Alaska Airlines

HtownWxBoy

Link from Houston Chronical

Alaska Airlines will fly area skies for the first time Sept. 23 as it inaugurates nonstop service between Seattle and Houston's Bush Intercontinental Airport.

Seattle-based Alaska Airlines is the 9th-largest domestic carrier, serving more than 90 cities including Dallas-Fort Worth.

The carrier also said Wednesday it will enter the Atlanta market for the first time, beginning Oct. 23.

Travelers who fly on the new routes during their first two months of operation will earn double frequent flier miles, the airline said.

I really like Alaska Airlines. They even give you real silverware for you meals!

So does Continental on long flights.

This is good news about Alaska, as it will help lower fares between IAH and Seattle and Anchorage.

• 4 months later...

Beats my previous money saver flight plans to Alaska: Take Southwest to Love Field, hop a shuttle to DFW, catch the flight to Seattle and then on to Juneau. Houston direct to Seattle makes much more sense. I wish they'd thought of this several years ago.

That is great news! Continental needs some competition for this route. It looks like they've already lowered their fares dramatically -- $198 round trip. Last time I flew to SEA it was almost $500 well in advance.

The bad news is that the Continental/Alaska Air code shares are going away, which means flights to anywhere except Seattle and Anchorage will not earn miles.

I was just in Seattle recently, and surprised by the mindshare that Alaska Airlines has in that market.

Alaska has its own security lines at SEA for regular shuttle customers as well as first class and frequent flyers. When I was booking my hotel and giving my flight information to the clerk to hold the room for late check-in (red eye flight), he assumed it was an Alaska Airlines flight. When I told the shopgirl at Nordstrom to run my check card as credit not debit so I'd get (American) miles, she said, "I've never seen a blue Alaska card before."

I don't remember Continental in Houston or United in Chicago or even Northwest in the Twin Cities having such top-of-mind recall. I'm not sure where it comes from because there wasn't all that much Alaska Airlines advertising around that I noticed.

• The title was changed to Alaska Airlines

Archived