Midtown Bar Refuse Gay People

BryanS

If i anyone shows up at a restaurant with 200 guests after RSVPing for 50, most of his guest are gonna be left out too..

Yah.. this is a non-issue..

It may have been an honest mistake or bad planning that led to this situation.. but for this group, or for an individual who supports this group, to turn it into an issue and to lie in the process to further his group's cause... underhanded and cheap

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still don't get it.

Guerilla Gay Bar's entire point is to show up as a surprise. It's NOT supposed to be a political event. You aren't supposed to call ahead and make reservations. It's about getting a group of people together and trying a new venue. It's about mixing with the regular bar crowd. It's about having a good time.

Seems as if this "organizer" missed the entire point or is just trying to make a name for him/herself at the expense of a place of business.

Guerilla Gay bar started in San Fran and has spread all over the country and this is the first time I've ever heard of something like this happening. I am sorry, but it still isn't passing the smell test. As an openly gay fella, I've gotta come down on the side of the bar for now.

From the bar's facebook:

He also mentions that they do indeed have a 117 person capacity. I don't remember how many were inside at 10 p.m. or so, but it was most certainly not empty. Sounds as if this was simply poor planning on the part of the "Guerrila Gay Bar" organizer

Appears that there is an actual news story on the matter:

KHOU Story

...from the KHOU link...

[The owner] said he plans to reach out to Houston

I still don't get it.

Guerilla Gay Bar's entire point is to show up as a surprise. It's NOT supposed to be a political event. You aren't supposed to call ahead and make reservations. It's about getting a group of people together and trying a new venue. It's about mixing with the regular bar crowd. It's about having a good time.

Seems as if this "organizer" missed the entire point or is just trying to make a name for him/herself at the expense of a place of business.

Guerilla Gay bar started in San Fran and has spread all over the country and this is the first time I've ever heard of something like this happening. I am sorry, but it still isn't passing the smell test. As an openly gay fella, I've gotta come down on the side of the bar for now.

This is Houston, Texas. I think it was prudent for them to provide an advanced notice, in this case... This was also their first event... In the future, they may have surprise visits, as you indicate.

That is exactly what the bar offered but if wasn't good enough for the event organizer.... guess he rather have turned this into an issue to further his cause than actually accommodate 1/4 of his guests.

I would like to hear from the organizer - and those three local-area Houston LBGT groups on Monday, after the meeting... There are always two sides to the story. I would not exonerate the owner, yet. It could be one huge misunderstanding; or something worse.

it's frustrating that the gay community prolongs the "we are victims" mentality by having "events" such as this. assimilate people. "events" are not required.

Funny, but as Kinkaid pointed out, the point of 'Guerilla Gay Bar' IS to assimilate. They infiltrate a straight bar and mingle, allowing straight patrons to see that the gays are just like them. This group was not attempting to do that. They blew it. And they get no sympathy from me.

Sounds like they need to guerilla-fy bigger places. 117 is pretty limiting.

At one time, yes. But over 4 to 6 hours... You can provide service to many more than that with people coming and going.

Again, if this person was told that they could take 50 now, and then filter in the rest... this should have been a non event...

I would like to hear from the organizer - and those three local-area Houston LBGT groups on Monday, after the meeting... There are always two sides to the story. I would not exonerate the owner, yet. It could be one huge misunderstanding; or something worse.

Well, i would not exonerate the organizer of the event or the person that falsified and distributed this original story yet.

Yes... something worse... on the part of the shmuck that started this and turned nothing into an issue.

.... or something worse.

That something worse appears to be the G&L community trying to make a political issue where there is none. They already have a Facebook page calling for a boycott of Union.

"Houston's Guerrilla Gay Bar organizers - the group that creates a problem, then claims to be victims of it."

*edit*

Needless to say, this story is spreading through the community very quickly. A quick Google search and I found two blogs carrying the following statement. I'm particularly interested in seeing what comes out about the last sentence.

A Facebook group has immediately sprung up to support a boycott of the Union Bar & Lounge. I'll admit that I'm surprised to learn that Houston has no LGBT protections for public accommodation. However, there may be more to this story. The nightclub is claiming that they are very gay friendly, but that their legal occupancy could not allow extra people in addition to a large private birthday planned for later in the evening. Additionally, some gay attendees are saying that our people unnecessarily harassed the door staff.

I'm very good friends with my next door neighbors on both sides, both are gay couples. I'll ask them what they're hearing about it.

Ummmm... How did security pick out "the Gays"? Were they wearing pink stars of David pinned to their chests?

I guess all of them were either feminine, wearing rainbow symbols, or saying "Miss Thing"

You can pick those out easily. :lol:

That something worse appears to be the G&L community trying to make a political issue where there is none. They already have a Facebook page calling for a boycott of Union.

"Houston's Guerrilla Gay Bar organizers - the group that creates a problem, then claims to be victims of it."

You can force people to accept you, but you can't force them to like you.

Yeah... Way to find your way into the hearts of strait people. This is not the way to go. Schmucks.

Um, the ENTIRE point of guerilla gay bar is to show up unannounced.

This doesn't pass the smell test. Me thinks this was a political publicity stunt.

It's sounds like a gay ambush. I don't think that promotes tolerance, rather an infestation.

Regardless if it was planned and coordinated ahead of time, or spontaneous. It was dumb to do it, and even dumber to be upset about it. It's a bar. . . get over it, go to another one.

The owner has a right to refuse service to anyone.

Why spend money and support a business that is SO anti-gay anyways?

He should be thankful anyone (or 150 people) wants to spend money in this crappy economy.

So if a bar owner decides to "economically punish himself" but refusing to serve blacks, I suppose that would be OK too. After all, why would they even want to go to a bar owned by a racist?

My thoughts exactly.

Actually, there is two groups, with about 700 people between them both. :rolleyes:

Again, it's just a bar people, take your money somewhere else that will gladly accept you.

Why spend money and support a business that is SO anti-gay anyways?

He should be thankful anyone (or 150 people) wants to spend money in this crappy economy.

Yeah.. Thanks for reading the whole thread, Puma, instead of propagating the fabricated story that this bar did something wrong.

The bar is not anti-gay. They are anti being shut down by the fire marshal.

As for turning away money in this environment.. they were at or near capacity. They were making as much money as they could get away with.

That something worse appears to be the G&L community trying to make a political issue where there is none.

Really? Three local LBGT organizations think there is an issue. They issued a joint press statement... question is: was it a misunderstanding or not? We haven't heard from "the other side" on this matter yet, in terms of a rebuttal, just the owner... who offers a very plausible explanation... after the fact.

Now... if these three groups went off into the deep end, prematurely... I will be the first to let them know about it, because they would have seriously damaged their credibility. I may even have to run for office, to clean house, after this fiasco - if it even is one.

...the comments look really interesting on the KHOU story... from people who were there... as are the facebook, myspace, and I am guessing twitter tweets going out...

Monday should be interesting, when this gets reconciled...

Really? Three local LBGT organizations think there is an issue. They issued a joint press statement... question is: was it a misunderstanding or not? We haven't heard from "the other side" on this matter yet, in terms of a rebuttal, just the owner... who offers a very plausible explanation... after the fact.

You have heard from the "other side"... the owner is the other side and his released defense against the group's press attack is all we need.

And your addition of the insinuating phrase "after the fact"... Yes.. most people defend themselves from an attack after the attack... That's how it works.

...the comments look really interesting on the KHOU story...
so do the pics put out there by the owner showing the place packed. here's a good one from yelp:

As an active member of the gay and lesbian community I need to chime in here. We targeted union bar last night as part of our gay awareness program. I really don't like to do this to "known" gay friendly bars. Union is gay friendly by the way! We had all met prior Thursday at Montrose Mining Company to discuss the plan. What we do is go to a straight bar and "rush' the door. Confuse eveyone and then cause a big scene to get people aware that in 2009 Gay pride is stronger then ever. To again promote gay awareness. Sadly some of my boys took it a little to far and started yelling at the door boys and managers. I understand that they never thought 150 gay men and women would come all at once. No one was turned away as I later found out they were full and couldn't let anyone else in. Myself and Devon came back to union later that night and had a really nice time. Loved the free shots! The music was good and everyone was having a good time without the drama we had caused prior in the evening. I for one will not take part of the Gay Bar awareness program. Its hurting business and we are taking it to far. Union Bar is 1000% Gay friendly.

Union Bar on behalf of the gay and lesbian community, myself and my partner, we apologize for the nonsense and silliness we caused last night.

Sounds like some Houston folks took the concept of Guerilla Gay Bar and corrupted it.

Raise awareness by "rushing the door" and causing confusion?

Is that really the awareness we want?

Sorry, but these folks sound like douchebags.

I participated in two Guerilla Gay Bars in Boston. It was really simple. Word spread about going to a "straight bar" and having a good time. You pay the cover. You buy drinks. You play pool and mingle. It wasn't about 150 people storming a doorman all at once. It wasn't about press releases or causing a scene. It was about RESPECTFUL INTERACTION and supporting businesses outside of the small gay circle.

That something worse appears to be the G&L community trying to make a political issue where there is none.

Really? Three local LBGT organizations think there is an issue.

FFS Bryan - here's the issue; If the owner wants to let in only people with long-sleeve shirts, or with red hair parted in the middle, or owners of domestic cars - he gets to do that. It's his place. The G&L community wanted to cause a situation & then paint themselves as victims - so they did. Even some of their own people, who were there, are saying the group went too far.

As Judah said earlier, they went looking for trouble and that's exactly what they found.

I pass by the place ever day on my way home from work, I'm stopping in this week to show my support. Enough already with the ****ing victims.

I go to straight (normal) bars to avoid gays... now, no where is safe!!

Do these people really think they'll get "acceptance" by shoving their lifestyle down people's throats? Sometimes people need to get over themselves... oh, how exotic, you're gay. Gay people go to non gay bars all the time. Infact, I often prefer them.

But since when do bars follow head count rules for fire safety? I don't speak for all bars, but usually they lie about the number of people in the place... that's what a lot of bouncer/bartender friends tell me. But 117 sounds like this is a small place, and small bars are no fun when over crowded.

Sounds like some Houston folks took the concept of Guerilla Gay Bar and corrupted it.

Raise awareness by "rushing the door" and causing confusion?

Is that really the awareness we want?

Sorry, but these folks sound like douchebags.

I participated in two Guerilla Gay Bars in Boston. It was really simple. Word spread about going to a "straight bar" and having a good time. You pay the cover. You buy drinks. You play pool and mingle. It wasn't about 150 people storming a doorman all at once. It wasn't about press releases or causing a scene. It was about RESPECTFUL INTERACTION and supporting businesses outside of the small gay circle.

...uhhh... but if they refused to let you in... you don't think that would have caught anybody's attention up there in Boston? I highly doubt that.

The organizer is responsible for his small group. Which he had an RSVP for. Why can't other patrons enter the premises, after his party is seated? Is it an RSVP ONLY establishment?

The press release, I referenced, indicated 100 people turned away. Not "hundreds." Not 150. About 100, which is also the number quoted in the KHOU video, but misprinted in the text... given this number, it could have easily been accommodated, over the course of the night. Or, since the bar was empty at 9:45-10:00 p.m... pretty much everyone and anyone could have gone in especially since the owner now claims that he does not enforce male/female ratios or would turn anyone away due to their sexual orientation.

Really? Three local LBGT organizations think there is an issue.

FFS Bryan - here's the issue; If the owner wants to let in only people with long-sleeve shirts, or with red hair parted in the middle, or owners of domestic cars - he gets to do that. It's his place. The G&L community wanted to cause a situation & then paint themselves as victims - so they did. Even some of their own people, who were there, are saying the group went too far.

As Judah said earlier, they went looking for trouble and that's exactly what they found.

I pass by the place ever day on my way home from work, I'm stopping in this week to show my support. Enough already with the ****ing victims.

A few things...

No one is claiming victimhood.

No one is claiming "cramming a lifestyle down someone's throat."

No one is claiming "hate crime."

This is about equal access to a public establishment. One that was empty at 10:00 p.m., where people were stopped at the door, causing a line to form. Those people should been permitted inside, then once at capacity, then form a line.

A few things...

No one is claiming victimhood.

No one is claiming "cramming a lifestyle down someone's throat."

No one is claiming "hate crime."

You did, on all counts, by way of the press release that you posted:

That this kind of discrimination is still legal in Houston makes it more outrageous. A coalition of GLBT rights groups, including the Houston GLBT Political Caucus, the Houston Stonewall Young Democrats, Impact Houston and Amicus at South Texas College of Law said Saturday that the incident is proof of the necessity of legal protections for sexual orientation and gender identity for public accommodations.

“Houston is the only major city in Texas without a law that prevents this kind of discrimination,” said Jerry Simoneaux, GLBT civil rights lawyer. “This incident is exactly the reason Houston should implement such an ordinance.”

Looks to me like the four political groups were claiming that there were victims and that there ought to be a law protecting said victims such as would create a new category of hate crime. And in calling for that law, they are promoting the idea that the owner of a private enterprise not be allowed to exercise his or her own individual views of morality...which is a clear case of cramming something down such a person's throat.

This is about equal access to a public establishment.

No, it really isn't. And no amount of carping by you will change that. A very large group of people attempted to protest inside of a business. They were prevented from doing so. End of story. I wouldn't allow ANY large group with an agenda inside my bar to promote their agenda. You, like this group, are ignoring that part. To make it more obvious for you, it is not racism to refuse entry to a Black man revving a chainsaw, and it is not discrimination to keep a group larger than the bar's capacity out of that bar.

Find another cause. You've lost this one miserably.

This is about equal access to a public establishment. One that was empty at 10:00 p.m., where people were stopped at the door, causing a line to form. Those people should been permitted inside, then once at capacity, then form a line.

It wasn't empty at 10:00 p.m. I'll concede that it wasn't exactly a packed house at that point, but I would think there were at least 40 people in there. Heck, I had about 10 people in my group alone

Archived