I was thinking about the same thing the other day - a couple years ago (?) Houstonist recommended Acadian, and on my search, this place was the only bakery that google seemed to like for Houston (in Spring, though):

http://www.raosbakery.com/products2.asp

http://www.nextdaykingcake.com/

Cool, I've never heard of Acadian and it's close. Will also call 3 brothers and ask about theirs. Since the River Oaks location went away I never think about them.

A couple people have told me some bakeries don't bake the plastic babies inside anymore, you get them separately and can shove into the cake yourself. Fakes!

Cool, I've never heard of Acadian and it's close. Will also call 3 brothers and ask about theirs. Since the River Oaks location went away I never think about them.

A couple people have told me some bakeries don't bake the plastic babies inside anymore, you get them separately and can shove into the cake yourself. Fakes!

I'm stunned that Crunch has never heard of Acadian Bakery. It's yummy. Moeller's might make king cakes, too. If so, that would be worth a shot.

I'm surprised that any bakeries can get away with hiding a tiny plastic baby inside a cake. That seems like a guaranteed liability lawsuit.

HEB will have LOADS of them.

Aack. HEB's taste like sugary drywall. But thx anyway.

I'm still laughing over 'target rich environment.' love that. I need one of those.

I'm surprised that any bakeries can get away with hiding a tiny plastic baby inside a cake. That seems like a guaranteed liability lawsuit.

You'd think, but in LA, the Plaintiffs Capital of the World, they still bake the babies inside. Never heard of Acadian. Will go by at lunch tomorrow!!

I was thinking about the same thing the other day - a couple years ago (?) Houstonist recommended Acadian, and on my search, this place was the only bakery that google seemed to like for Houston (in Spring, though):

http://www.raosbakery.com/products2.asp

http://www.nextdaykingcake.com/

I second Acadian - order mine from them every year! I also order any other kind of cake I need and I'm never disappointed

I'd be interested to know the quality of Costco baked items.

Keep in mind that Bellaire is under construction near Moeller's. 3 Brothers is right down the road on South Braeswood. Both are excellent bakeries, but not sure about King Cake specifically.

I'm stunned that Crunch has never heard of Acadian Bakery. It's yummy. Moeller's might make king cakes, too. If so, that would be worth a shot.

Ah, yes! Moellers! Another office mate would get them from there. They were good, too.

I'm still laughing over 'target rich environment.' love that. I need one of those.

You pretty have that everytime you show up to a HAIF event Crunch. LOL!

Oh, and the HEB drywall ain't so bad. Besides it ain't really about the cake, it is about who gets stuck with the baby.

We are in Baton Rouge this weekend, and I've been told we will be harvesting a king cake while here. I always liked the crappy grocery store ones here better than fancy bakery ones. Not plain though, with cream or fruit filling.

EDIT: My wife is over my shoulder telling me to say that Hi Nabor (grocery store) in BR has the best ones. I guess we'll be going there!

We are in Baton Rouge this weekend, and I've been told we will be harvesting a king cake while here. I always liked the crappy grocery store ones here better than fancy bakery ones. Not plain though, with cream or fruit filling.

EDIT: My wife is over my shoulder telling me to say that Hi Nabor (grocery store) in BR has the best ones. I guess we'll be going there!

I am jealous. Stop taunting me with real king cake. My aunt and uncle get them from some place in Lake Charles, and usually bring them and visit because as aunt said "you people on the other side of Beaumont can't make a king cake." They're not coming this year. Sure will miss my friendly aunt. :)

Will try Acadia this year. I was just going to blow it off this year, but the Capn's birthday is next week and he requested King Cake in addition to birthday key lime pie, so who am I to deny a man his birthday sweets?

Randall's has them too, also noticed that depending on the store/neighborhood, grocery chains have both black cake babies and white cake babies.

I know this isn't the king cake the post is referring to, but I love the traditional french king cake version, the galettes du roi. I remember stocking up on cakes when Auchan was still in business. Now I have to settle for over-priced slices of the stuff at La Madeleine. Grrrrr. :angry2:

I got the baby!!

We received a King Cake via UPS today. It's from Manny Randazo's King Cakes in Metarie, LA. It's quite good and I got the baby!

What does it mean for me, good luck or something?

It means you get to claim a dependent on your taxes!!

Kidding. :) It means this Friday you host a party and supply the king cake for everyone to eat, then someone else gets the baby and has the next party. Repeat until lent.

It means you get to claim a dependent on your taxes!!

Kidding. :) It means this Friday you host a party and supply the king cake for everyone to eat, then someone else gets the baby and has the next party. Repeat until lent.

Oh darn. Well, I'm not Catholic, so I guess I'm exempt.

I looked up Manny Randazo's cakes and they are $44.95. I'm assuming that includes shipping. I mean cha ching! I'm sure there are less expensive ones locally that may not contain a problem child.

I looked up Manny Randazo's cakes and they are $44.95. I'm assuming that includes shipping. I mean cha ching! I'm sure there are less expensive ones locally that may not contain a problem child.

No one is exempt from buying the next king cake if you get the baby! Ain't nothing religious about that rule.

No one is exempt from buying the next king cake if you get the baby! Ain't nothing religious about that rule.

However, there is a silent rule that if you choke to death on the plastic baby, you're off the hook.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had some of the Kroger king cake (comes in the box pictured above with the choking hazard).

They had two kinds - regular and filled (the one I had was vanilla-filled). There's the icing on top, then vanilla icing-like stuff leaking all over. It was the most sugary food I've eaten in recent memory, but it was actually pretty good..

The golden baby was pretty creepy, though, outstretched arms and all..

Archived