Fireworks and gunfire last night

cottonmather0

Don't know about anywhere else in Houston, but right around midnight last night our neighborhood erupted like I had never heard before. At first I thought it was just a LOT of fireworks, but I didn't hear any of the whistling or extended popping like normal fireworks and it was loud enough and random enough that I'm pretty sure most of it was gunshots. We back up to the bayou and the apartments just south of 18th and it all seemed to be coming from that direction (and the bayou and Shady Acres beyond). The cops came a couple of times and it would stop but then it would start right back up again 20 minutes later. Went on until 2:00 or later.

For crying out loud, what's wrong with people?

Yeah, I know it happens all over town, but this is our fifth New Year in this house and I have never heard it here in our neighborhood like it was last night, that was my only point.

My wife kept saying, "that's a machine gun!" and after a while I quit disagreeing with her. Maybe it wasn't technically a machine gun, but there was certainly something fully automatic amid all the revelry last night.

As for firing guns, something needs to be done about those who will fire blindly in the air... the chances are slim, but falling bullets do kill. Firing guns is fine as long as the gun owner is responsible and present during the firing, but people need to take extra responsibility and fire at a solid target that will stop the bullet dead in its tracks.

I remember when I was about 4 years old, my Mom had left her bathroom ready to go to bed on a New Years Eve and then a crash sound came through the bathroom. A falling bullet had come in through the window and hit the tile, in the exact spot she was standing only minutes prior.

And the firing of fireworks seemed to be going off big time last night. Passing through some neighborhoods on the way to Friend's houses I saw quite a few good shows. Wonder if sales overall were up this year from last?

Archived