Affordable Housing On Old Richmond Rd.

jrc

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NIMBY :(

This is why I live in the Heights and not in Sugarland (yes, one word, as it was originally intended). In my neighborhood we have low medium and upper income and for the most part we live well amongst each other. Where would you have "them" live?

Since this thread is revived, I'll go ahead and post updates.

The downtown hearing in April had a huge showing. Thanks Sugar Land!

There is now a new community organization created in opposition of the proposed Goldshire Townhomes. Big thanks to all the area HOA leaders who have worked hard on this

http://www.united77498.org

As well as a twitter page

http://twitter.com/United77498

And a facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=93063828560

Everyone in Sugar Land has until June 15th to contact TDHCA with their complaints if they haven't yet already. Details on how to do that can be found on the above pages. The decision by TDHCA will be made the following month.

NIMBY :(

This is why I live in the Heights and not in Sugarland (yes, one word, as it was originally intended). In my neighborhood we have low medium and upper income and for the most part we live well amongst each other. Where would you have "them" live?

I'm calling you out. The Heights is one of Houston's most desirable neighborhoods, and I can guarantee you that if some developer could even afford the land to throw up a high-density, low-income development there, your neighborhood would be up in arms. Of course, you know this won't happen, because the land is too expensive. So it's easy for you to sit back and insult those of us who choose to live in the suburbs. NIMBY? Damned right! That's why I live here.

Oh, and where would I have "them" live? How about near some sort of public transportation?

By the way, I grew up in Sugar Land. It might've been one word at some point in its history, but it has been two words for as long as I can remember.

I'm calling you out. The Heights is one of Houston's most desirable neighborhoods, and I can guarantee you that if some developer could even afford the land to throw up a high-density, low-income development there, your neighborhood would be up in arms. Of course, you know this won't happen, because the land is too expensive. So it's easy for you to sit back and insult those of us who choose to live in the suburbs. NIMBY? Damned right! That's why I live here.

Oh, and where would I have "them" live? How about near some sort of public transportation?

By the way, I grew up in Sugar Land. It might've been one word at some point in its history, but it has been two words for as long as I can remember.

Almost every apartment complex in/near the Heights is low income housing. I wouldn't mind one bit if all those trashy places just fell down (while empty). Yes, there are a few exceptions, but in general they are an eyesore. I get where you are coming from.

So what is the latest development with this project?? Is the sign still there?

The sign is down, but I am being told that the developer took it down to make people think the project had been canceled. That is not the case.

OK, you got me, I wouldn't want a high density any-income development in my neighborhood. And I will add, that while I may differ in opinion with you, I always respect people for standing up for what they want and believe rather than just complaining about it forever, so I support you (not that that means a hill of beans to you).

The sign is down, but I am being told that the developer took it down to make people think the project had been canceled. That is not the case.

Never believe it until you see it in writing!

Make sure Sobti *confirms* and *announces* the cancellation.

It's not canceled. The developer is still trying to get the state's money to build it.

I think it's a trick to throw people off. A dirty trick at that.

How do I know? Because I see the big "United77498.org" anti-Goldshire signs along some of the boulevards and have overheard conversations on the hoopla it's caused. Heck, I was over in Lake Olympia (Missouri City) the other day and there was a lady complaining about Goldshire and their foolishness going on in Sugar Land.

The TDHCA sign is back up on the property. When they tried to say it was taken down because the application was no longer moving forward, that was a lie.

Agree.... would also like to point out that low-income doesn't necessarily mean living in the type of dump complexes we're talking about. I can bash, because I'm low income.... probably lower than a lot of the people that would be living in this place in question.... and I have a house in Sugar Land (bought, not rented), a car note, a wife who doesn't work, and two kids (small ones that the wife is taking care of). It can be done. So the "low-income" people that are often attracted to these dumps are usually the types that have no desire to make anything of themselves, and no desire to make a better life for their kids. Sorry if this offends, but I'm in that income bracket, so I rub shoulders with a lot of these people. It isn't about the income level..... So I'll go ahead and throw my NIMBY in there, too.

Oh, and I also grew up in Sugar Land, and it's definitely always been two words.... that's how we distinguish the natives from the wannabe's.

Since this thread is revived, I'll go ahead and post updates.

The downtown hearing in April had a huge showing. Thanks Sugar Land!

There is now a new community organization created in opposition of the proposed Goldshire Townhomes. Big thanks to all the area HOA leaders who have worked hard on this

http://www.united77498.org

As well as a twitter page

http://twitter.com/United77498

And a facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=93063828560

Everyone in Sugar Land has until June 15th to contact TDHCA with their complaints if they haven't yet already. Details on how to do that can be found on the above pages. The decision by TDHCA will be made the following month.

Thanks for the update! I looked at those and contacted TDHCA with my own concerns on the matter.

As I said before, I live in Southwest Houston. The State funding of the project in Sugarland will steal money away from my area.

We've got apartment after apartment here, and too many of them are dumps. We need MONEY to FIX these existing apartments. But developers want to and use that money to impose low-cost housing on neighborhoods that don't want it.

Another thing, is it me or does the "Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs" neglect the "Community" part? I've been to their hearings, and I've seen the low cost housing proposals. I've yet to see a TDHCA hearing on a library, school, park, or other community asset.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. That developer pulled out because they didn't anticipate the negative backlash. I only wish it were that easy to convince the Goldshire developer to back down.

We're coming up on two weeks until all opposition letters are due.

If you've been on the fence about this or haven't gotten to it yet, now is the time. Tell all of your neighbors as well.

We found out the land seller for the site and his real estate selling agent sent in a letter of support to TDHCA from a fraudulent HOA to add points to the Goldshire Townhomes application. If you too believe this is deceptive and unethical, voice your concern to the TDHCA. We were able to get TDHCA remove those points, but the application still stands.

Send your objections to:

Sharon.Gamble@tdhca.state.tx.us

Robbye.Meyer@tdhca.state.tx.us

Fax: 512-475-0764

And/or by mail:

TDHCA

Multifamily Finance Division

P. O. Box 13941

Austin, TX 78711-3941

In these communications, please reference the development:

Goldshire Townhomes

16827 Old Richmond Rd, Sugar Land, 77498

File # 09166

Don't forget to include your full name, address and phone number so they'll know you're a real person and your complaint is counted!

What do you know about my neighborhood? I've got a lot of low income families living next to me. What makes you so special?

What do you mean by "low income"? Did they tell u where they work or how much $ they slang?

• 1 month later...

The TDHCA sign now has "CANCELLED" spray painted on it.

Interesting. I can almost guarantee none of the residents around here would have done that. Wouldn't be the least surprised if it was the land owner who was selling to Goldshire who did it, trying to save his butt after all the fake HOA letter controversy. He got on another forum posting it was "cancelled." Which is strange because TDHCA has the final say on funding, not him, and we're still waiting for their decision (should be any day now.)

I realized I never posted an update on here after the last hearing in Austin.

Three members of our group (United77498) traveled to Austin at the end of June to share what we've found in our investigations of Goldshire Development. A lot of highly suspicious information was found, and we shared all of this with TDHCA. After United77498 concluded their presentation, the Board said the TDHCA is engaged in an active investigation of Goldshire. They suspected that Goldshire would be disqualified. However, if Goldshire should somehow not be disqualified, the staff would not be recommending Goldshire’s approval. We hope to receive the final official decision soon.

Thanks to everyone who mailed in opposition letters. The final count was 2,605!

As far as future development in this area of Sugar Land, you can bet United77498 will be keeping watch. Some other good news: this particular area of Sugar Land has mostly Sugar Land postal addresses but is technically in Houston's ETJ (extraterritorial jurisdiction). It's only a small portion but includes subdivisions such as Orchard Lake Estates, Chelsea Harbour, Stratford Park, Summerfield, Village of Oak Lake, and Old Orchard (Richmond postal addresses). All of these are part of MUD 25, which is currently in negotiations with the City of Sugar Land for an ETJ swap. This means the area will likely be switched from Houston ETJ to Sugar Land ETJ, which will make it a candidate for future annexation by Sugar Land. But even just being in Sugar Land's ETJ will put some limits on undesirable development (although unincorporated Fort Bend County is still better than unincorporated Harris County, being that Fort Bend has stricter building codes and restrictions.)

Anyway, I will post more updates on Goldshire from TDHCA as I get them.

WWW.UNITED77498.ORG

Just received word from Robbye Meyer at TDHCA -

Likely due to pressure from area residents and revelations brought to light by the area civic group United77498, Goldshire has officially withdrawn their application as of today!

Thank you to everyone who took the time to send in opposition letters to TDHCA. Final count was 2,605 opposition letters!

You can bet United77498 will be keeping watch on future developments in this area and keep working for you, the residents. Stay tuned.

AK

www.united77498.org

Just received word from Robbye Meyer at TDHCA -

Likely due to pressure from area residents and revelations brought to light by the area civic group United77498, Goldshire has officially withdrawn their application as of today!

Thank you to everyone who took the time to send in opposition letters to TDHCA. Final count was 2,605 opposition letters!

You can bet United77498 will be keeping watch on future developments in this area and keep working for you, the residents. Stay tuned.

AK

www.united77498.org

I completely and totally disagree with what you have done, but I salute you for banding together as a community. Now maybe you can band together and come up with a solution to integrate the income levels that is less offensive to you.

I completely and totally disagree with what you have done, but I salute you for banding together as a community. Now maybe you can band together and come up with a solution to integrate the income levels that is less offensive to you.

The specific location was inappropriate and even dangerous for future residents of this development.

The situation is much more complex than most outsiders realize.

And what this means is that other, more deserving applicants will receive the tax credits instead, based off TDHCA's points system.

• The title was changed to Affordable Housing On Old Richmond Rd.

Archived