Internet Privacy...or not

I had never heard of the "deep web" until this article. It's a little bit more freaky than I thought. It could make a person NOT want to share this with friends and family in fear they'll find stuff on them. Sure, I always knew you could find stuff about people online...but this thing really searches good. Yikes...

Less obvious sources such as Amazon Wish Lists, Pandora playlists and movie rating sites fill in the colorful details that you may not have realized were out there at all -- things like (in my lawyer's case) an affinity for New Age jams and nasal maintenance.

article: http://tech.msn.com/products/articlepcw.as...mentid=18632762

http://www.spokeo.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_web

Anyone else find stuff on themselves they never found just by "googling" themselves?

Anyone else find stuff on themselves they never found just by "googling" themselves?

All the time :lol: Most is good though. Facebook is where I cannot believe some don't use better judgement.

Linked In is another one that should always be professional unless the person is an idiot. Many, and I do mean many employers use these sites to see what kind of a freak, or business like person you are...well at least while at work. Hee, hee

A lot shows up for my name, but very little related to me. Flikr, Myspace, Facebook, and a few of my relatives (since we use the family tree application on facebook).

But on some people search site, my myspace shows up, but it's a year & a half old. Old picture, old friends that where on my top, and their old photos. Even has me listed in Evanston, IL (when I went to Chicago). It has a lot of related "links" about me though. Like the standard info myspace asks (white, 6'1", etc.).

I didn't know that my name was so popular. It kinda makes sense though, some old civil war soilders in Louisiana. Then there's an NFL player, and some other crap.

All the time :lol: Most is good though. Facebook is where I cannot believe some don't use better judgement.

Linked In is another one that should always be professional unless the person is an idiot. Many, and I do mean many employers use these sites to see what kind of a freak, or business like person you are...well at least while at work. Hee, hee

Yes we do!

I am actually looking to hire a part time web person who actually 'gets' social networking. I WANT to see what kind of personality they exude in social networking arenas.

A lot shows up for my name, but very little related to me. Flikr, Myspace, Facebook, and a few of my relatives (since we use the family tree application on facebook).

But on some people search site, my myspace shows up, but it's a year & a half old. Old picture, old friends that where on my top, and their old photos. Even has me listed in Evanston, IL (when I went to Chicago). It has a lot of related "links" about me though. Like the standard info myspace asks (white, 6'1", etc.).

I didn't know that my name was so popular. It kinda makes sense though, some old civil war soilders in Louisiana. Then there's an NFL player, and some other crap.

Ditto, here. Evidence of my previous employers come up in the first or second pages of Google results, but aside from a little-used LinkedIn account, you have to be exploring each hit to verify which person I am. Apparently, Conde Nast's portfolio.com website qualifies me as a "top executive". Otherwise, there are too many geneological hits, military history hits, and then hits from all kinds of other people with the same name that have a footprint on the web, including doctors, lawyers, dentists, Texas historians (plural), an interior designer, a soldier, and so on.

...but if you know how to use Google properly, I'm really easy to find.

Yes we do!

I am actually looking to hire a part time web person who actually 'gets' social networking. I WANT to see what kind of personality they exude in social networking arenas.

Will alert you of upcoming Professional mixer's in a PM, but you must be present ...of course. Actually pics tell all but cannot divulge on this forum due to obvious reasons..nut cases for one. :lol:

Son of a hooker, I used to not come up with crap when I google me but now when I search, apparently there's some kid in California that designs video game something. He either stole my identity or has the same name. I'm gonna go find his ass.

Archived