How many stories, 1 1/2, or 2?

I'm trying to determine how many stories my place has. The first floor has 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, small front foyer, formal living room, den, dining room, kitchen, 2 car garage, and a garage apartment with a bathroom. The second floor contains only the master bedroom and bath. Considering that the 2nd floor only has one bedroom, I suppose that doesn't quite make it a full story, but rather 1/2 a story, correct?

It doesn't have to be an attic conversion. If the roof comes down to the top of the first floor it is commonly called a 1 1/2 story. My house in North Carolina had a roof along the front elevation that was clearly one story, but the back had dormers all along the roof. There were 3 bedrooms and a full bath on the 2nd floor, but it was called a 1 1/2 story.

Here's a pic of my old house. It has been drastically remodeled, but the roofline is still there.

2054984139_9239d5f561_m.jpg

I like that style house...I'd like to know, as well. 1&.5 or 2-story? Read somewhere about the deed restrictions requiring 2 stories in (parts of ?) Riverside, that's why some of the mod's have a small second story incorporated into the design.

Archived