVR is unique (at least compared to Comcast - I think DirecTV runs similar technology). You only have 1 DVR and can access it from all TV's (but you need a small set top box for each TV). The base equipment (residential gateway) is also a wireless router.

In the next few weeks, Phase 2 will hit Houston. It has been rolled out in Dallas, Austin, and San An already. This gives will give you the ability to set recordings and delete programs from non-DVR TV's (currently you can only do that on the actual DVR TV). At some point in the future, Phase 3 will give the ability to pause/rewind/etc. live TV fon ANY TV (you can only currently do this on the DVR TV).

There are limits - if you're close enough to the node, you can only watch/record 2 HD shows and 2 SD shows at once. If you're too far it's 1 and 3. So on thursdays when we had 3 shows to record at once, I made my wife record Idol in SD. This is due to bandwwidth, AT&T pumps the channel out to your TV instead of ALL the channels like standard cable does. BTW, playback of a previously recorded show, because it is coming from the DVR and not 'outside' does not count against the bandwidth.

Feel free to ask anything I mad confusing.

I think I will stick with DISH for now, at least until phase 3. WIth the dish, I have DVR capability on two tvs and can watch and record from either of those two.

I think I will stick with DISH for now, at least until phase 3. WIth the dish, I have DVR capability on two tvs and can watch and record from either of those two.

All my neighbors are getting Uverse, but it shows it as not available at my address...what's up with that? :angry:

I'm on 25th just east of Yale and I got U-verse about three weeks ago. Yankee is right about one-hand not knowing about the other with regard to where it's available, so don't assume it's not available unless you call and talk to someone directly.

The installation outside your house is done through your telephone box, so it's a simple install if you already have an ATT landline. Inside your house, they again go through your landline connection. I was using them for DSL, so my DSL modem was switched out for the fancy box, then they ran cable to the DVR and TV. The installer was willing to go through the wall, but I had him just give me enough cable to go along the baseboard because I didn't want to deal with the possibility of a big plaster patching job.

One of the neater features is the tie-in between the computer and the DVR that lets you remotely program the DVR from any computer, but I doubt I'll ever use that feature. But I'm satisfied with the picture and the channel selection and the ease of the installation and the fact that I don't have any equipment on my roof, and most of all, that I'm not doing business with Comcast.

All my neighbors are getting Uverse, but it shows it as not available at my address...what's up with that? :angry:

Just to clarify you can WATCH a recorded program on any TV (including pause, rewind, ff, etc) - you just can't schedule a recording or delete a recording from non-DVR TV's (yet - should be any day now) and you cannot pause or rewind live TV unless you're on the DVR TV (this feature will be 6+ months away IMHO).

As for your address, AT&T is under the belief if you type in 1234 Smith, every possible itteration will be returned - this is FALSE. Let's say you are 1234 W Smith St. #81, all of the following may come back as an exact match:

1234 Smith

1234 W Smith

1234 Smith #81

1234 W Smith St. #81

etc.

etc.

etc.

When you call in, this is exactly what their CSR uses, you MUST escalate to solve the issue. In my current apt. the unit directly below us (well, many units in our small complex) had AT&T but they kept telling me it was not available.

Just to clarify you can WATCH a recorded program on any TV (including pause, rewind, ff, etc) - you just can't schedule a recording or delete a recording from non-DVR TV's (yet - should be any day now) and you cannot pause or rewind live TV unless you're on the DVR TV (this feature will be 6+ months away IMHO).

As for your address, AT&T is under the belief if you type in 1234 Smith, every possible itteration will be returned - this is FALSE. Let's say you are 1234 W Smith St. #81, all of the following may come back as an exact match:

1234 Smith

1234 W Smith

1234 Smith #81

1234 W Smith St. #81

etc.

etc.

etc.

When you call in, this is exactly what their CSR uses, you MUST escalate to solve the issue. In my current apt. the unit directly below us (well, many units in our small complex) had AT&T but they kept telling me it was not available.

Living on a numbered street, I have had that battle for years. I am currently an AT&T customer, I type in my landline number, it spits out my address and says, "NO SOUP FOR YOU!"

Living on a numbered street, I have had that battle for years. I am currently an AT&T customer, I type in my landline number, it spits out my address and says, "NO SOUP FOR YOU!"

If you are ever interested I would call and escalate. I suspect (but have no basis in fact) the landline number connects right to the faulty address finder system, lol.

If you are ever interested I would call and escalate. I suspect (but have no basis in fact) the landline number connects right to the faulty address finder system, lol.

You gotta love the bad communication at the Communications companies.

Does anyone have any more advice on the U-verse internet service? Other than a couple of faster downstream offerings (12Mbps and 18Mbps) I'm not sure I see the advantage over DSL and the prices are about the same.

And there is a disadvantage - the phone line is no longer powered, so if you lose power and have an alarm system or landline phone, I guess you're cell is the only option? My landline phone turned out to be very handy during the power outages following Ike after my iPhone battery died and during Rita when my cell phone had no signal for days.

And there is a disadvantage - the phone line is no longer powered, so if you lose power and have an alarm system or landline phone, I guess you're cell is the only option? My landline phone turned out to be very handy during the power outages following Ike after my iPhone battery died and during Rita when my cell phone had no signal for days.

that must explain the battery backup at&t put at my parents.

that must explain the battery backup at&t put at my parents.

I don't understand. Why would the phone line not still carry voltage? The cable, internet and phone all use the same two wires.

I think that my DVR box has some sort of battery or continues to receive power, even with the plug strip turned off. A light stays illuminated when there is no A/C going to it.

I don't understand. Why would the phone line not still carry voltage? The cable, internet and phone all use the same two wires.

I think that my DVR box has some sort of battery or continues to receive power, even with the plug strip turned off. A light stays illuminated when there is no A/C going to it.

The landline does, but when it is a uverse phone, it is VOIP. (voice over internet protocol)

Yep. I was shopping around for service recently and on any given day, I would be a plausible customer... or not based on the website and my address. It's faulty and tempermental. When I called AT&T they had no problem setting me up.

The only reason I haven't switched yet is because my beloved TIVO won't work with AT&T from what I understand. I think there is a workaround somewhere on the 'net, but I haven't seen one that made sense yet.

The landline does, but when it is a uverse phone, it is VOIP. (voice over internet protocol)

Comcast phone line is voip, but I'm pretty sure AT&T is not. Hmm, that gives me something to research. I did not get the land line service.

Comcast phone line is voip, but I'm pretty sure AT&T is not. Hmm, that gives me something to research. I did not get the land line service.

I stand corrected.

Battery backup: All AT&T U-verse Voice plans include professional setup of a digital voice phone adapter, which includes an initial backup unit and initial battery to help maintain service in the case of a power outage.

I stand corrected.

Battery backup: All AT&T U-verse Voice plans include professional setup of a digital voice phone adapter, which includes an initial backup unit and initial battery to help maintain service in the case of a power outage.

I believe there is AT&T phone service (powered) and then Uverse phone service (VOIP). Two different services.

I believe there is AT&T phone service (powered) and then Uverse phone service (VOIP). Two different services.

That's correct. I currently have the AT&T landline but will switch to the AT&T UVerse VOIP phone service. I have a DSL. Is the Uverse a broadband internet service?

Good Afternoon,

hope your day is going well!

Thank You for all the comments.

So does the AT&T U-verse requiring new drilling of holes on the house for cable and internet lines ?

Someone mentioned about the electrical wiring of the home must all be updated and grounded ?

Is there an installation fee ? Do you have to have an AT&T phone line ?

Thank You

Archived