Houston Brutalist Architecture

I'm trying to compile a thread for all of the brutalist/neo brutalist buildings in Houston. There are a wide range of brutalist installations here.

-Alley Theater

-Moody Towers (UofH)

-Farish Hall (UofH)

-Agnes Arnold Hall (UofH)

-The Science and Research Complex (UofH)

Those are the ones I know off-hand. What are some other brutalist style buildings in our area?

Houston Post building at 610/59

You beat me to it.

Neiman Marcus store in the Galleria. Forgot who the architect was...

Don't forget the DIllard's (old Joske's) across the way.

The Flea Market II building next to the old Levitz furniture on 610 south.

The Flea Market II building next to the old Levitz furniture on 610 south.

I was just driving by there yesterday and I thought that might qualify.

Any other big HISD schools, like Sharpstown or Westbury, maybe? Seems like 60s institutional more or less equals Brutalist.

• 2 weeks later...
-The Science and Research Complex (UofH)

?

Maybe PGH?

I believe SR1 was designed by Mckee and Kamrath,very Wrightian & SR2 is of similar design and obviously built later. And HSC is by the same architect as the GRB convention center and reflects as much.

Farish Hall is great example of Brutalism. I did my first shading device studies on the fenestration.

For those whose don't know, anytime you see the patterned tie indentions in the concrete surface it's Brutalism. While it's easy to pick on these buildings b/c they are not outwardly "pretty" they are very important to the architectural profession relative to the time of their advent by the Smithsons and later perfected by Kahn

• 1 month later...

Maybe the AT&T/SWBell building on Fannin just north of OST (built around 1972)..

This is a low-quality streetview image, but the bell is still on the front of the building. It has been covered/filled in now.

t6bkme.jpg

Two different local live map images show it during and after the bell cover-up:

o5n9g3.jpg

x5c9py.jpg

There was a building that was torn down to make way for Toyota Center that had a Brutalist look similar to the downtown library. Don't know what it was though.

This one;

BrutalistHouston1.jpg

For some reason, I think that building had something to do with the water or electric company.

There was a building that was torn down to make way for Toyota Center that had a Brutalist look similar to the downtown library. Don't know what it was though.

This one;

For some reason, I think that building had something to do with the water or electric company.

Yeah, that was the Houston Lighting and Power Company's Energy Control Center (built 1972) designed by Caudill, Rowlett, and Scott.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived