Littering Throwing Garbage Out Of Cars

Jax

What they need is a number where you could just text the license number of the car. After a couple of offenses slap them with a serious fine.

The only problem with that is it being abused by pranksters. Can't you see some dumb teen repeatedly texting his school principal's license plate number, or a jealous person envying someone's success repeatedly texting the number so they would get a fine?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just realized how so many people throw their cigarettes on the ground around here. While waiting for the Metro Rail home from the Medical Center the other day, I saw like 5 people throw cigarettes onto the street/tracks. If you look closely at most metro rail stations there's a large collection of butts under the rails. At least they are small, but the idea of throwing anything type of garbage the street still makes me mad.

The smokers definitely know people are watching because they were doing it at the crowded metro station, but somehow it seems to be accepted because nobody complained (including me). I probably should have though.

I have noticed this for a long time, I started a short topic on it last year. It pisses me off, they should be burned with the butts they toss.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...showtopic=15386

:doh: You are not supposed to smoke on the rail platforms or any Metro bus stop at all. I once got off at Preston and was lighting a cig as I was walking off the platform. I was confronted by a Metro cop and nearly ticketed. He was unnecessarity agressive (he was training a rookie). I asked to see the no-smoking sign; it's about the size of a nickle stuck on something as you enter.

We smokers often talk about the lack of receptacles. If they had them, we'd use them. My building does not provide receptacles; they say that would encourage people to smoke. Give me a break. We are encouraged by the sweeper guy to throw them on the ground because that keeps him with a job. Seem backward to me. Wouldn't he be the same guy that would empty the receptacle??

I will admit that I'm guilty of throwing butts out of the window. If my car had an ashtray in my car, I'd use it.

I remember reading something a while back that said the butts were micro litter, whatever that means. I would never think of throwing anything bigger that my butt out the window.

Regarding a snitch hotline, I'm not aware. There is a number to call to report smoking cars, but I don't think that they rolled that out properly. Most don't even know about it. As summer appoaches keep an eye out for smoke billowing from cars and trucks. Hack :doh:

My car doesn't have an ashtray either, though (in older cars of mine, it was a great change receptacle!) so I guess that's where these come in handy:

http://www.smokeless-ashtray.net/carashtray.html

As for throwing the butts on the ground, it may be micro (like a small plastic wrapper or something), but trash is trash. If there's someone sweeping in a designated area they'll sweep up the bags of chips that was tossed too, but that shouldn't encourage people to litter..

My car doesn't have an ashtray either, though (in older cars of mine, it was a great change receptacle!) so I guess that's where these come in handy:

http://www.smokeless-ashtray.net/carashtray.html

As for throwing the butts on the ground, it may be micro (like a small plastic wrapper or something), but trash is trash. If there's someone sweeping in a designated area they'll sweep up the bags of chips that was tossed too, but that shouldn't encourage people to litter..

I must have one, I'll order it right now. Is it still okay to ash out of the window? I want to do my part.

Chip bags don't stink when you bring them back to your desk garbage can, butts do. I wish I could kick the habit.

I always kept a diet coke can (with a little liquid still in it) in a cup holder and used that for butts. Less messy and far less smelly than the ashtray.

Just don't get your drink containers confused!

Did it have to be a diet coke can? That is the method I always use at the beach, but it is generally a beer can. How is your not smoking going?

I ordered two of those ashtrays from Sevfiv's post, one for the car and one for the stoop. I vow to never micro litter again except for areas maintained by sweepers.

Did it have to be a diet coke can? That is the method I always use at the beach, but it is generally a beer can. How is your not smoking going?

I ordered two of those ashtrays from Sevfiv's post, one for the car and one for the stoop. I vow to never micro litter again except for areas maintained by sweepers.

Not so much as a single, cheatin' drag! Good for you on your no-micro litter vow!

Not so much as a single, cheatin' drag! Good for you on your no-micro litter vow!

I quit smoking 15 years ago on April 19. Hardest and best thing I ever did! Hang in there, it really does get easier.

I guess we shouldn't schedule a HAIF happy hour anytime soon. That could blow your progress.

:lol: But I'm drinking as much as ever. Correct, you and Red are bad influences on me. I'll have to rely on the other, nonsmoking haifers to help me stay distracted and inside.

Speaking of litter, some ass-hat dumped 2 old tires in the gutters on my street. Grrr.

Yes, Houston is one of the most littered cities in America, but what can you expect when everything was built so ugly for so long? What's one more piece of trash in the face of rusty freeway columns, billboards, feeder roads and 1970s apartment complexes? Even in the newer suburbs, like the instaslums along Fry Road north of I-10, litter is bad because of all the cheap new houses and concrete-concrete-concrete-plain beige stucco box strip malls. What beautiful landscape are we trying to protect from litter?

That being said, no matter where I am, litter makes my blood boil.

• 2 weeks later...

This morning, I watched some moron about two cars ahead of me at the light at Holcombe @ Alameda open the driver's side door and literally turn his fast food bag upside down to dump the contents out right on the street (food, napkins, french fry carton, drink, etc...). I snapped. I honked my horn and raised my arms in a "WTF" manner. The dude shut his door, rolled down his window and gave me the finger. So, I rolled down my window and told him he was trash. He then decided to throw another bag out of his car window. When the light turned green, he flew over into my lane and slammed on his breaks and shot me the finger again.

So, I decided to call the city's 3-1-1 line to report this douchebag. I was bumped around on the phone about ten different times before I was finally just lost in the system/hung up on. I texted myself his plates and I am thinking I will do some research and find my own justice.

This morning, I watched some moron about two cars ahead of me at the light at Holcombe @ Alameda open the driver's side door and literally turn his fast food bag upside down to dump the contents out right on the street (food, napkins, french fry carton, drink, etc...). I snapped. I honked my horn and raised my arms in a "WTF" manner. The dude shut his door, rolled down his window and gave me the finger. So, I rolled down my window and told him he was trash. He then decided to throw another bag out of his car window. When the light turned green, he flew over into my lane and slammed on his breaks and shot me the finger again.

So, I decided to call the city's 3-1-1 line to report this douchebag. I was bumped around on the phone about ten different times before I was finally just lost in the system/hung up on. I texted myself his plates and I am thinking I will do some research and find my own justice.

You can report him to the police for shooting the finger.

At least send his information to the report a litterer web site. Who knows, even a nasty d-bag may have a huge epiphany/life changing experience when the Don't Mess With Texas trash bag arrives in the mail :P

Good idea, Sev. I was hoping that the City's 3-1-1 line would have a report a litter bug line. They should add that. The next mayor should add that to her/his platform.

And Emme, I am totally down with that. I was thinking of buying the shoe polish that you can write on car windows with (doesn't cause damage) and finding his car and tagging the windows. Wrapping his yard and hosing it down might be fun too. Maybe we can do it as part of the HAIF happy hour!

I was at Jack in the box last night waiting on my mini sirloin burgers, and this idiot in front of me dumps trash right out of door. What made things worse, there was a 50 gallon trash can right in front of him. If I didn't have my wife and kids with me I would have done something that probably would land me in jail. The one positive was the oppurtunity to show my kids what not to do with trash.

The city really needs to create a viable process to report, and prosecute these people.

I was at Jack in the box last night waiting on my mini sirloin burgers, and this idiot in front of me dumps trash right out of door. What made things worse, there was a 50 gallon trash can right in front of him. If I didn't have my wife and kids with me I would have done something that probably would land me in jail. The one positive was the oppurtunity to show my kids what not to do with trash.

The city really needs to create a viable process to report, and prosecute these people.

Back before we all got so gun crazy, I would have gotten out of my car and taken it back to him. Can't do that nowadays. I have an idea, carry a bullhorn in your car. Then you can announce, "Litterer, dirty stinking litter, can walk the five feet to put his trash in the can!" and then drive off really really fast.

Back before we all got so gun crazy, I would have gotten out of my car and taken it back to him. Can't do that nowadays. I have an idea, carry a bullhorn in your car. Then you can announce, "Litterer, dirty stinking litter, can walk the five feet to put his trash in the can!" and then drive off really really fast.

Maybe it's the quick temper in me, but I don't think I would drive off after using the bull horn, unless he showed his 45. What I should have done, and it just now crossed my mind, was get out of the car, and pick the trash up right in front of him. Of course a guy like that probably has little conscience so what good would it do.

I'm still waiting for some crafty inventor to come out with a message board with LEDs that can be pre-programmed with messages to address common behaviors, including aggressive driving, tailgating, littering, use of high beams in the city, turn signals that don't get use, or turn signals that people don't realize they have on. It shouldn't be that difficult or expensive.

Maybe it's the quick temper in me, but I don't think I would drive off after using the bull horn, unless he showed his 45. What I should have done, and it just now crossed my mind, was get out of the car, and pick the trash up right in front of him. Of course a guy like that probably has little conscience so what good would it do.

If there was anybody in the car with him, especially a girlfriend or significant other, your action might not affect him as much as it would affect her. And she'll affect him.

I agree. A program to stop the litter should be started and available on 3-1-1.

But, my cell won't dial 3-1-1. I guess I should call T-Mob.

WE MUST STOP THIS PLIGHT NOW!

Archived