HISD Proof of Residency

Ross

HISD wants a copy of a utility bill as proof of residency to enroll a child. I don't want to give them that sort of data, as it's none of their business. So far HISD hasn't provided a copy of the School Board action establishing a utility bill as minimum proof of residency. Has anyone ever fought this before? I know, it's pretty petty, but there's enough public record data to prove where we live that I don't see their point.

I don't want to give them that sort of data, as it's none of their business.

I'm glad to see that HISD is being a good steward of my property tax dollars. Considering that your bank and credit card companies are selling your social security number and credit information to companies across the globe, if you find showing a utility bill to the school district that is providing a free education to your child to be too much of an invasion of your privacy, home schooling may be an attractive alternative.

This is a standard operating procedure.

The Houston ISD website states that a utility bill is needed to enroll your child: http://www.houstonisd.org/HISDConnectDS/v/...00052147fa6RCRD "proof of your identity and residential address (driver’s license and utility bill);"

I'll look at other district websites and compare them to HISD...

* Aldine ISD http://www.aldine.k12.tx.us/sections/paren...orm/english.cfm "Proof of residential address in parent’s / guardian’s name. Possible documents that can be used are utility bills (with the exception of telephone), mortgage closing papers, lease agreements, etc."

* Alief ISD: http://www.aliefisd.net/site_res_view_temp...21-50d815c22e30 "Two proofs of residence (deed, lease, bank statement, and/or most recent utility bill)"

* Clear Creek ISD http://www2.ccisd.net/Departments/PublicIn...nformation.aspx "Two Proofs of Residency in the Clear Creek Independent School District: Current Deed to a house in the name of the Adult seeking to enroll a child, or Current mortgage or payment book, Signed apartment lease in the name of the adult seeking to enroll a child, AND A copy of a current electric bill, or Water utility bill for the address identified."

* Fort Bend ISD http://www.fortbendisd.com/parentlinks/enrollchild.cfm "proof of residence including a deed or a lease agreement and a recent utility bill,"

* Katy ISD http://www.katyisd.org/files/parents/Accep..._Enrollment.pdf "Any of the following documents containing the name of the parent/guardian and street address are acceptable for proof of residency for initial enrollment purposes: 1. A recent utility bill (other than a phone or cable bill) with parent/guardian’s name and street address; 2. House or apartment lease agreement*; or 3. An earnest money or purchase contract and a letter from a mortgage company indicating loan approval or proof from the home builder/realtor of cash payment verification*."

* Pasadena ISD http://www.pasadenaisd.org/studentsvcs/frame.htm "A current deed, a mortgage, a mortgage payment book, or an apartment lease, and a utility bill (present or previous month) to establish residence within the school district"

* Spring Branch ISD http://wve.springbranchisd.com/About/Enrol...06/Default.aspx "1. Proof of residency (provide one): *Lease *Mortgage papers *Tax Bill (Not utility bills)"

* Stafford MSD http://www.stafford.msd.esc4.net/parentenrollmentinfo.aspx "Proof of Residency (i.e. mortgage contract, lease agreement, rent receipt)"

North Forest ISD does not state what it considers to be proof of residency: http://www.nfisd.org/default.aspx?name=ccr.register

HISD wants a copy of a utility bill as proof of residency to enroll a child. I don't want to give them that sort of data, as it's none of their business. So far HISD hasn't provided a copy of the School Board action establishing a utility bill as minimum proof of residency. Has anyone ever fought this before? I know, it's pretty petty, but there's enough public record data to prove where we live that I don't see their point.

I'm glad to see that HISD is being a good steward of my property tax dollars.

Well put. School Districts routinely will accept the children of its employees if they live outside of the District, but aside from that exception, they really should hold firm on a residency requirement. And a utility bill is not an unreasonable way to affirm this. Not only does it give them an address they can work with, but it is more reliable than a parent's driver's license. A parent may be willing to present an old ID, but if they're required to present a recent utility bill, well that's much more difficult to pull off.

Well put. School Districts routinely will accept the children of its employees if they live outside of the District, but aside from that exception, they really should hold firm on a residency requirement. And a utility bill is not an unreasonable way to affirm this. Not only does it give them an address they can work with, but it is more reliable than a parent's driver's license. A parent may be willing to present an old ID, but if they're required to present a recent utility bill, well that's much more difficult to pull off.

HISD allows out of district residents to attend for no charge if they are accepted. But there are some things:

1. No free transportation

2. Out of district people have to get into an HISD school; they are accepted LAST, after the HISD-zoned kids and the children of HISD employees

I don't want to show a utility bill because, as I said, it's none of their business how big our bill is or who we have our utilities with. Besides, I think we've gone paperless on the utilities. We pay a bunch of HISD taxes on our house, where we live, and proof of ownership ought to be enough to satisfy the requirement. The fact we own the house is public record, as are the taxes, and I'll even toss in voter registration, also public record. What would happen if we had bad credit and put the utilities in one of our parent's names?

Besides the above, all a utility bill proves is that you pay the utilities for a specific location. I could be renting out my house in HISD to someone, but keep the utilities in my name. The whole thing is a stupid bureaucratic mindgame.

I don't want to show a utility bill because, as I said, it's none of their business how big our bill is or who we have our utilities with.

If you're so paranoid about that, why not just blacken that info out?

In case anyone is interested, my electric bill just arrived. It is $82. Last week, I got my water bill. It was $13.97. My DirecTV bill was $67.99. I can't remember the others, but if you'd like this very sensitive information, just post a request and I'll look for it.

:huh:

I don't want to show a utility bill because, as I said, it's none of their business how big our bill is or who we have our utilities with. Besides, I think we've gone paperless on the utilities. We pay a bunch of HISD taxes on our house, where we live, and proof of ownership ought to be enough to satisfy the requirement. The fact we own the house is public record, as are the taxes, and I'll even toss in voter registration, also public record. What would happen if we had bad credit and put the utilities in one of our parent's names?

Besides the above, all a utility bill proves is that you pay the utilities for a specific location. I could be renting out my house in HISD to someone, but keep the utilities in my name. The whole thing is a stupid bureaucratic mindgame.

So take a black marks alot and black out the information you want to protect. They could care less the cost of your utilities, they just need to see a bill from a utility company that shows your address. If this pisses you off, don't try to get a library card.

I am all for protesting the system when necessary, but pick your battles dude. None of us wants to pay the additional taxes for you to fight this one.

They could care less the cost of your utilities, they just need to see a bill from a utility company that shows your address.

Maybe Ross has converted his home into massive grow house. That'd explain an unusual utility bill, the motive to be so secretive, and also the chronic paranoia.

In case anyone is interested, my electric bill just arrived. It is $82. Last week, I got my water bill. It was $13.97. My DirecTV bill was $67.99. I can't remember the others, but if you'd like this very sensitive information, just post a request and I'll look for it.

:huh:

Red, please don't take offense to this and I apologize for de-railing the thread slightly, but do you really feel that you get sixty-eight bucks a month worth of value out of DirectTV? I ask you because it seems like I never have time to watch TV, just with normal broadcast channels. Or is the added content good enough that it becomes more of a priority to watch?

Red, please don't take offense to this and I apologize for de-railing the thread slightly, but do you really feel that you get sixty-eight bucks a month worth of value out of DirectTV? I ask you because it seems like I never have time to watch TV, just with normal broadcast channels. Or is the added content good enough that it becomes more of a priority to watch?

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll answer... as much as I hate paying my Comcast bill, it is worth every penny for Bravo TV. I love every one of those stupid reality shows they run. Yes, my work has suffered as a result of my obsessive watching of the "Top chef", "Real Housewives," and "Make me a Supermodel" marathons. But I don't care. I am hooked.

HISD can be a delicate flower for enrollment...I moved up here from near McAllen my mom tried to enroll me and they wanted MORE than just the utility bill. We hadn't been in Houston more than a few days. We went to HISD headquarters and fought it. When i went to the school they did the same thing. After we explained the whole "we've been here 4 days...blah blah blah" they accepted me. It took about 1 week. Then the principal had the nerve to ask "So what took so long coming to register?!"

So take a black marks alot and black out the information you want to protect. They could care less the cost of your utilities, they just need to see a bill from a utility company that shows your address. If this pisses you off, don't try to get a library card.

I am all for protesting the system when necessary, but pick your battles dude. None of us wants to pay the additional taxes for you to fight this one.

I got a library card without a utility bill. And, I'll probably give in and show the utility bill to HISD with everything except the company name and our name blacked out. I just won't like doing it.

I got a library card without a utility bill. And, I'll probably give in and show the utility bill to HISD with everything except the company name and our name blacked out. I just won't like doing it.

Unfortunately, we all have those things we have to do but don't like. One of mine is buying gas. It is a task that has no end. I will never be done with it until I die. Same with buying groceries. But again, we pick our battles. I have a sister that battles EVERYTHING that she finds annoying and it is exhausting to be near her.

Happy day!

What is it on your gas bill, that you would be afraid of ? There is no SSN, no DL, no credit info, nothing but your name and address, and a few numbers that no one at the school could make heads or tails of. No one at the school gives a rat's patootie how much your bill is, but take the suggestion of using a Sharpie Marker and blacken out the amount if it means that much to you. Your paranoia seems unfounded, quit holding up your kid's education and for Pete's sake, take off that tinfoil hat ! :mellow:

tinfoil-hat.jpg

What is it on your gas bill, that you would be afraid of ? There is no SSN, no DL, no credit info, nothing but your name and address, and a few numbers that no one at the school could make heads or tails of. No one at the school gives a rat's patootie how much your bill is, but take the suggestion of using a Sharpie Marker and blacken out the amount if it means that much to you. Your paranoia seems unfounded, quit holding up your kid's education and for Pete's sake, take off that tinfoil hat ! :mellow:

tinfoil-hat.jpg

It is so obviously Friday!

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll answer... as much as I hate paying my Comcast bill, it is worth every penny for Bravo TV. I love every one of those stupid reality shows they run. Yes, my work has suffered as a result of my obsessive watching of the "Top chef", "Real Housewives," and "Make me a Supermodel" marathons. But I don't care. I am hooked.

I didnt know my wife was on this website. Hi Honey!

Maybe Ross has converted his home into massive grow house. That'd explain an unusual utility bill, the motive to be so secretive, and also the chronic paranoia.

My thoughts exactly.

But if Ross is smart, he put the electricity under a fake name, which would also explain why he can't use the electric bill to register in HISD.

Ross, never use your real name on lease agreements or utilities, and never grow in your own home! Everybody knows that! :)

My thoughts exactly.

But if Ross is smart, he put the electricity under a fake name, which would also explain why he can't use the electric bill to register in HISD.

Ross, never use your real name on lease agreements or utilities, and never grow in your own home! Everybody knows that! :)

Nothing unusual growing at our house, and our bills are nothing special. I just find the idea that a utility bill is proof of residency laughable and the requirement to show one annoying. Bureaucrats tend to come up with annoying rules - HISD needs to come up with one that says proof of home ownership meets the residency requirement, especailly if there is a homestead exemption.

I am rather surprised at the discussion this raised.

Nothing unusual growing at our house, and our bills are nothing special. I just find the idea that a utility bill is proof of residency laughable and the requirement to show one annoying. Bureaucrats tend to come up with annoying rules - HISD needs to come up with one that says proof of home ownership meets the residency requirement, especailly if there is a homestead exemption.

I am rather surprised at the discussion this raised.

There are a lot of things in this world that don't make sense. You gotta pick your battles.

It doesn't make sense that hot dogs are sold in packages of 10, and hot dog buns in packages of 12, but it's been that way for thousands of years...I'm not going to spend my time fighting the meat processors and the bakeries to correct this, and I'm certainly not going to stop eating hot dogs over it.

Sometimes it just is.

Na, I think if someone wants to spend his/her time fighting small battles, have at it.

I don't see the problem of a utility bill, though - it seems easiest to require across the board since there are a lot of non-homeowner residents in HISD territory.

Maybe HISD is on some kind of power trip because they rarely get to hassle people about getting in.

Usually it's the other way around and it's the other districts that hassle Houston residents who want to get out.

Ross, do you happen to live in North Forest? Is that the problem? LOL

Usually it's the other way around and it's the other districts that hassle Houston residents who want to get out.

Ross, do you happen to live in North Forest? Is that the problem? LOL

1. The City of Houston doesn't have the same boundaries as Houston ISD, so technically that would be "it's the other districts that hassle Houston ISD residents who want to get out"

2. I seriously think that North Forest should be forcefully annexed into Houston ISD and/or Aldine ISD. The only way that NFISD would remain viable as a district is if the stewardship currently in charge started attracting people to live in the district.

Archived