The Forum Is Once Again On Line

editor

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow.  1/2 TB?  That's a big ass database....espescially considering how small our little forum was (and even smaller now).  Too bad you didn't have it in place sooner.

So what exactly did they do?  Drop all the tables, scramble the data ??  Is data recovery an option?  Any of our readers work for a data recovery company?

Oh yah....WOO HOO, MY MEMBER NUMBER IS LOWER!  :)

The 1/2 TB is just so I can keep daily copies. I'll set up a cron job to make backups daily and keep about a month's worth on the drive. Of course, there's more to the enterprise than just the forum. There's Houston Architecture Info,

Chicago Architecture Info,

New York Architecture Info,

ViennaArchitecture.at,

Prague Architecture Info,

and the biggest of them all -- Glass Steel and Stone.

Naturally, since I run them all by myself, some have gotten more attention than others. For some reason, every time a visit somewhere I have a hard time resisting starting a web site for it.

Some day I hope to get some volunteers to help write and take pictures. But I intend to fill them all out eventually, even if I have to do it on my own.

Coming soon:

LondonArchitecture.co.uk

ChineseArchitecture.cn

Tokyo Architecture Info

The HAIF database was 44 megs uncompressed, but as it's all text it should compress quite nicely.

What the vandal did was run through a couple of the index tables and overwrite every third entry. It's been an exhausting weekend, so I'm content to just put the old database behind us and start fresh. With 70 people signing back on in just two days, I think we have a good chance of seeing this forum return to its former glory.

3 Posts. THREEEEE freek'n posts. I was approaching 1,500 posts and was looking forward to that day when I would have two thousand one hundred and twelve posts.

I feel like an amature now.

3 Posts.  THREEEEE freek'n posts.  I was approaching 1,500 posts and was looking forward to that day when I would have two thousand one hundred and twelve posts.

I feel like an amature now.

Hey man, I've been around here since 2002 and have a big EIGHT posts to show for it. <_< So my new motto is Quality Not Quantity, since I'll never catch up now! :o

i noticed that a handful of peeps in this forum like to run up their post stats with one or two word replies. I don't see the point to having the number of posts listed. It seems to be more of an egometer. Quality, not quantity.

Regardless, I like this forum and the people that contribute to it. Glad to see that it's back up.

I think I'm still in denial or withdrawal or whatever. :(

For a while, I thought I had been banned without being told of it. :D

While I was gone, I had to go somewhere, so I found so new websites/boards to look at, (although nothing comes close to the level of professionalism of production on this forum), and so here are some of them:

FreeCycle

ForSaleInHouston

MovingHouston

MET_Houston

and, of course, my perennial favorite obsession:

UnitedToSaveOurSpring

Thanks again, Wayne, for all your hard work, we really do appreciate you! :)

i noticed that a handful of peeps in this forum like to run up their post stats with one or two word replies.  I don't see the point to having the number of posts listed.  It seems to be more of an egometer.  Quality, not quantity.

It's easy to say that when you're Smith Street.

Just wait 'till you're Williams Tower. :P

Hey Guys its me "Texasgurl" with a new name change ;) But I came back too!! I love reading bout y'all even if I don't post sometimes!

I love the International part of this board AND the Dallas vs. Houston nitpicks! (Hilarious!!) and the pictures (so I can show my out of town friends)

:)

Thanks for a great board to come home to where I don't feel attacked online by people who love to pick fights with me!! its SO welcoming!

I'm glad its back. It feels like its been months. I was afraid it had gotten shut down because first it had that message that something had gone wrong, but then later it had that internet optomizer page so I thought the name had been bought.

To bad I missed it yesterday, I could have gotten a lower member number. :P But I guess I like 101.

I think I'm still in denial or withdrawal or whatever.  :(

For a while, I thought I had been banned without being told of it.  :D

While I was gone, I had to go somewhere, so I found so new websites/boards to look at, (although nothing comes close to the level of professionalism of production on this forum), and so here are some of them:

FreeCycle

ForSaleInHouston

MovingHouston

MET_Houston

and, of course, my perennial favorite obsession:

UnitedToSaveOurSpring

Thanks again, Wayne, for all your hard work, we really do appreciate you!  :)

I thought this too!

Thanks for all the hard work to get the site back in order. Everyone needs to be patient though. It will take several to many months to get the quality and quantity of information established again.

I need info on posting photographs on this forum. I may have missed it but I find no help in the help section. I know I can not take them from my own PC but only from another website. Are there any ways to get around making your own website to post a photo?

Thanks for all the hard work to get the site back in order.  Everyone needs to be patient though.  It will take several to many months to get the quality and quantity of information established again.

I need info on posting photographs on this forum.  I may have missed it but I find no help in the help section.  I know I can not take them from my own PC but only from another website.  Are there any ways to get around making your own website to post a photo?

You don't need to have a web site to post your photos. You just need somewhere to store them online. Most ISPs give each customer a certain amount of web space they can use for their personal home pages. All you have to do is upload it to that space and then type the proper address into the URL dialogue that pops up when you click the IMG button. It's not as hard as it sounds. Which ISP are you using?

Archived